Is GM’s Dexos 2 requirement for the LT4 on the C7 Z06 and CTS-V strictly emissions based?

725E5B15-AE9F-4F75-BDEE-FC537CD1D76E.jpeg

Well, my buddy just sent me this from his analysis he ran on his 870hp Z06 using the driven DI40 0w40 oil. It’s a fresh built motor on its second oil change so that explains some of the comments in the comment section. I guess I should have given a little more detail than I did. Lol Stuff is pricey but appears to be pretty good stuff.

View attachment 138578

Well, my buddy just sent me this from his analysis he ran on his 870hp Z06 using the driven DI40 0w40 oil. It’s a fresh built motor on its second oil change so that explains some of the comments in the comment section. I guess I should have given a little more detail than I did. Lol Stuff is pricey but appears to be pretty good stuff.
It looks kinda lame to me. What's the attraction? 42 ppm iron after 3,200 miles!!

It looks kinda lame to me. What's the attraction? 42 ppm iron after 3,200 miles!!
Man, this is exactly why I’m here. Lol I just don’t know enough about what I should be looking for I guess. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It seemed good from a quick look but I’d have to see the reports on the other options to know where it stands. I know he was running Mobil 1 prior. Lots of variables though being a new motor, length of interval, etc.

View attachment 138578

Here's the HPL 0W-40 in comparison, note the higher levels of phosphorous (AW additive) and moly:
Screen Shot 2023-01-02 at 10.05.07 PM.jpg

You might want to give Dave a PM he may have a recommendation for you but for sure will have an oil that is second to none.
I’ll def do that. What’s his screen name?

Excuse my ignorance. Still new and figuring things out around here.

I’ll def do that. What’s his screen name?

Excuse my ignorance. Still new and figuring things out around here.

High Performance Lubricants, he started the thread I linked, just PM him, and ask away!

Here's the HPL 0W-40 in comparison, note the higher levels of phosphorous (AW additive) and moly:
View attachment 138589
I spoke with Dave. Super nice guy! He gave me some good info. He said he considers the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP/supercar to be a great oil. He said his oil is marginally better but at such short OCI as I’m running (1500-2000), I’d be just fine sticking with the Mobil 1. He told me his oil compared to many other shelf options has a much larger margin of superiority. He did tell me I’d benefit from running his diesel oil in my truck in comparison to the current T6 I’ve been using though.

I hope this is ok to share. I just figured I’d update the thread for anyone else questioning the quality of the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP/Supercar in the LT4.

I spoke with Dave. Super nice guy! He gave me some good info. He said he considers the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP/supercar to be a great oil. He said his oil is marginally better but at such short OCI as I’m running (1500-2000), I’d be just fine sticking with the Mobil 1. He told me his oil compared to many other shelf options has a much larger margin of superiority. He did tell me I’d benefit from running his diesel oil in my truck in comparison to the current T6 I’ve been using though.

I hope this is ok to share. I just figured I’d update the thread for anyone else questioning the quality of the Mobil 1 0w40 ESP/Supercar in the LT4.
Mobil 1 0w40 Supercar vs Delvac 0w40 CK-4/SN vs 5w50 Mobil 1 Supercar DexosR vs 0w40 HPL???

Mobil 1 0w40 Supercar vs Delvac 0w40 CK-4/SN vs 5w50 Mobil 1 Supercar DexosR vs 0w40 HPL???
I just asked about the 0w40 Mobil 1 ESP/supercar I’m currently running vs his options he offers. I didn’t ask specifically about the others you mentioned but he didn’t mention them either. He just told me the 0w40 supercar is really good stuff and there would be a marginal benefit to switching to his HPL 0w40 but I’d also be just fine sticking with what I’m using as I change it frequently.

Do you have any other comparison info for the others? Maybe I should message him and ask about those options as well? Or… maybe he will chime in here to address that. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He actually owns a C7 Z06 he said so I’m sure he’s probably done his fair share of looking into what the best option would be for the LT4 since his car has the same engine as my V. I actually just sold my C7Z last month but I ran the supercar in that one while I had it as well.

