Is 'most wear at startup' a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a conventional wisdom that the most engine wear occurs at startup and the reason given is that the oil has drained to the oil pan.

Well, last week I wiped the oil dipstick clean, drove the car, and then it was parked for 4 days without being driven. Before starting I pulled the dipstick and there was an oil film on it extending well above the oil level mark which would be the oil splashed on it when the engine had run the last time.

So, if there is an oil layer on the dipstick then it is logical that it should be on the other parts of the engine.

BTW, it's a Mobil1 5W-20 SM oil.

I would love to think this a myth, but there are a lot of variable at play - oil viscosity and flow, part fitment, blow-by and condensation, etc.
dunno.gif

Wear at startup continues until everything is up to normal operating temperature. The cranking at startup is just a small part of it all. If you have a lot of starts for a give mileage you might have more wear than the same milesage with fewer starts. In fleet experience, vehicles that do short run driving generate more maintenance than vehicles that have mostly long trips.

I think it should be obvious why oem's do not put in items, such as 1. preoiler 2. bypass oil filter.

No less a rag as Consumer Reports said it was ok to change even NYC taxi cab's oil at 6,000 miles (extensive idling and obvious short stop and go driving). That was with conventional oil at THAT TIME!!! (oils meet higher standards NOW)

Like Curious says ..it's mostly a play on words. It's anything other than "stead state". That means that 90% of your wear is unavoidable. The rest you either add to or detract from. Like vitamin therapy ..or smoking
shocked.gif

The taxi cabs did not go through thermal cycling from cold to warm and back to cold, as often as cars in the hands of normal users. I don't know if the taxi use was much worse or not. All that can be really said is that it is very different. The only way to really avoid startup wear is not to start your engine, not a good solution. Overall trip length, driving habits and weather will have more to do with wear than the normal amount of starts.

I don't doubt that that statement is true. The degree to which it is true should be the question. So what if most of the wear to an engine does occur at start up? How much wear are we really talking about and what could be done about it, realistically? I doubt it is an amount that should keep someone awake at night, since just about any well maintained engine is good for 100k miles or more. Even 200k miles or 300k miles is fairly common enough, and all of those engines had start-ups for their entire lives and some degree of start-up wear. I think I'd rather worry about something more productive myself.
smile.gif

A hydrodynamic film doesn't develop till the parts are moving over each other fairly rapidly, so it's fair to say that startup is not easy duty for an engine.

"The taxi cabs did not go through thermal cycling from cold to warm and back to cold, as often as cars in the hands of normal users. I don't know if the taxi use was much worse or not. All that can be really said is that it is very different. The only way to really avoid startup wear is not to start your engine, not a good solution. Overall trip length, driving habits and weather will have more to do with wear than the normal amount of starts. "

Actually you hit on the gist of my post. Also with the advent of OLM becoming more popular and more mainstream as you live with one for a while you really start to see the OCI goes down given a heavier count of frequent start up and frequent turn off peppered with short runs. It is really a mini calculator and it does the tallying. Also I am not sure how to do the search exactly but a lot of posters have mentioned the OLM comes very close to oil analysis in term of "useful life remaining"

Here is a write up on the GM version.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/fun_stuff/may2002/page002.html

That's probably true, Jay ..but it's, I believe, outstripped by the length of service in an elevated wear state ..for 99% of the typical engine's operating life. Sure second for second ..but you've got just about every engine out there never operating in a steady state condtion to any extent. Everyone would have to operate 45 minutes in each starting event to have 50% steady state wear conditions. Now it's fair to say that the wear is probably not linear ..and that engines with shorter events per start will have a higher wear toll accessed on them per mile.

This is from a previous post of mine:

SAE Congress -

I reviewed articles from the SAE conferences on powertrain and fluid systems in Tampa, Fl of October 2004 and the Paris 2000 conference. See SAE SP-1894 and SP-1550. Here are some excepts:

A New Method of Measuring Aeration and Deaeration of Fluids, Morgan et al:
Air in oil causes oxidation, wasted power, higher oil temperatures, loss of lubricity among other adverse effects. Higher RPM increases aeration, so does increasing oil viscosity. (‘Just FYI).

Effect of Break-In and Operating Conditions on Piston Ring and Cylinder Bore Wear in SI (Spark-Ignition) Engines, Schneider et al:
The rate of wear is much higher within 15-20 minutes of start-up than after reaching normal operating temperature. There was a lot of data but I conclude that the initial start-up time period (first 20 minutes) result is 100 nanometers of wear whereas the steady state wear rate was only 4 nanometers per hour thereafter. (Hence we should be concerned about start-up oil thickness more than running thickness. This justifies the statement that 95 percent of engine wear occurs just after start-up).

