Is it worth getting Mazda 0W-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m at 65k miles on a mix of Castrol Professional 0w-20 (dealership oil), Mobil1 0w-20 AFE, Castrol Edge 0w-20, Castrol Edge Extreme Performance 0w-20, and now Pennzoil Ulta Platinum 0w-20. Conditions were split between California and Canada.

Out of all of those, the Castrol Edge EP was the only one that the engine consumed oil.

I’ll probably keep going with Pennzoil Platinum since it’s a little thicker for fuel dilution. The dealerships in Canada offer Petro-Canada Supreme for a reasonable price that I’ve been meaning to try also. I think that’s what they use in the dealerships here instead of Castrol.

Just change it often, especially if you’re in severe service territory.

I'm at 90K miles on my 2012 M3 SKY. I used the Mazda oil for the first OC, which was changed at 7,500 miles - no early removal of the FF. After that I've gone with M1 using microGreen filters (10K filter change, 30K OCI). OH, THE HORROR!

Shopping for a CX-5 soon. Went to Zepro web site and saw they have 0W20 dexos1 and advanced Moly. Amazon sells both and it would be easy to get the wrong one. Really don't know if the wrong one would be that wrong but what would happen if it were. What is the difference? What does the Moly do that dexos1 does not? Anything to do with consumption?

Mazda factory fill is high in Moly. I'm not sure but seems direct injection cars have high moly oil.

Originally Posted By: Randy_R
Shopping for a CX-5 soon. Went to Zepro web site and saw they have 0W20 dexos1 and advanced Moly. Amazon sells both and it would be easy to get the wrong one. Really don't know if the wrong one would be that wrong but what would happen if it were. What is the difference? What does the Moly do that dexos1 does not? Anything to do with consumption?

Moly is a great component and all oils have it in one form or another. I would and I am sticking with a major brand SN+ d1G2 oil for our CX5. Just because a oil has several hundred ppm of moly does not make it better. In the end, running quality oil with regular changes and a good filter will ensure your Mazda runs a long long time.

I'm not so sure that dilution is an issue for the Skyactiv engines. I am using microGreen filters on my 2012 Mazda3 w/Skyactiv and after my first 30,000 mile OCI the UOA indicated the viscosity had become close to a light 30W. And, that was running regular gas. I'm currently using 88 octane E15 in the thing. The fuel economy hasn't changed significantly and the performance has seemed (anecdote warning) a bit better.

Thank you guys! Sorry took me awhile to post. I ended up going with Castrol Edge 0W-20 and I picked up a few Mazda Filters (the ones made in Thailand) at the dealer while I was up there for the free oil change. I'll at least use those for now while its under the warranty.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Thank you guys! Sorry took me awhile to post. I ended up going with Castrol Edge 0W-20 and I picked up a few Mazda Filters (the ones made in Thailand) at the dealer while I was up there for the free oil change. I'll at least use those for now while its under the warranty.

Excellent choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back