Is it time? Hitting that 75K mark.

A 4 cylinder engine has less power than a 6 cylinder. Less power means that it has to work harder to gain/maintain set speeds, clime hills, etc. Working harder means more heat which is tougher on the engine.

I would add in the transmission and the final drive. They play a big part in this as well. A lot of old farm trucks had small four or six cylinder engines yet hauled a lot of weight.

Todays modern engines are redefining the power curve.

A 4 cylinder engine has less power than a 6 cylinder. Less power means that it has to work harder to gain/maintain set speeds, clime hills, etc. Working harder means more heat which is tougher on the engine.

Let’s say that you have the option to a used Chevrolet S-10. Both with 100k miles. Both with the same maintenance schedule and lubricants. Which, as a general rule, do you think has a better chance of making it to 200k without major attention?

For my money, I’m going to bet on the 6.
This is an incredibly outdated mentality. There are so many more factors than displacement or number of cylinders that is makes no sense to any assumptions off of that alone. We're living in an era of 300 horsepower *three* cylinder engines in consumer cars now, for what it's worth.

It is better. This is a forum that is obsessed with additive packs, and HM oils typically offer more dispersants (in the name of helping to fight against existing sludge build-up) and yet people here aren't interested? If you check Walmart's site right now, regular Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 High Mileage are both the exact same price at $24.47 per jug. Why would anybody  not want the high mileage version?
About Mobil 1, the regular M1 is dexos approved while M1HM is NOT dexos approved, at least for the 5w30 viscosities. A "better" oil could potentially void a warranty? Hmmm. Yes I know it's just because M1 did not pay for testing of the HM oil, it most likely would pass. My point is that dexos approved oils are REQUIRED in most GM models to maintain the warranty. You asked, "Why would anybody not want the high mileage version?" I think keeping the warranty intact is an excellent reason.
Personally, I don't want the HM version because my engine does not have existing sludge build-up, among other reasons. HM oil is a solution looking for a problem.
Also, does anyone have wear numbers for regular M1 vs M1HM? Just curious.

I've mentioned this before and I was with VIOC when MaxLife was introduced. I was told that 75K was no magic number but that there was a dispute in marketing over whether 50K or 100K was considered the 'high mileage' marker and 75K was the happy medium. Even by then cars were doing just fine at 50K and even 100K with regular oil changes, no leaks or significant burning even at well over 100K on SH-SJ era 5W-30's. But it is a fine product but I'd only use is on a car developing minor weeps and burning a bit....

Is there any truth to the old wives tale that once you switch to a HM oil you shouldn't go back to regular oil because the seals that have been 'conditioned' will 'uncondition' (shrink and re-harden I assume.)
I ask this as someone who has never used HM oil but have some in my stash from sales, closeouts etc....

Is there any truth to the old wives tale that once you switch to a HM oil you shouldn't go back to regular oil because the seals that have been 'conditioned' will 'uncondition' (shrink and re-harden I assume.)
I ask this as someone who has never used HM oil but have some in my stash from sales, closeouts etc....

The reality is that all oils have seal conditioners. HM oils have more.

The reality is that all oils have seal conditioners. HM oils have more.
I get that but I'm slightly concerned that if I used HM oil and went back to regular oil the seals could shrink back/re-harden and cause leaks. I'll probably use my HM oils 1 quart at a time (in an OCI using the same brand regular oil) to avoid this issue or at least to avoid being concerned about the possibility of having this issue.

I get that but I'm slightly concerned that if I used HM oil and went back to regular oil the seals could shrink back/re-harden and cause leaks...
As PimTac said, "The reality is that all oils have seal conditioners..." Seals will not 'shrink-back.' Seal lip and bore wear wear over time will be your only concern.

Like somebody mentioned before. Wouldn't HM oils have warnings on the bottle if they were going to have a ill effect on seals that were still in good condition ?

Short Answer: NO.

There was a thread on this not long ago.

I emailed Castrol ,about whether or not HM oils were safe for new engines.

A49KpSs.png

If it gives you the warm fuzzies to use it, use it. It's not as if high mileage oil is appreciably more expensive than other oil.

Amazing the BIToG oil experts do not seem to understand the oil ratings, if the oil is for example rated as an SN oil it must be a SN oil .

My anecdotal experience is there's no issue. Ran M1HM in my well over 300k mi 1uz for years & well over 100k mi 😂. Then in January ran some Penny Platinum that I picked up cheap from the deals forum here. Car ran the same to me, passed CA smog, & I only added 1qt during the OCI (same amount with the HM). Ran another OCI w/ M1HM, everything the same. Currently running M1 5w40 Euro because Wally-Mart was out of M1 5w30HM & I didn't want to go to another store. Car running the same.

Reactions: pbm
Back