Is it time? Hitting that 75K mark.

Have used Valvoline Maxlife in numerous vehicles, never any negatives but several instances of the oil providing positive results. If I had a modern DI turbo engine I would use it from new. The ford and gm high stressed engines are leakers by 75-100K , they were designed to fail IMO. Ask a GM 3.6L owner who has had the $7K surprise.

I agree ^^^^^

Though that comment did make me laugh a bit though :LOL:
My dad has always been very easy on his trucks and changed oil every 3-5k. He's had 300k mile+ Dodges and GM's through the 90's - early 2000's. Nothing but a water pump here and there, maybe an alternator.

The longevity of a vehicle, even generally speaking, is greatly tied to the driving style of the demographic that buys the majority of the cars a mfg sells.

Chevy guy measures vehicle condition by making sure it can do a burnout. Honda guy just wants to get to his office without spilling his coffee.

I’ve never actually willingly/knowingly bought HM oil...I may have by accident, or because there was nothing left on the shelves, but never on purpose. And the highest mileage I’ve taken a car to was 289,000 miles...really wanted to hit 300,000 but things just didn’t line up right. My second highest mileage was 179,000. And current my daughter inherited our Honda CRV with 155,000 on it. Come to think of it my sons Jeep Liberty has close to 200,000 on it (but we bought it for him with 164,000 on it). Having said that, I would use it if necessary (leaking gasket that I couldn’t replace). Otherwise? I see no need.

Chevy trax. Does it have the v6? Im sure I read somewhere they can be rough on the timing chain.
I used to put 1 qt Hi Mi and 3 regular to address my own specific concerns and it worked. I switched to Full hi Mi around 180K.

Maybe this would be a good way to ease in to those formulas slowly 'as needed'.

Otherwise, I believe just using a syn blend or better on a low mileage drain interval would do better at protecting against friction and corrosision related wear...extending engine life.
1.4 turbo

IMO there is absolutely no reason not to use a HM oil. If it meets your car's spec, then it meets the spec. How could it cause harm?

Castrol Edge HM 0W-20, for example, states the following in the PDS:

Castrol EDGE High Mileage combines the friction fighting properties of Fluid TITANIUM in Castrol EDGE that transforms under pressure, with Phosphorus Replacement Technology that helps prevent catalytic converter failure.

Castrol EDGE High Mileage with Fluid TITANIUM Technology: unlock the true
performance of your high mileage engine.

Application
Castrol EDGE High Mileage 0W-20 is suitable for use in vehicles where the manufacturer recommends a 0W-20.

Exceeds manufacturer's warranty requirements for applications requiring API SP and ILSAC GF-6.

Product Performance Claims
API SP
ILSAC GF-6
Meets Chrysler MS 6395
Meets Ford WSS-M2C947-A/ WSS-M2C947-B1
GM dexos1™ Gen 2

There is nothing in the PDS that indicates it could be harmful.

You can start using HM at 0 miles if you wanted to and Valvoline and Mobil 1 even state this. With that, you will gain a little more robust additive pack and some seal conditioners so it's not a bad idea. On the other hand, what you have been using has worked also....you really can't go wrong with whatever you do at those miles.

My opinion is it certainly won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't pay more for it unless it needs it.

My old fleet vehicle was a 2018 Ford Fusion. It went from factory fill to Valvoline Maxlife at 5K and every 5K after. Not my choice, that's what the fleet company commissioned for it and the local MAVIS used. Engine died at 82K, but not because of the oil used.

My dad has always been very easy on his trucks and changed oil every 3-5k. He's had 300k mile+ Dodges and GM's through the 90's - early 2000's. Nothing but a water pump here and there, maybe an alternator.

The longevity of a vehicle, even generally speaking, is greatly tied to the driving style of the demographic that buys the majority of the cars a mfg sells.

Chevy guy measures vehicle condition by making sure it can do a burnout. Honda guy just wants to get to his office without spilling his coffee.

I wasn't agreeing with the negative comment about the Chevy vehicles...

I agreed with slo towns comment about saying you can't be serious in his response to that other negative comment about Chevy vehicles.

IMO there is absolutely no reason not to use a HM oil. If it meets your car's spec, then it meets the spec. How could it cause harm?

Castrol Edge HM 0W-20, for example, states the following in the PDS:
Castrol EDGE High Mileage combines the friction fighting properties of Fluid TITANIUM in Castrol EDGE that transforms under pressure, with Phosphorus Replacement Technology that helps prevent catalytic converter failure.
Castrol EDGE High Mileage with Fluid TITANIUM Technology: unlock the true performance of your high mileage engine.

Application
Castrol EDGE High Mileage 0W-20 is suitable for use in vehicles where the manufacturer recommends a 0W-20.
Exceeds manufacturer's warranty requirements for applications requiring API SP and ILSAC GF-6.

Product Performance Claims
API SP
ILSAC GF-6
Meets Chrysler MS 6395
Meets Ford WSS-M2C947-A/ WSS-M2C947-B1
GM dexos1™ Gen 2

There is nothing in the PDS that indicates it could be harmful.
I didn't see a reply saying that HM oil can be harmful. Of course you can use HM oil if it meets the required spec. The question asked was, "Should I switch to HM oil at 75K?" Most of the replies say that HM oil isn't needed simply due to the odometer reading.

So ideally, should one wait until their engine is leaking and consuming oil to switch to a HM oil? My reasoning for going to a HM oil was if I jump on it early maybe it won’t ever start leaking, rather than having to deal with trying get it to stop leaking. IDK but it seems to be working for my Chevy 5.3 as it’s dry as a bone.
Non-HM oils also have seal conditioners but not in the quantities that HM oils do. I think it's possible your 5.3 might be dry as a bone if you never switched to HM oil.

Non-HM oils also have seal conditioners but not in the quantities that HM oils do. I think it's possible your 5.3 might be dry as a bone if you never switched to HM oil.
In my case, my 5.3 developed a rear main seal leak at about 190,000 miles using 5w30 VWB. I had the rear main seal replaced and Only then did I switch to Valvoline HM 10w30. It might well have gone another 200,000 miles on the VWB after putting in the new rear main seal but I figured with the additional seal conditioners in the HM, it couldn’t hurt. (y)

Personally, I think high mileage that what constitutes high mileage is going to vary by engine. 75k miles on a 4 cylinder probably isn’t the same as 75k on a 6 cylinder. 75k on a 6 cylinder isn’t going to be the same as 75k on an 8 cylinder.

Personally, I think high mileage that what constitutes high mileage is going to vary by engine. 75k miles on a 4 cylinder probably isn’t the same as 75k on a 6 cylinder. 75k on a 6 cylinder isn’t going to be the same as 75k on an 8 cylinder.
What makes you say that? No matter how many piston rings their are, parts are still slowly wearing out and seals are still slowly hardening over time.

Back