Is" Mowing The Lawn" A Mans Job ?

My daughter has been running a large industrial tractor since she was ten or 12. 42 inch snow blower or big dozer blade. 60 inch driveshaft deck with hydro lift and power steering and split brakes and 2 speed rear end / locking diff...
The tractor is big and because its power everything my daughter does not break any nails.
I have a pair of large tractors at times she does the big mowing areas and I do the close to the house stuff.. i use the 48 deck and my daughter uses the 5 foot deck.
My daughter is able to run a chainsaw as well. But i keep her with electric so far.

If you have kids, it should be their job, along with other chores. I was put to work mowing at an early age, I thought it was fun at the time.

At 7 these became my job -mow/trim, snow removal, splitting and stacking 2-3 cords a season, and twice a year garage cleaning.

I'll never forget the line I got when handed these chores. "This is why I had a a son"

Currently Mrs. Uncle Dave handles the lawn and garden care for our 1.5 acres .
She likes doing it and Im not going fight her on it.

When I was a kid I got paid $10 to mow the yard. Once I reached high school, I was *expected* to mow the yard:D

I used to work on a grounds crew for a zoo for summers in university, and using the zero turn mowers and trimmers were women's jobs, almost exclusively. Back then the guys did more of the construction and maintenance work, except painting, that was a girl job most of the time too.
At my house though, the lawn is quite hilly and it would be easy to tip the riding mower, so I do it. She does the gardening so its a pretty fair deal I guess. My wife used to use a push mower at her parents house, when she was a teen, but not ever at our house.

Mowing sucks. I have a home under construction and really don't want to mow if I don't have to.
We have needed to mow twice a week this season in central Ohio. I'm consulting with a company, Autmow on robotic mowers.

If you have kids, it should be their job, along with other chores. I was put to work mowing at an early age, I thought it was fun at the time.
I agree. I believe that many of today's 'kids' spend too much time on their 'electronic' devices and not enough time doing chores etc...it causes 'boredom' which leads to nothing positive.

PS: I can't answer the OPs question....I'm not a biologist.

I agree. I believe that many of today's 'kids' spend too much time on their 'electronic' devices and not enough time doing chores etc...it causes 'boredom' which leads to nothing positive.

PS: I can't answer the OPs question....I'm not a biologist.
It's mostly the parent's fault for not instilling some degree of work ethic into their kids. The kids sure have no sense of guilt when their father is out laboring in the yard while they sit inside, comfy playing games.

My wife mows our yard. She has always said she enjoys it, so what kind of monster would I have to be to take that joy from her?

My mother always mowed ours until I was old enough to do it. Even then , when I was still living at home, she would sneak a mow in and do it before I was able to. My father has terrible hay fever / grass allergies , she likes to do it so why not?

We had a corded electric mower for the longest time. I remember her hitting the cord a lot.

Her knees are bad and she can barely walk and my father is housebound. So they now pay someone to do it. I'd do it , but I live 73 miles away and can't make it up every weekend to mow.

Last edited:
Ever since I started doing lawns as a side business I’ve been frankly quite shocked at the amount of parents who tell me “I gave up trying to get my kids to do it”. I’m talking teenagers living at home with the summer off. It’s like pulling teeth to get some of the little slugs to just move some of their junk out of the way so I can mow the lawn they should be mowing. When I was a teenager dad didn’t give up he made us do the lawn one way or another. Makes you wonder about the future.

I push the mower and she pushes the vacuum. Her vacuuming season is 12 months whereas my mowing season is maybe 7-8 months max here in the Northeast! Sounds fair to me though she may disagree.

Back