Application of a Biodegradable Lubricant in Two Flexible Fuel Vehicles, Jesper Schramm:
Vegetable biodegradable oils were used showing good wear characteristics despite excessive thinning over time. (These may be next !)

The SMAC, Under Pressure Oil Aeration Measurement System in Running Engines, Bregent et al:
Oil aging, valve train and bearing problems and thermal problems occur with aeration. Below 110 C there is no problem but as one goes up the aeration ratio increases rapidly. (A cooler running engine from a thinner, faster flowing oil may lubricate better for this reason alone - aeration was a “hot” topic).

Development of the Sequence IV A Valve Train Wear Lubrication Test:part 1, Sagawa et al:
Viscosity data reveals that the more viscous oil did not significantly alter the cam angle of minimum oil film thickness. Of greater importance is the finding that the higher viscosity oil continued to exhibit boundary layer lubrication. (Ergo thicker is not necessarily better).
The effect of engine intake air humidity was significant so that tests are now done with specified humidity conditions.
It was postulated that fuel dilution of oil would elevate cam wear. Fuel dilution of 4.5 percent did not effect wear. (This would have the effect of lowering the viscosity about 1 grade).

The Effects of Crankcase Oil Viscosity on Engine Friction at Low Temperatures, Cockbill et al:
By using lower viscosity oils there is less friction, improved cold weather starting, improved fuel economy, a savings of starting system components and less wear by increasing the rate of oil pressurization and flow in the upper oil galleries.

Evaluation of Oil Performance Using the Tu High Temperature Engine Test With a View to Extending Oil Drain Intervals, Bouvier et al:
Oxidation and thickening is the limiting factor for oil longevity. Generally modern oils thin only 10 percent then thicken up to 60 percent within as little as 96 hrs. of operation ( -in the accelerated test engine. Let me comment that all test criteria are designed to mimic real engine operating conditions but at an accelerated rate).
There is accelerated acidification and corrosive wear that occurs.
Oil thickening was also time dependent. Thickening at 30,000 km was 2 times more when done over 21 months than over a 10 month period. (Change your oil every spring as I suggested before).

Development of the Sequence III G Engine Oil Certification Test, Clark et al:
Engine tests were made more severe again. (Over the years the oil ratings have improved but this has always been despite the increase in testing severity. It was III ...D, E, F, and is now III G). The oil inlet temperature was decreased from 155 to 150 C. The test was 80 and is now 100 hours. There were 8 oil level adjustments allowed now there are 5. The inlet engine air temperature was raised from 27 to 35 C. The engine load was increased 25 percent.
Despite all this the current 0W-20 oils were still GF-4 compliant and showed minimal wear characteristics as long as ZDP levels were higher than 0.03 percent. (The SM rated oils I have seen so far have levels of 0.08).

Other papers showed how they always consider older engines when formulating new oils for full backwards compatibility.
There was a lot on using thinner oils and how they do not result in excessive wear as previously feared. This is in part because of modern additives.

This stuff was very, very interesting. I will reiterate that you should use the latest, highest rated oil in your car regardless of it’s age. By definition all oils are backward compatible.
Use a grade thinner than you may at first think is best. Always use the oil with the lowest first number in the grade - use 0W-30 instead of 10W-30 and for many reasons use synthetic but mainly because of less wear and tear at start-up!

aehaas

I wonder if engine wear has anything to do with the stroke or bore of the engine? I know many of the smaller little 4cyls for example run almost the same cold as they do hot - unlike my GM V6 and many V8s I've had. They need more babying until hot to run right.

quote:

This is not a myth but true fact!

When I get out of bed in the morning, my wear is very likely temporarily elevated. Once I've taken a shower and reached operating temperature, wear appears to decrease, as suggested by decreased creaking of joints and less incoherent muttering.

I agree with LarryL, it's not just from the initial startup, but from the entire time after a cold start until the engine is up to temperature (oil temperature that is) that your engine has higher levels of wear.

which makes it bad for ppl like me that only drives 16 mile one way to work and then back. i can be at my job in 20 to 25 mins on a normal day unless i'm doing 80 hehe and make it there in 15 mins ... maybe we all should use something super thin like water! jk

--Idoxash--

"I think it should be obvious why oem's do not put in items, such as 1. preoiler 2. bypass oil filter."

Yeah, like maybe they don't want the engine to last forever? They are in the business of selling cars. If they last forever, well, they don't sell cars. I think simple economics is in play here.

As for engine wear at startup? I totally believe that this is where *most* all wear comes from, minus the break-in wear of a new or rebuilt engine.....assuming the vehicle is properly maintained with regular oil/filter changes, etc.

Is it start up wear mainly due to;

A) the momentary lack of oil pressure during the first 5 seconds?
B) the AW additives are not 100% functional when cold?
C) the viscocity is too thick when cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back