Is Delo 15w40 THAT much better than Rotella 15w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read lots about Delo 15w40 and Rotella 5w40.

Not much on Rotella 15w40. I looked in the VOA section and both 15w40's looked very similar except that the Delo now has Moly.

Maybe i'm missing something?

Around here trucking co's are split about 50/50 between the Delo and the Rotella. Most likely due to the price that they get from their supplier?

Hopefully soon I will own a class 8 truck and have narrowed my oil choice to one of these 2 brands. Around here the Rotella is easier to find. Delo is a close 2nd. Delvac and Valvoline Premium blue are almost impossible to find.

Thoughts?

A lot of guys like Rotella, but other then brand loyalty I don't see a reason. Try the diesel section.

-T

Please post in the diesel forum and name your specific engine.
grin.gif

If you haven't bought the truck yet, maybe some good advice there too when considering.

Delo, Delvac, Rotella in general is a wash.

Rotella 15-40 from consensus I have gathered is a good, well refined G1 with a decent additive package. Delo is a hydro cracked /hydro-synthesized primarily G11-G11+ product, now with a superior additive package. Before I knew this I could percieve a difference in hardiness in a DD-Chevy 6.5L with a 2 gal sump, the Delo always lasted longer before mpg started dropping , so it wsa the oil of choice for that engine from then on and is the baseline oil for the current Int 7.3 L with almost 4gal sump. Once the sump capacity goes up it doesn't seem to make as much of a difference probably(ie start getting into dump truck to Class 8 volumes), but with equal price points it would seem to make sense to go with the chevron.

Just about all of the logging trucks in southern Idaho all use Delo 400. When I asked why, they all said that their mileage and engine life was higher with Delo. Not much tougher on diesel engines than logging in the west. I see a case of Dello gallons at Costco for $37.44, not a bad deal.

Yep, Costco is a good place to get Delo. Most NAPA's carry Valvoline Premium Blue.

I like Mobil 1300 for a dino 15-40 as well.

Certainly shouldn't go wrong with Rotella. I think most Wal-Marts are now carrying Rotella in 5 gallon jugs.

Delo may be the best in my opinion but I would do a uoa after a couple of runs of each oil cause they are all so good. I an almost sure Rotella 15/40 is gpII to meet ci4 rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back