Is it safe to push my car at night?

Gotta go ghetto-style and pull it via rope with an old rusted pick up truck filled with scrap metal.
You just reminded me of when a younger me used his 1989 Audi 80 to pull my buddy's 1991 Audi 80 Avant.

Just a ratchet strap and two kids limping across Rothenburg in the pouring rain to the Bosch service center to have an injection pump timed.

I rather redline on oil at 170 degrees then oil thats already at operating temp or above.

My friend starts his car right up in the winter and full redlines it. It still works fine years later.

I had a friend of mine do the same thing in high school. He had a 66 or 67 Pontiac LeMans with a 326 cubic inch two barrels. It would be freezing cold and we would get out of school and hit the highway. It had a two speed power glide slush box. He would run it up to redline to quickly warm the engine and turn on the heater. It didn't seem to hurt the car at all but I would never do it with anything I owned.

In most scan tool procedures that call for "operating temp" they consider 150F oil temps or above to be operating temp. The warmup lights go away on my veloster N when the oil reaches 150 degrees. They warn not to use high engine speeds till those lights go away, so I would assume that means oil temps over 150 are safe for any type of use.

I worked a job once that went from 7 PM to whenever. Some nights we got done at 2 AM,some morning closer to sun up. Dead of winter, often below zero. I was gentle on start up and drove slowly out to 495 S to get to the Pike. Then hammer the Borman 6 down the pike to to 128. One morning I did the 68 mile run in 57minutes. This was back when the State Police used panthers, and I had trained myself to spot them in the rear view and stay in the right lane when they blew by doing 90

Back