Is it safe to push my car at night?

Howdy all,

I hope this isn't a repost of another thread but I couldn't find an answer in doing some googling.

I recently installed a oil temperature gauge into my 2013 vw gti (sender is in the drain plug, prosport brand gauge and sender, running freshly changed mobil 1 0w-40). After a few days of testing I've come to the conclusion that the gauge seems pretty accurate, read between 190~200F fluctuating depending on what's going on and the cars oil operating temp is supposed to be ~194F (this is in mid 80s to low 90s weather). As stupid as it may be I did not realize the gauge was accurate the first night I drove it and thought it read around 15 to 20 degrees low. It seems the car could not get the oil above 170F on average, over a hour long drive through residential, city stoplights, and a small bit of highway (ambient air temp was ~54F). Because of this I pushed the car a few times after the temp had seemed settled (to my knowledge at operating temp) for a good 10 minutes, this consisted of rolling into boost, doing some pulls through a few gears, definitely hitting 7k rpm once or twice, that sort of ordeal.

What I'd like to ask to all of you with more experience than I is do you think I would've incurred any horrible outcomes from doing that sort of driving at 170F? And in future should I just avoid any spirited driving if the air temps are keeping the oil from getting to temp? (Is it possible the flow of cold air over the exposed bottom part of the sender and cooling the whole unit? Seems unlikely as the sensor part makes direct contact with the hot oil).

Thank you so much!

I wouldn't worry at all. I think having it on the drian plug might not give the most accurate temperature measurement anyway, if anything lower than "actual" so you should be fine. Its not like you went from just starting the engine and then going WOT on a cold engine.

What I'd like to ask to all of you with more experience than I is do you think I would've incurred any horrible outcomes from doing that sort of driving at 170F?
What viscosity oil are you using? Shouldn't hurt anything at 170F.

I wouldn't worry at all. I think having it on the drian plug might not give the most accurate temperature measurement anyway, if anything lower than "actual" so you should be fine. Its not like you went from just starting the engine and then going WOT on a cold engine.
Cool! :) yeah I was wondering how accurate it would be in that location, but I couldn't find any other real good solutions for my specific car.

You'll be just fine. Think about how many cars are floored in cold weather climates that probably won't even reach that oil temperature in 30 min, and they don't have any issues. I know in IA when we get cold snaps where our high temp is still below 0F for a week or more I'm sure my oil probably doesn't get above 170F hardly ever. Heck, my 15-20min drive barely gets the car to operating temp with a 10 min warm up time. lol

If you think this is accurate you could likely go to a lower viscosity oil.

Did you check the TC calibration with an ice bath? If enterprising you could do boiling water on a hot plate too.

170 is plenty warm for full activation of EP and AW in the oil given the operating coolant temp and localised hot spots.
My 1.4 tsi would run at that temp all with some semi-spirited driving.

No need to wail to 7 grand on a turbo car though. I would back off that rev limit a bit

How do you know that the operating temperature of the oil should be 194? That would be coolant temperature. Oil should be above 212 so that moisture is burned and efficiency is increased. Even my Sienna is running oil temperature around 220-225f.
So I would say your sensor is showing lower than actually is.
As for 170f, it is ok.

Back