Is it even worth flying anymore, for the short term at least?

My recent return trip from Amsterdams Schipol had security lines between 5 and 6 hours long and since you cant check a bag until 4 hours prior to departure 50% of my company missed its flights.

I saw two elderly poeple collapse in line - think about it - you have to stand and move luggage for 6 hours straight with no break to sit, or ability to drink or go to the bathroom. If you bring and drink your own water you'll likely need to use the bathroom and this circle continues.

I've never seen a less professionally run airport.

My recent return trip from Amsterdams Schipol had security lines between 5 and 6 hours long and since you cant check a bag until 4 hours prior to departure 50% of my company missed its flights.

I saw two elderly poeple collapse in line - think about it - you have to stand and move luggage for 6 hours straight with no break to sit, or ability to drink or go to the bathroom. If you bring and drink your own water you'll likely need to use the bathroom and this circle continues.

I've never seen a less professionally run airport.

SeaTac might give it a run for the money.

My family really wants me to travel from OH to OK in December about 10-11 days before 12/25 and I'd have to get a ride to DTW (80 miles) to do it. I don't want to go but they are paying for everything and won't take kindly to a refusal. They speak with the confidence of folks who have never had a serious problem with the airlines.

If I accept, they will take whatever route they can get and I hate to go thru either ORD or Denver or DFW....or heaven forbid two plane changes. I could do AA thru CLT but I don't like the odds. I'm hopeful that silence and benign neglect will result in a lack of useful options and cancel their plans for me to be there. It will be a huge anxiety for me if I have to go.

SeaTac might give it a run for the money.

PT,

I saw a man collapse at SeaTac this morning. Airlines seem to be the only industry that gets MACRO exemptions for disabled people, and other related concerns.

PT,

I saw a man collapse at SeaTac this morning. Airlines seem to be the only industry that gets MACRO exemptions for disabled people, and other related concerns.

I hope he is okay?

Those garages get pretty cold in the winter. Hopefully this gets settled soon.

Some years ago we flew in from Asia in May and it was 29°F. I had a flannel shirt in my carry bag but that was not quite enough. We were waiting in the garage for the Shuttle Express van. That took a hour.

Reactions: GON
PT,

If a man collapsed in the line at SeaTac - that is not the airlines’ fault. They comply with ADA. They provide wheelchairs, etc. The airlines are tenants of the airport. They lease gates. They lease facilities.

Blaming airlines for how the airports are run is like someone in your car blaming you for the condition of I90 or I405, and telling you that you need to fix it. Just because you use a public accommodation, doesn’t make you responsible for its condition.

SeaTac runs the security program, using TSA personnel. The City of Seattle has failed, if people can’t get through security in a reasonable time, or are harmed by the process, not Delta. Not Alaska.

Rest assured, airlines aren’t happy with how many airports are run.

Do you think KLM is happy with Schiphol right now? Delta with Seattle?

Every single airline in the world with Heathrow?

If a man collapsed in the line at SeaTac - that is not the airlines’ fault. They comply with ADA. They provide wheelchairs, etc. The airlines are tenants of the airport. They lease gates. They lease facilities.

Blaming airlines for how the airports are run is like someone in your car blaming you for the condition of I90 or I405, and telling you that you need to fix it. Just because you use a public accommodation, doesn’t make you responsible for its condition.

SeaTac runs the security program, using TSA personnel. The City of Seattle has failed, if people can’t get through security in a reasonable time, or are harmed by the process, not Delta. Not Alaska.

Rest assured, airlines aren’t happy with how many airports are run.

Do you think KLM is happy with Schiphol right now? Delta with Seattle?

Every single airline in the world with Heathrow?

Very important distinction.

My United experience was great - my airport experience horrendous.

I have added 50% to my old rule of thumbs for connecting in certain airports …
Keeps me out of the stress from labor and supply shortages …
One carry on too …

My guess is that there is a drop in communication at SEA. Is the airport providing any security or assistance in the garage? I suspect not.

The garage is separated from the terminal via skybridges. This is actually a Port of Seattle operation so they should know the conditions and adapt to them.

I have added 50% to my old rule of thumbs for connecting in certain airports …
Keeps me out of the stress from labor and supply shortages …

I do the same. We usually arrive at SEA four hours prior to boarding. That gave us the cushion you mentioned. Now it seems that might not be enough.

Will still have travel agents and websites trying to push tight connections like they are from another world …

That’s another problem and I know that in certain airports a two or even three hour layover is really cutting it fine. Throw in a delay and you’re cooked.

I don’t mind the waits. That’s what coffee is for.

Other than the so called strip searches of which I have not experienced in any of my air travels, you can expect to run into all that other stuff while on the road. Stop for a meal break and encounter the obnoxious person in the cafe. Use a public restroom where people are shooting up.

One cannot avoid them.
I recently did 17 days on the road and encountered none of what you say is unavoidable. In addition, over the years I have made many long-distance road trips, and never once encountered such things.

I don't doubt that such things as you describe do happen, but in thousands upon thousands of miles of road trips by motorcycle, car, and truck, over many years, I've had nothing but positive experiences.

The likelyhood is your flight will go fine. That being said ensure you have some flex in at either end if they do.

Buy your tickets directly from airline not third party. Makes life so much easier if you want, need, forced into something different.

My personal plane (a Cessna 177RG) was delayed due to terrible FL weather last week, spent much of the night at the airport and finally got off the ground at 4:15AM.

On a more serious note, the airlines are struggling a bit. Fairly high percentage of delays lately. Higher than I ever recall.

Wow, lotsa problems...
Wifey and I flew from San Jose Int. to San Diego last Saturday. 8:00 AM Southwest flight; got there about 7, tons of travelors, sniffing dogs at security, do not have to take your shoes off, scan you machine and off you go. Easy peasey.
San Diego, 4:20 PM boarding, lotsa travelors, we were running late, got through security easy and came home.

Nuthin to it.

I have nearly 1M miles with SouthWest and United over 20+ years.

HATE>>> HATE>>>> traveling by air. Friggin hate it.

Hate it so much, I purchased a little Class C and that's how we travel.

Last month the wife had to fly to see her mom, who is in the last months of her life.... so to make it tolerable on her, I bought her 1st Class Tickets and she said it was decent.

FLYING COACH BITES! You are treated like cattle.

When I have to fly I always get an early bird flight so I’m passing through TSA at 6 AM not 10 AM when lines are jam packed. First class does make the flight better.

Last flight I was on there was a flight attendant that looked over 60 years old In first class kept asking me if I wanted a drink, she asked me like 4 times and I finally had to say I’ll have a bottle of water. Plane was still at the gate and on time.

Last edited:
Back