Attachments

• 4EC92EC7-57BB-4265-ACE5-07E9BA6058BF.jpeg
    4EC92EC7-57BB-4265-ACE5-07E9BA6058BF.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I just asked about the 0w40 Mobil 1 ESP/supercar I’m currently running. I didn’t ask specifically about the others but he didn’t mention them either. Just told me the 0w40 supercar is good stuff and there would be a marginal benefit to switching to his HPL 0w40 but I’d also be just fine sticking with what I’m using as I change it frequently.

Do you have any other comparison info for the others? Maybe I should message him and ask about those options as well? Or… maybe he will chime in here to address that. 🤷🏻‍♂️ He’s got a C7Z he said so I’m sure he’s probably done his fair share of looking into what the best option would be for the LT4 since his car has the same engine as my V.
I'm just Delvac bias because I've used it and it's the thickest of the 0w40s mentioned. "More headroom" as Z06 would say.
When you posted the Joe Gibbs Driven uoa, the needle on my b.s.-o-meter went into the red. It looks like something from a 7-11 store, not a race
oil with high Zn.

I'm just Delvac bias because I've used it and it's the thickest of the 0w40s mentioned. "More headroom" as Z06 would say.
When you posted the Gibbs Driven uoa, the needle on my b.s.-o-meter went into the red. It looks like something from a 7-11 store, not a race
oil with high Zn.
That’s a valid reason to be bias. Better protection with the same essential weight if that’s true. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol! Yeah, you prob understand the details of the report much better than I do. I just know that stuff has been getting some praise and a couple of performance shops have moved to suggesting it as their recommended fill. As far as the scientific side of it, I’m in the dark. I know I’ve always heard that Joe Gibbs oil is supposed to be good quality stuff and the driven is from the same Joe Gibbs line. I assumed with what’s been posted about it, it must be good stuff but perhaps they’re just good at marketing it.

That’s a valid reason to be bias. Better protection with the same essential weight if that’s true. Nothing wrong with that.

Lol! Yeah, you prob understand the details of the report much better than I do. I just know that stuff has been getting some praise and a couple of performance shops have moved to suggesting it as their recommended fill. As far as the scientific side of it, I’m in the dark. I know I’ve always heard that Joe Gibbs oil is supposed to be good quality stuff and the driven is from the same Joe Gibbs line. I assumed with what’s been posted about it, it must be good stuff but perhaps they’re just good at marketing it.
Yeah, performance shops, and don't believe anything you hear in the pits when it comes to lubricants either.

I asked about the oils you mentioned out of my own curiosity and this was his response….

“The FS 0w40 is what I looked at in our lab. It is good. I have not looked at the others. The 502.00 additive chemistry is desirable as it is not low saps.

It is also a cross or comparison to ours as we use 502.00 based chemistry there. I do think it is fair to say the Mobil synthetics are pretty good overall.

I didn’t invest the time to look at them all. We spend the time in our lab striking the right balance in our formulas to be as good as we can be.

Thank you.

David”

I asked about the oils you mentioned out of my own curiosity and this was his response….

“The FS 0w40 is what I looked at in our lab. It is good. I have not looked at the others. The 502.00 additive chemistry is desirable as it is not low saps.

It is also a cross or comparison to ours as we use 502.00 based chemistry there. I do think it is fair to say the Mobil synthetics are pretty good overall.

I didn’t invest the time to look at them all. We spend the time in our lab striking the right balance in our formulas to be as good as we can be.

Thank you.

David”
OK, the FS 0W-40 is not the ESP/Supercar 0W-40, it's the Euro 0W-40, which is the same additive approach as the HPL Super Car 0W-40; it has a full-SAPS additive package.

How are the oil temps and PSI?

Mobil1 Euro 0w40 has been an excellent oil for many years. Didn't care or need ESP/Supercar, or whatever the current marketing terminology is, or any other emissions saving oil. Give me an engine saving oil. I can change out a catalytic or o2 sensor a lot quicker and cheaper than pulling an engine for a complete rebuild. That Rotella T6 5w40 is a good option too.

Mobil1, as do other like Castrol/Valvoline/Pennzoil, Amsoil, Redline, HPL, Torco, MPT,.... all have plenty of products to choose from in the 40 and 50 grades.

Weather permitting, I don't see the need for 0w-anything, and 5w40 10w40 are also options, as is the previously mentioned 5w50 and 15w50. If it were mine, I'd start with M1 FS 15w50, and gather UOA data to see how it does.

Back