Is fuel system corrosion a real concern with modern vehicles?

I see a lot of fuel additive products that either claim they protect against fuel system corrosion and/or claim to protect against the use of ethanol fuels (which I think is effectively the same claim). I have also seen claims that with "modern vehicles", such fuel additives are not necessary at all because modern vehicle fuel systems have been designed to not be susceptible to ethanol based fuels and the corrosion that these fuels can create.

Which is true?

I live in California and on the California Energy Commission website I have read..."Gasoline sold in California at retail is made up of 90 percent petroleum based gasoline (as specified by the California Air Resources Board) and 10 percent ethanol. Ethanol became the primary blending oxygenate in gasoline in 2003, as Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether (MTBE) was fully phased out of by that year."... - Source: https://bit.ly/3dytc0Y

Thank you,

Ed

I think ethanol was mandated at some overall use in 2007, and the auto's starting making things compliant long before that. My oldest car is 2008 so I don't worry about it.

The issue with ethanol however is that it settles out if your vehicle is not used often, and ethanol gas lasts 90 days from manufacture, meaning you probably shouldn't count on more than 60 days from the pump. I try to run my tanks all the way to the bottom at least monthly before I fill.

I think both are true. I think the additives are needed for older machines, particularly if they sit for weeks or months with ethanol fuel in them. The boating world is big on ethanol problem prevention with additives such as Sta-Bil and Startron.

It's usually a sticking part in the gas tank that will make a fuel guage stick or work intermitantly. Fuel additives definitely help with sticking gas guages. Techron is a good product for an additive especially if vehicles are parked for a few months in the winter.

Back