Is Mobil1 0w-40 A Group IV Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of internet stories going around about Mobil1 being cut back to group 3 oil, not sure how acccurate that is. Since I use Mobil1 0w-40 I was wondering if it is mainly group 4 oil. Given the specs and price , I would think it is still group 4, though I know how things can change quickly in the oil market. I can now find Amsoil and Redline motor oil at similar cost to Mobil1 so if Mobil1 is being cut back I might consider a change. Although everything I've seen on their 0w-40 is pretty impressive.

Any 0W oil meeting MB 229.5 has to be mostly or all Group 4 rather than Group 3 due to volatility limit of 10% and it being a 0W oil. Source: an additive company.

Originally Posted By: JSRT4
Lots of internet stories going around about Mobil1 being cut back to group 3 oil, not sure how acccurate that is. Since I use Mobil1 0w-40 I was wondering if it is mainly group 4 oil. Given the specs and price , I would think it is still group 4, though I know how things can change quickly in the oil market. I can now find Amsoil and Redline motor oil at similar cost to Mobil1 so if Mobil1 is being cut back I might consider a change. Although everything I've seen on their 0w-40 is pretty impressive.

question: where can you get Amsoil for a similar price to M1? I'm in Toronto, and I'd love to know where you can get it.

thanks for the quick reply, yeah I believe the specs of 0w-40 pretty much make it have to be group 4, although I'm not sure if GC 0w-30 is group 4, thought it meets some pretty high specs. Any truth to the claim of Mobil1 switching to group 3 formulas for their other Mobil1 synthetic viscosities ?.

I seen it at Parts Source (CT subsidiary) for about $9.00 a bottle, sometimes [censored] Tire has sales on it, and I just paid $8.99 for Mobil1 0w-40 at Parts Source. Either way the price difference has closed substantially in recent times, where they used to be much further apart price wise.

although I'm not sure if GC 0w-30 is group 4, thought it meets some pretty high specs.

Yes, GC is group IV also.

Originally Posted By: drewjp
although I'm not sure if GC 0w-30 is group 4, thought it meets some pretty high specs.

proof? (since switch to gold)

Originally Posted By: CMB
Originally Posted By: drewjp

proof? (since switch to gold)
The content of my above post most likely proves it. Plus the volatility of Gold GC measured nearly identical to Green GC when I tested both not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back