Is Dawn Ultra Platinum corrosive to aluminum?

Well I don't know. The other soap does not have the same terminology and avoids the words "sulfuric acid". I'm not a chemical genius like you are. You are really smart. You win! I'm just saying that the two soaps are different. Why are you being such a jerk anyway? Maybe you should drink some wheel cleaner. You'll feel better.

I'm not a chemical genius. I just know how to use that same exact Google search you presumably have access to, to figure things out. I also know from general knowledge and experience that sulfuric acid is bad for your skin.

Maybe you should drink some wheel cleaner.

Given that I know that wheel cleaner is a much more dangerous cleaner than dish detergent, why would I do that?

Last edited:
I did a transmission fluid drain and fill on a 2019 Cherokee and I noticed the aluminum housing for the transmission was very chalky. I wanted to clean it up a bit after the service to watch for leaks.
If you don’t like chalky aluminum, I’d wipe it down with shiela shine. Wear eye protection if laying down and working on your back. Figure the best way to apply, may be a chip brush, then a nylon stiff bristle brush, then a wipe down, then a recoat. It’s great stuff. I use it to prevent chalking on some of my old diesel car engine surfaces.

If you don’t like chalky aluminum, I’d wipe it down with shiela shine. Wear eye protection if laying down and working on your back. Figure the best way to apply, may be a chip brush, then a nylon stiff bristle brush, then a wipe down, then a recoat. It’s great stuff. I use it to prevent chalking on some of my old diesel car engine surfaces.
Which product?

shiela shine for stainless?

I want to spray a cleaner on aluminum parts of the engine undercarriage and drivetrain that will not cause aluminum corrosion and pitting. I read all over the Internet how dawn dish soap is non-corrosive and PH neutral. This is the label from Dawn Ultra platinum I have in the house. Looks like different kinds of sodium, including sodium chloride listed on the label. Can somebody explain thanks.
Bless !!!!

As kids, we drank from water hoses. When I was a teen working as an electrician's helper, we washed our hands with PCB. When I was a child slave laborer for my Dad, I had to tote hot ladles of melted lead under houses for him to pour cast iron sewer pipes. Not saying any of that is good, but I survived just fine.

Back