Is new BMW Longlife 17 FE Castrol Edge EP 0w20?

Given the fact that Castrol is now the supplier to BMW, is it safe to assume that Castrol Edge EP 0w20 is the new Longlife 17 FE? After all it meets MB 229.71 specs. Anyone with insight about this? I don't have a sample of the new Castrol to send to Blackstone for comparison unfortunately, my older top-off oil is the Shell made 0w20 BMW TPT oil. Yes, I know it officially "doesn't meet the specs" but my guess it's probably the same oil. Thoughts, comments???

Plus if it doesn't "officially" meet the requirements for the approval, then well, it doesn't meet them.

Having said that, I wouldn't use a 2.6 HT/HS oil in my BMW but if I did then MB 229.71 might be an acceptable alternative. Which BMW do you have?

X3 2.0 ltr turbo. Wife's car. She is my Deutsch Frau...always on the gas. We just had our last "free" dealer service about a week ago. So as always I was looking for an alternative for our future oil changes. I thought that MB 229.71 was such a stringent spec, that Castrol Edge EP was sufficient for a BMW. Given that Castrol is now the suppliers to BMW. I thought maybe it was the same oil without the specs.

Plus if it doesn't "officially" meet the requirements for the approval, then well, it doesn't meet them.

Having said that, I wouldn't use a 2.6 HT/HS oil in my BMW but if I did then MB 229.71 might be an acceptable alternative. Which BMW do you have?
X3 2.0 ltr turbo. Wife's car. She is my Deutsch Frau...always on the gas. We just had our last "free" dealer service about a week ago. So as always I was looking for an alternative for our future oil changes. I thought that MB 229.71 was such a stringent spec, that Castrol Edge EP was sufficient for a BMW. Given that Castrol is now the suppliers to BMW. I thought maybe it was the same oil without the specs.

Castrol 5W-30LL from Walmart.com with VW 504 00 and Porsche C30 approvals would be my pick. On rollback for $21.62/5 quarts.

Which X3? What year?
You don’t have to use LL17FE. Switch to LL01 or LL04.

So she drives it hard and makes use of that turbo and i assume it's brand new since the first free oil change is gone. It may not be "certified" but i'd use anything thicker just to be safe and change it more frequently. A small turbo engine being ran hard shouldn't have a 2.7hths oil in it even if its high spec.

I'd use a 30 or 40 grade you wont see a noticeable difference in mpg and if you try to appease possible future warranty claims you may have issues after that time. I'd give PP 0w-40 a go. Can't do any gdi turbo engine harm it's api sp rated. Don't think id use a higher saps oil.

So she drives it hard and makes use of that turbo and i assume it's brand new since the first free oil change is gone. It may not be "certified" but i'd use anything thicker just to be safe and change it more frequently. A small turbo engine being ran hard shouldn't have a 2.7hths oil in it even if its high spec.

I'd use a 30 or 40 grade you wont see a noticeable difference in mpg and if you try to appease possible future warranty claims you may have issues after that time. I'd give PP 0w-40 a go. Can't do any gdi turbo engine harm it's api sp rated. Don't think id use a higher saps oil.
These engines require much more than API SP.
If it is N20 engine best bet is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
If it is B58 engine, any oil that has combination of LL04 and MB229.52 like Motul 5W30 X-Clean+.

These engines require much more than API SP.
If it is N20 engine best bet is Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40.
If it is B58 engine, any oil that has combination of LL04 and MB229.52 like Motul 5W30 X-Clean+.
Well i say api sp in terms of saps for lspi concerns but its as stout as the other sn rated euros since it has vw and mb ratings (no bmw but no big deal really) just with less calcium and more magnesium. The newer 4 cyl bmw's use the B series engine if I'm not mistaken that's turbo and gdi. No port injection so lspi can be trickier. Now that could violate a warranty claim but it'd be next to impossible with an sp rated euro even if it isn't bmw rated. It just doesn't have the recipe to harm.

Well i say api sp in terms of saps for lspi concerns but its as stout as the other sn rated euros since it has vw and mb ratings (no bmw but no big deal really) just with less calcium and more magnesium. The newer 4 cyl bmw's use the B series engine if I'm not mistaken that's turbo and gdi. No port injection so lspi can be trickier. Now that could violate a warranty claim but it'd be next to impossible with an sp rated euro even if it isn't bmw rated. It just doesn't have the recipe to harm.
Previous 4cyl was also DI engine but didn’t have LSPI issues.
It is boost issue not DI issue. B48 had some LSPI occurrences, it is usually related to eco mode and too much boost.
API SP has generic LSPI test on an engine that doesn’t have LSPI issues (Ford 2.3 turbo). MB229.52 has far more stringent requirements across the board including LSPI test. Many C3 oils don’t have API certification at all. It is irrelevant in these engines.

I would look into some equivalent to the 0W30 LL-01FE oil. It’s good enough for the M versions of the B motors.
I think this is my bet bet because It's under warranty until 2024.
I wasn't clear earlier.... (first post)🤣
"Certified" 2019 X3 B48 (I think) motor. Had free oil changes till 36k. This run will put us around 40k, so it's on me from now on.

I will probably just go TPT w/ Mann filter from FCP Euro.

"Certified" 2019 X3 B48 (I think) motor. Had free oil changes till 36k. This run will put us around 40k, so it's on me from now on.

Oh, and good idea to have an alignment done and have them set the front toe to 8 minutes toe in per wheel (16 minutes total) before the outside edge of the front tires gets unevenly worn. The factory spec is terrible.

I would still go with oil that has LL04 and MB229.52, but here is good LL01 FE:

Back