Is Dawn Ultra Platinum corrosive to aluminum?

I want to spray a cleaner on aluminum parts of the engine undercarriage and drivetrain that will not cause aluminum corrosion and pitting. I read all over the Internet how dawn dish soap is non-corrosive and PH neutral. This is the label from Dawn Ultra platinum I have in the house. Looks like different kinds of sodium, including sodium chloride listed on the label. Can somebody explain thanks.

Attachments

• FB9791B4-2F49-4D67-8287-B0FFAAFA9F03.jpeg
    FB9791B4-2F49-4D67-8287-B0FFAAFA9F03.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 84
The same road salt I’m trying to spray off?
That usually calcium or magnesium chloride. Still salt but different. Sodium chloride is harder on metals that calcium or magnesium chloride.

In dish soap, there isn't enough of it to cause any concern since you will be cleaning and washing it off. You need to look at the finished product instead of individual ingredients for this.

I've seen homemade remedies pushed to mix vinegar or baking soda with water and your normal car wash soap, not sure how accurate or effective. I'm pretty good about spraying off the undercarriage regularly so don't see any 'buildup' to judge about removing it. I mean, if there's salt on the car......and you rinse it off, it's gone. The damage comes from driving around for 3 years in heavily salted locals and never washing off the undercarriage. I know some people say it will just get dirty again so they just wash the car at the end of the season. Those will be the cars with holes in the rockers.

Of course there are targeted products if you want to add another bottle to your garage shelf. Never used the stuff but it's out there. Salt Away!!!

Simple Green Pro HD at Home Depot is the consumer version of their Aviation formula that claims to be soft metal, rubber, and plastic safe. This info is be buried on their FAQ web page and I confirmed it in an email to their tech. department. They basically said the Pro HD had a different dye vs. the aviation formula.

Here's the FAQ link: https://simplegreen.com/industrial/faqs/ ...........Click "aviation" and/or "aluminum".

Last edited:
I want to spray a cleaner on aluminum parts of the engine undercarriage and drivetrain that will not cause aluminum corrosion and pitting.
What are you wanting to clean off? Salt or oil leaks? If oil, doesn't it help prevent corrosion of underneath parts? If salt, won't just plain water dissolve it? Personally, I use a can of Gunk.

What are you wanting to clean off? Salt or oil leaks? If oil, doesn't it help prevent corrosion of underneath parts? If salt, won't just plain water dissolve it? Personally, I use a can of Gunk.
I did a transmission fluid drain and fill on a 2019 Cherokee and I noticed the aluminum housing for the transmission was very chalky. I wanted to clean it up a bit after the service to watch for leaks.

Something that many people do not know is that Dawn ultra (clear bottle with silver logo) is a very different soap than traditional blue Dawn (the larger plastic bottles which are not clear, frequently seen in commercial use) -- I believe Dawn ultra has sulfuric acid in it. Check on the MSDS. Not sure what I would use on a transmission housing. Perhaps some type of aluminum safe wheel cleaner.

This is not sulfuric acid. This is otherwise known as sodium lauryl sulfate:

View attachment 144456
Well, look, I am no chemical genius, but I know how to read words. The other dawn "professional" does not have the words "sulfuric acid" on it. I'll say it again for the cheap seats. Dawn ultra and regular dawn are different soaps. A lot of people do not know this. Please do not debate me for the sake of debating me. You literally just linked something that has the exact words "Sulfuric acid" and told me that it was not sulfuric acid. I cannot win on this forum I swear. I don't even know why I offer responses sometimes.

Well, look, I am no chemical genius, but I know how to read words. The other dawn "professional" does not have the words "sulfuric acid" on it. I'll say it again for the cheap seats. Dawn ultra and regular dawn are different soaps. A lot of people do not know this. Please do not debate me for the sake of debating me. You literally just linked something that has the exact words "Sulfuric acid" and told me that it was not sulfuric acid. I cannot win on this forum I swear. I don't even know why I offer responses sometimes.

Ok, I'll explain it to you:

Sulfuric acid is "sulfuric acid". And that's exactly how it'd be listed if this were in fact sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid. no other chemicals listed in that line.

"Sulfuric acid, mono-C10-16-alkyl esters, sodium salts" is the reaction product of "sulfuric acid" and other chemicals. It is NOT sulfuric acid, any more than table salt (aka sodium chloride) is sodium or chlorine (table salt is the reaction product of those two chemicals).

If you google the CAS number 68585-47-7 for "Sulfuric acid, mono-C10-16-alkyl esters, sodium salts" you find this:

1678555503170.png

Finally, you could engage your brain a bit. Do you really think that a product intended for handwashing use would contain unreacted sulfuric acid?

The wheel cleaner you suggest using instead almost guaranteed to contain harsher chemicals. It probably even has a warning to avoid contact with skin.

Ok, I'll explain it to you:

Sulfuric acid is "sulfuric acid". And that's exactly how it'd be listed if this were in fact sulfuric acid. Sulfuric acid. no other chemicals listed in that line.

"Sulfuric acid, mono-C10-16-alkyl esters, sodium salts" is the reaction product of "sulfuric acid" and other chemicals. It is NOT sulfuric acid, any more than table salt (aka sodium chloride) is sodium or chlorine (table salt is the reaction product of those two chemicals).

If you google the CAS number 68585-47-7 for "Sulfuric acid, mono-C10-16-alkyl esters, sodium salts" you find this:

View attachment 144461

Finally, you could engage your brain a bit. Do you really think that a product intended for handwashing use would contain unreacted sulfuric acid?

The wheel cleaner you suggest using instead almost guaranteed to contain harsher chemicals. It probably even has a warning to avoid contact with skin.
Well why doesn't the regular Dawn say the words "Sulfuric acid" on it then.

Well I don't know. The other soap does not have the same terminology and avoids the words "sulfuric acid". I'm not a chemical genius like you are. You are really smart. You win! I'm just saying that the two soaps are different. Why are you being such a jerk anyway? Maybe you should drink some wheel cleaner. You'll feel better.

Back