Is" Mowing The Lawn" A Mans Job ?

Is "Mowing The Lawn" a Mans job or does everyone in your household do it. Both of my neighbors wives mow theres.

Nope. We have had dueling garden tractors for at least 15 years. That is also true when we had a smaller yard and did walk behind mowing.

Neighbors split theirs 50/50 usually
I like to do mine I offer the wife the push trimming job if she wants to help.
(about 10min with self propelled mower)
her tractor driving(316 deere hydro transmission) is um. terrible. she blows grass on uncut grass doesnt drive straight lines etc.
she also missed some little slices.
Then she askes how she did.. how do I reply :poop: :censored:

She also wanted to surprise me once and mowed with the deck full down (I usually go full down then raise it back up about 1" sometimes you need that extra 1" down for mowing on slope.)

mowed at 1/3 throttle full speed on hydro lever.

Trying to explain you mow at full throttle and 1/3 speed on the hydro and why its different
luckily engine didnt blow from super heavy load and low cooling.
also blades were half speed or less so crap cut..

Could only laugh. so I didnt cry.. poor tractor.

The farm 316 has 5000+ hours on it now.. conservatively. I should craigslist it for 800.. and buy another one that was owned by guy who mowed 20 hours a year with it but sentimental reasons to keep that one.

Last edited:
Neighbors split theirs 50/50 usually
I like to do mine I offer the wife the push trimming job if she wants to help.
(about 10min with self propelled mower)
her tractor driving is um. terrible. she blows grass on uncut grass doesnt drive straight lines etc.
she also missed some little slices.
Then she askes how she did.. how do I reply :poop: :censored:

She also wanted to surprise me once and mowed with the deck full down (I usually back it up about 1")
mowed at 1/3 throttle full speed.

Trying to explain you mow at full throttle and 1/3 speed on the hydro and why its different
luckily engine didnt blow from super heavy load and low cooling.
also blades were half speed or less so crap cut.. lol.

Could only laugh. so I didnt cry.. poor tractor.
How do you answer?.. Looks great hon, thanks!

The man's job is getting the mower started for the lady;

mowing lawn.jpg

My previous home had 3 acres of grass to mow. Usually, I would mow but she would trim and use the blower. The nice thing about the stand-on rider was her or I would stand on it with the backpack blower and blow clippings off the 208' concrete driveway and the road.

Before we were married, my wife mowed the yard some, and her dad did some. About a week after we got married/I moved in she looked at me and said "The yard needs to be mowed"...and that was that. No one else has done it since then.

Neighbors on one side take turns. Others side is a single lady(more or less-married but separated) and she normally mows. She's recovering from surgery now and her husband has mowed it a few times but I mow it most of the time. Across the street and behind us use a mowing service, and in one other neighboring yard usually one of them trims while the other mows.

I mow the lawn at both our homes. One has 1 and a third acre and the other has .88 acre. Lofs of trees and liquid weed eater usage. My wife used to mow when I was working but as we have gotten older she doesn't do that anymore. I do most of the vacuuming too

My friend has always just ignored it and then his wife (being a farm girl), just stepped right up and took over about 20 years ago. She is very much so taken advantage of, she goes out and mows the three arce area all day, bought a brush hog and mows down an acre of wild bushy area a few times a year.

He doesn't do jack,.

My son and I mow but we've recently mentioned getting a riding mower. When that comes up, my wife said "Maybe I'll help mow then..." 🙄

My previous home had 3 acres of grass to mow. Usually, I would mow but she would trim and use the blower. The nice thing about the stand-on rider was her or I would stand on it with the backpack blower and blow clippings off the 208' concrete driveway and the road.

As a motorcyclist, I hope you aren't really blowing fresh grass clippings on the road.

My bride can mow, but I beat her to it. For the two of us, it is a contest, as it is physical labor (yup, we are that sick couple). If I mow, she runs the weedeater and backpack blower. Chores are much shorter and easier since moving to the city.

Back