Is Mobil 1 causing my engine to be buzzy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 I4 accord. For the past 20K miles or so, near redline, the engine sometimes becomes really buzzy. It seemed to happen after I switched to Mobil 1 0w-20. Car specs 5w-20. It's been happning for a while, but my warranty period is almost over so I need to figure out if this is a problem and worth trying to fix.

No, its not the M1. Its the oil filter with the (clicker} bypass valve. My Vtec Integra did not do well with any filter with the clicker bypass oil filter. Try a NAPA Gold with the old fasioned spring type filter.......

Oh really... Do Mobil 1 oil filters have this type of "clicker" in them too? If so, that explains one of the great mysteries/annoyances I'm currently having with my Honda D17!

I switched filters to a K&N from a PureOne and the buzzing is still there, but reduced a little bit. The PureOne was indeed a clicker type valve, while the K&N has a spring one. Still using mobil 1 0w-20.

This sound seems to be coming from the far right side of the engine compartment. I am thinking possible timing chain.

Car is still barely in warranty, I am thinking about taking it back, but to replicate the problem, the car must be driven hard and I'm not sure how I am gonna pass that off to the dealer without them claiming I am abusing the car, or them abusing it themselves.

OK, less buzzing with different filter.

Oil filter caused oil pressure loss, or oil filter bypass caused harmonics(clicker valves).
Even though the 20wt oils UOA great, give the 5w30 a try.

Use a different filter like the normal purolater premium, STP, supertech, honda OEM.....and see what happens.

What I don't like is your use of the word "sometimes" which could be any variable like idler pulley, waterpump, powersteering pump, slipping belts, or NORMAL engine high rpm buzziness exaggerated by leaving the stereo off or using Q-tips. Turn up the radio!

quote:

Turn up the radio! [/QB]

lol.gif

offtopic.gif
That actually works great for me to drown out all the different body vibrations at various road speeds. Of course the muffler must be "turned up" too so you can still hear it purr.
grin.gif

Of course the radio goes off quickly if I suspect an engine noise.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

offtopic.gif
That actually works great for me to drown out all the different body vibrations at various road speeds.
grin.gif

TallPaul, I didnt know you were a Corvette Owner!
wink.gif

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

offtopic.gif
That actually works great for me to drown out all the different body vibrations at various road speeds.
grin.gif

TallPaul, I didnt know you were a Corvette Owner!
wink.gif

Gene

Hey I heard that!
smile.gif

Seriously though, I owned an 84 Corvette and it definitely rattled like crazy! But my 98 Corvette doesn't rattle at all, it's built very solid. When they redesigned it in 1997 they took great lengths to make sure that a low NVH number was one of their top priorities. And they succeeded.

quote:

Originally posted by unDummy:
OK, less buzzing with different filter.

Oil filter caused oil pressure loss, or oil filter bypass caused harmonics(clicker valves).
Even though the 20wt oils UOA great, give the 5w30 a try.

Use a different filter like the normal purolater premium, STP, supertech, honda OEM.....and see what happens.

What I don't like is your use of the word "sometimes" which could be any variable like idler pulley, waterpump, powersteering pump, slipping belts, or NORMAL engine high rpm buzziness exaggerated by leaving the stereo off or using Q-tips. Turn up the radio!

It doesn't always happen, it seems to happen mainly when it is cold outside and the engine hasn't been running more than say 15-20 minutes.

This has me thinking. My Jeep has been making a funny ticking/clicking noise, now that you mention it from the oil filter area. It only does it for about the first 15 seconds when starting it in single digit temperatures. GC and a M1-301. Hmmmmm.
dunno.gif
Unfortunately the GC and M1 filter are a little too expensive to warrant much experimentation.

I just rented an `03 Mazda Protege that buzzed like something was going to break about 1k short of the redline and then up to redline. My first inclination was the pee-water lubricant (5-30)...but all in the name of fuel efficiency...
grin.gif

Dr. T, I see rental cars as test vehicles -- test vehicles for extremely brutal and demanding driving conditions.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Seriously though, I owned an 84 Corvette and it definitely rattled like crazy! But my 98 Corvette doesn't rattle at all, it's built very solid.

Patman each of my four C4's improved in NVH from 1986 to 1996. My C5 was tons better however.

Gene

quote:

Originally posted by Gene K:

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

Seriously though, I owned an 84 Corvette and it definitely rattled like crazy! But my 98 Corvette doesn't rattle at all, it's built very solid.

Patman each of my four C4's improved in NVH from 1986 to 1996. My C5 was tons better however.

Gene

I agree, I drove an 85 Corvette and it was 100% better than my 84 Corvette. Then I test drove an 86 and it too was yet another leap ahead. I never drove a 94-96 but I heard they did a lot to improve things there.

But as you stated, the C5 is definitely a big jump up from any C4. I don't think the C6 is as big of a difference. I still prefer the looks of my 98 Corvette over the C6, although I sure would love to have it's 400hp! And it's rumored to be getting a 5 speed auto finally, for 2006 perhaps, so that would be something I'd love to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back