Is M1 EP rated ACEA A5/B5???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 rated as ACEA A5/B5????

In the Mobil 1 website is rated as ACEA A1/B1 but in Amazon the picture of the bottle carries both ratings.

8152yws9GgL._SL1500_.jpg

So, what gives? either the website is wrong, or the A5/B5 rating was dropped recently??

That is an old bottle.

The new M1 bottles do indeed show an ACEA downgrade, a process which started over the summer.

No 20-grade M1 has any ACEA rating anymore. Plain 5w20, AFE 0w20, EP 5w20, EP 0w20. None are ACEA anymore.

The 30-grades are now only A1/B1 and no more A5/B5. This applies to all 30's except HM 10w30 which is A3/B3 (see below)
5w30
10w30
AFE 0w30
EP 5w30
EP 10w30
HM 5w30

M1 HM 10w30, and all passenger-car 40's (except 0w40), and 15w50 are now only A3/B3 and no more A3/B4.
HM 10w30
HM 10w40
5w40
15w50

[TDT 5w40 is E7 since it's more of an HDEO, like Rotella T6, but even here M1 TDT doesn't have ACEA E9 which other HDEO's do have]

0w40 and 5w50 are the only M1 oils that are still A3/B4. (Yeah, I didn't know they offered 5w50 over here, either. It must be new! Now the question is, has anyone seen 5w50 in Walmart yet?)

There are no A5/B5 M1 oils in the US
frown.gif

FWIW, PP and Edge *do* meet A5/B5 in 5w30.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
(Yeah, I didn't know they offered 5w50 over here, either. It must be new! Now the question is, has anyone seen 5w50 in Walmart yet?)

It's not new, but according to XOM, it's a limited distribution product, not sold at most retailers.

Why, Oh God, why????

seriously, what could be the reason for the downgrade?

Since A5/B5 differs from A1/B1 in: shearing stability, resistance to biodiesel and a wear test in a diesel engine. I think that the reason is the shearing stability, because if it were for the diesel part they could do like Valvoline and just rate their oil as A1/A5.

And what would be the effect of using an A1/B1 oil in a car that requires A5/B5?? Time to move away from M1??

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
(Yeah, I didn't know they offered 5w50 over here, either. It must be new! Now the question is, has anyone seen 5w50 in Walmart yet?)

It's not new, but according to XOM, it's a limited distribution product, not sold at most retailers.

Napa has carried it for some time. It has in the past been included in their M1 sale pricing.

Napa M1 5W50

[TDT 5w40 is E7 since it's more of an HDEO, like Rotella T6, but even here M1 TDT doesn't have ACEA E9 which other HDEO's do have]

The Delvac 1 5w-40 does have that, along with E7, and the Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 throws an E6 on top of that.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

Napa has carried it for some time. It has in the past been included in their M1 sale pricing.

Napa M1 5W50

Thanks! I remember seeing it somewhere, just couldn't recall where.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

Napa M1 5W50

Yes, this is the ONLY place I have actually seen it on the shelf/in the rack.

Here in Sweden Mobile 1 FE 0w30 is the only A5/B5 oil from Mobile i can find.
2760841007.jpg

Mobil 1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 uppfyller eller överträffar kraven enligt:
ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5
API SL, SJ
I just got my order from Estonia for better price than here in Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back