Is LC20 a solvent? Can it be used with "thin" oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know where I read this here but someone noted that oils like 5w20 are thin enough and adding a "solvent" like LC20 is not a good idea. I've been using it with my 5w20 havoline dino ever since I hit 3000 miles on my Honda Vtec V6. Any thoughts as to the validity of this statement? Will LC20 have a tendency to "water down" or dilute an oil?

More like a penetrating oil that sacrificies itself to oxidants the byproduct of the degradation being a decent lubricant.

Last edited:
Others have reported that a VOA of LC20 shows about the viscosity of a 20 weight oil, so it might thin down a 40 weight ever so slightly (at the roughly 6% treat rate) but it would be essentially imperceptible.

In a 5w20 it would be non existent.

No you will be fine.If you were adding LC20 to a 30,40,50Wt. oil etc... It could dillute the viscosity. It is not going to hurt the 20Wt.'s viscosity.

Here's an interesting question....

If you were to run an API Engine Sequence test under controlled conditions; using the same oil with and without LC20, would it make any significant difference in how the oil performs in terms of wear, deposits, oil consumption, TBN retention, etc???

I rather doubt it....

The API sequence test is relatively easy for the typical modern conventional to pass. Try running the more difficult ACEA A3 battery with and without LC, and you will likely see a more significant difference.

LC's strength is in its oxidation control ability. When added even under the older dosage rate, any thinning of the host oil viscosity is marginal at worst. Good stuff.

That and the prevention of varnish/sludge. Preventatives rarely show significant differences in tests like that and I doubt that dosing for time or mileage would be allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back