Is it time? Hitting that 75K mark.

I'm getting to the mark on my odometer that matches the mileage on the HM bottles of oil 😆. It's for the chevy trax. Car runs great. I follow the olm. Just changed plugs not too long ago. Look good. Always use ac Delco filters. I've been using whatever the cheapest dexos is that I could find.

So should I take the plunge and use some maxlife or similar oil?

Thanks

75,000 miles. It's still a baby. HM oils are for HM vehicles. In my opinion that might be 200,000 - 250,000 miles.

One of my friends always said it would be a good idea to have one bad habit that you could give up if you were ever really sick. Like a balloon throwing off a big weight, you'd immediately start to rise again. So I'd wait until my HM vehicle needed a HM oil.

You can if you'd like, but if it's not leaking, or consuming a bit more oil, it's probably not fully a candidate yet. If it were me, I'd wait to at least 150K miles. I did switch to M1 10W-40 HM in my 2009 F150 with the 5.4L at 170K, but that's because Walmart had the oil for $1. I always use more viscous oil because the 5.4L needs it.

Last edited:
I'm getting to the mark on my odometer that matches the mileage on the HM bottles of oil 😆. It's for the chevy trax. Car runs great. I follow the olm. Just changed plugs not too long ago. Look good. Always use ac Delco filters. I've been using whatever the cheapest dexos is that I could find.

Thanks
It’s time to switch over in that little engine . Prevention is the best medicine

I never used it in my old high mileage Elantra (2.0L Beta) and it never leaked or consumed oil, but Firestone convinced my father to switch to HM in his old Kia Soul (with the same engine) when it hit 80k miles or so. They charge almost twice the price for HM oil changes. Now that I am doing oil changes on it, I keep using HM, or “All mileage” because I don’t want to risk creating any leaks.

I consider a modern engine with 75k to be just broken in. I've never felt the need for HM, and I'm wary of seal conditioners and extra "stuff" added to oil unless it's necessary. I've bought it before for my older vehicles, but only if it's a killer deal, like a $1/qt or less.

Unless there's some controlled scientific experiment that can attest to the benefits of HM oil use at 75K, I'll continue to stay clear of it.

Chevy trax. Does it have the v6? Im sure I read somewhere they can be rough on the timing chain.
I used to put 1 qt Hi Mi and 3 regular to address my own specific concerns and it worked. I switched to Full hi Mi around 180K.

Maybe this would be a good way to ease in to those formulas slowly 'as needed'.

Otherwise, I believe just using a syn blend or better on a low mileage drain interval would do better at protecting against friction and corrosision related wear...extending engine life.

I just changed oil in Impala at 160k from Pennzoil Platinum over to Valvoline Advanced High Mileage but just cause I couldn't get Pennzoil as no one had it in stock. Been using a quart per oil change at 5k so far nothing lost.
Sup... when I had a Toyota 2az-fe it drank pennzoil platinum. Almost 2 qts in 5k miles. But consumed little-no M1 or QSUD. Valvoline Maxlife and m1 hi Mi had similar results.

You can if you'd like, but if it's not leaking, or consuming a bit more oil, it's probably not fully a candidate yet.
So ideally, should one wait until their engine is leaking and consuming oil to switch to a HM oil? My reasoning for going to a HM oil was if I jump on it early maybe it won’t ever start leaking, rather than having to deal with trying get it to stop leaking. IDK but it seems to be working for my Chevy 5.3 as it’s dry as a bone.

In my Civic, I'm at 249k. M1 5w20 since new. No consumption or leaks. Been working fine for me, so no desire to switch. But I do see adding one qt. HM at every oil change incase there is something to the marketing. Car isn't that old...only 12 years, so will run it as long as it wants to run.

Thanks
Took my 09 Rav4 w/ the I4 engine to 250K miles and never used HM oil ... and it never leaked or consumed. Only sold it when it got T boned but was convinced I'd hit 400K with it.

Back