Is An Engine Cover (VW Tsi) Beneficial?

I removed the plastic engine cover on my new Jaguar F Type. Yes, it looked nice but I was concerned about heat retention here in SouCal where it can get pretty hot if you are gridlocked on the freeway in the middle of August.

I am keeping a close eye on the top of the engine though to see if it is collecting dirt or debris or water pooling up from washing it or rain coming through the hood vents that may otherwise be diverted by the cover.

Anyhow, do those plastic engine covers have any benefits?

On passenger cars engine covers serve these purposes:

- appearence/looks
- crash safety (pedestrian) as there are hard parts on top of the engine
- reducing noise > valve train, DI injectors; even more so on Diesel engines
- prevent water from entering ignition coil/spark plug zone
- something I perhaps miss (retaining heat is not one of them)

So is it actually necessary? No, surely not. Does it provide benefits? Yes it does.

Pics are just representative from the internet.

Not actually representative since the first probably shows a 1.4T and the second one a 2.0T.

Does a 2021 Jetta come with one?

Most probably not, as VW started to pass using covers on their smaller (EA211)
engines in 2015 or so. However there is a cover existing and it's easily retrofitable
along with the necessary studs that likely are missing on yours. I'd suggest looking
at ECS and DAP first. Is it worth the cost of retrofitting? That's up to you and likely
depending on the actual cost.
IF the studs are there though your Jetta very most certainly DID come with a cover.

Ford stopped including them on Focuses after 2012 or 2013. My 2012 Titanium came with one. I had to buy a cover for my 2014 Titanium, but the studs were in place.

The engine covers are permanently off both the Charger and Durango. Mice will build nests under them if they are on, but if the covers are off, then the mice build elsewhere.

I notice zero functional difference between on and off.

Just performed an OC on my 2021 Jetta Tsi 1.4 and noticed the plastic engine cover is missing? I don't remember taking it off in the past. Did not see it in my shop?

I did have the vehicle at the dealer a few months back for a ecm flash and can't imagine them needing to remove it?

Anyhow, do those plastic engine covers have any benefits? Should I try to get a replacement one of just roll with it like it is?
My 2019 Jetta 6M did not have a cover. It it did, I would remove it for the warm months.
These covers are a mouse house roof also. I just found a mouse house on my ford cam box cover cover.
Cover is jettisoned !

Most Pump and HLA noise went away with a different oil in mine. Ran Motul 508/509 with a 1/2 qt of 0W40 FS M1.
Those two oils love one another. The M1 Porsche juice is used as an "additive and booster"
The 0W20 VAG oil by itself is too thin for that engine, IMHRO.

On passenger cars engine covers serve these purposes:

- appearence/looks
- crash safety (pedestrian) as there are hard parts on top of the engine
- reducing noise > valve train, DI injectors; even more so on Diesel engines
- prevent water from entering ignition coil/spark plug zone
- something I perhaps miss (retaining heat is not one of them)

So is it actually necessary? No, surely not. Does it provide benefits? Yes it does.

Not actually representative since the first probably shows a 1.4T and the second one a 2.0T.

Most probably not, as VW started to pass using covers on their smaller (EA211)
engines in 2015 or so. However there is a cover existing and it's easily retrofitable
along with the necessary studs that likely are missing on yours. I'd suggest looking
at ECS and DAP first. Is it worth the cost of retrofitting? That's up to you and likely
depending on the actual cost.
IF the studs are there though your Jetta very most certainly DID come with a cover.
Pretty sure I saw what looked to be a mounting point. Maybe it was not. When I get home I'll snap a photo and upload. Pics were just showing a VW with and w/o a cover. Not necessary the engine in question. Anyhow even the dealer parts guy was pretty sure the 1.4's were naked.

I think in the case of my Canyon, it's intended to keep you from messing around with stuff on the engine. It's a pain to remove.
When I had a Duramax 2.8 Colorado I removed it. There was a lot of starfoam to get out that was under the cover. I wanted to be able to see the injectors and any leaks it present. That engine looked neat with all the injection lines exposed and there a slight increase in the diesel chatter in the cab. I no longer have the truck, but still have the cover.

Most Pump and HLA noise went away with a different oil in mine. Ran Motul 508/509 with a 1/2 qt of 0W40 FS M1.
Those two oils love one another. The M1 Porsche juice is used as an "additive and booster"
The 0W20 VAG oil by itself is too thin for that engine, IMHRO.
On the OC I just did I used 3 ltrs of Castrol 0w20 LL IV FE (508) and 1 liter of 5w-30 Castrol LL 507. It the summer months I use a 50/50 ratio.

On the OC I just did I used 3 ltrs of Castrol 0w20 LL IV FE (508) and 1 liter of 5w-30 Castrol LL 507. It the summer months I use a 50/50 ratio.
How did it like that? Mine revved much higher with power with some added thickness.
I had a stick though. Revved up killer fast in first and second. 5W40 is a no-no in that engine.
I bet it would love ALL IN 5W30 in that machine - at least with a stick it would.

Dress-up parts have existed almost as long as engines have. Can't think of many "pretty" OEM engine bays. At least not on your typical car. Hoses, wiring, and crap has always been run everywhere.
this is pretty
6aff85e662778509179b39fc29b88382.jpg

When I had a Duramax 2.8 Colorado I removed it. There was a lot of starfoam to get out that was under the cover. I wanted to be able to see the injectors and any leaks it present. That engine looked neat with all the injection lines exposed and there a slight increase in the diesel chatter in the cab. I no longer have the truck, but still have the cover.
I haven't removed mine, because you have to take the intake tube off the throttle body to get it off...it's all one unit. So unless you perform surgery to "unintegrate" it, you can't go without the cover. GM :mad:

Benefits

1. Less engine noise
2. Better engine appearance (subjective)
Cons
1. Will retain engine heat a little better.
2. Slight increase in weight.

So I personally would not lose a minutes sleep.
Except I hate it when a service does not replace MY covers and shields. So I will complain if I know that they did it. I made ford fetch the belly pan parts out of the trash after a complementary oil change. They were not amused which is fair, as I was not amused either.

Rod
Retention of heat is a plus. In regular exploitation retention of heat is desirable as it lowers fuel consumption, allows easier cold starts etc. My VW Tiguan retain heat for a long time which is definitely a plus in very cold weather. On othe hand my Sienna loses heat super fast and it takes a loooong time to warm up. Guess which one is more comfortable to drive in 0 degrees weather?

How did it like that? Mine revved much higher with power with some added thickness.
I had a stick though. Revved up killer fast in first and second. 5W40 is a no-no in that engine.
I bet it would love ALL IN 5W30 in that machine - at least with a stick it would.
Best I can tell it sounded a tad quieter. A little less valve train noise. That was the last of my Castrol stash. Going forward I have lots of M1 ESP 5W-30 and ESP 0w-30, both 507.00 I also have VW brand 0w-20 508 which is a M1 product. I think the 0w-30 ESP and the 0w20 VW 50/50 mix would be good for both winter and summer.

I removed the plastic engine cover on my new Jaguar F Type. Yes, it looked nice but I was concerned about heat retention here in SouCal where it can get pretty hot
What's all the comments about heat retention? Car makers test their vehicles in all environmental conditions including Death Valley at over 120F. If your car is running too hot, it's not because of the engine cover.

Back