Is Brad Penn really "green"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering whether Brad Penn oil is really green or do they dye it? And if its dyed green, would that effect the oils performance....Mike

Originally Posted By: 331mike
I was wondering whether Brad Penn oil is really green or do they dye it? And if its dyed green, would that effect the oils performance....Mike

Yes,it's green,doesnt affect the oil at all.

Originally Posted By: 331mike

Only the Penn-Grade 1 oils are dyed green. Other oils made by Brad-Penn are "normal" oil colors.

thread tangent/highjack.

Back in the 1960s, I remember some oils having a slight green tint, but I don't think it was died. I think it was Pennzoil.

Why would an oil have a green tint.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

thread tangent/highjack.

Back in the 1960s, I remember some oils having a slight green tint, but I don't think it was died. I think it was Pennzoil.

Why would an oil have a green tint.

The high VI Pennsylvania Grade crude from certain areas in PA, WV, and OH has a natural green tint to it once it's refined. Way back when very few additives were mixed in finished motor oil, the "green" color of motor oils made from Pennsylvania Grade crude was one way the consumer determined "quality." Kendall capitalized on that in the 60s and started drying their top tier (GT-1) oil green because the robust additive packs by then had completely obscured the natural green of the base oil. The old Kendall refinery is now the Brad Penn refinery and Penn-Grade 1 is essentially the modern version of the old Kendal GT-1, still made in the same refinery from the same Penn Grade crude.

^^^It makes one wonder just how much crude is left in the ground in those three states for them to extract and make into Brad Penn oils?!
21.gif

Refining technology has come leaps and bounds since the time when refined oil had a "tint". A high-quality hydrofinished base oil now should be as clear as water. I could see where the green dye would be a good marketing move for nostalgic types.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^It makes one wonder just how much crude is left in the ground in those three states for them to extract and make into Brad Penn oils?!
21.gif

Not much when compared to the global crude market, but still quite a bit. The Brad-Penn refinery only processes crude from PA, WV, OH, and NY. I think it's the only refinery left in the U.S. that processes nothing but domestically produced crude.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
21.gif

Quite a bit. There are still family owned wells that have been producing crude for over a century. The key is that the owners of those wells only take enough to sustain themselves and immediate family and do not attempt to drain the well dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back