Is a hybrid right for my commute?

All else being equal, if you can get an Atkinson cycle engine on those sedans it'll bump your MPG up over a conventional gas engine.

If your income supports a plug in hybrid there are still tax incentives that could make it worthwhile.

If your income supports a plug in hybrid there are still tax incentives that could make it worthwhile.
Looks like Prius Prime still has $4,500 in federal tax credit, and some states apparently have one too. Toyota has varying amounts of money on Prius right now, I think 2021's are getting more cash on them to move them--I was looking today and eyeing one, only because it'd be around $20k for a new car. I don't know if I'd bother with plugging in, but at that price, maybe it's worthwhile.

But I'm not sure I want to commute in a Prius (as opposed to a more comfortable & faster Camry). But I think a Prius takes a trailer hitch possibly better than a Camry, so...

To my eye the Camry is the winner there just because it blends in nicely. It is a really well-thought out chassis and blends in well. But that’s totally based on my own opions.

To the original post, the hybrids certainly return better highway numbers, even though they are made to do even better comparatively in stop and go traffic. I think the F150 hybrid is probably the exception there - as I’m not sure if can VVT over to an Atkinson configuration or not. Hybrid tech alone wont help highway, so seeing those numbers like cujet posted has me thinking that honda goes atkinson or pseudo-atkinson in their power plant. Since the atkinson cycle is anemic in torque, I wouldn’t expect ford to make that move with the 3.5, and I’m not sure VVT tech could swing that big of a change - though perhaps an alternate cam profile (Fords own vtech) maybe could.

Or - a used Jetta tdi, bmw 328d…. Straight-shift civic is getting close too….

m

Are they? I thought we were in the midst of some great drought of vehicles, with massive markups. Every time I look that is what I see. Maybe if one travels down south and looks for rust free examples, but up here, anything cheap is at the end of its life (rust).

While I agree with the sentiment of keeping the truck and adding a beater for the drive, it's not for everyone. I did that several years ago, and I've had my fill. I miss my truck but a small utility trailer is actually easier to use for moving things I think. Most ideal, nope, but I found it hard to justify keeping a truck around when I only put 5 miles a week onto it.
Agree … first time without a truck in decades … but we have two SUV’s and rubber mats in the back. Got rid of my heavy utility trailer and bought one light enough to grab the tongue and bring it to the hitch … it even has a ramp !
I put on new trailer wheels/tires that are better, taller, and wider … superior on/off-road …

OP, since you clearly like having the utility of a truck, but want better fuel economy, why not just upgrade to a 2021 F150 XLT Hybrid?
They are also offered in crew cab with 4x2.
Seems to me to be the best compromise
🤷‍♂️

Keep the truck if you are a homeowner or have ANY truck needs that may arise. They are infinitely useful. Hauling, moving, side jobs, etc. What if you lose your job tomorrow and have to get a different local job? A truck opens a lot of doors for even side work, like hauling, dump runs, moving people, etc.

Get a $2000 commuter car. Forget the nonsense about fuel economy. It is such a trivial difference for vehicles I don't understand how people get so wrapped around the axle about saving a few dollars in gas every week. It adds up to practically nothing in the grand scheme. Fuel economy should be so far down on the list for people as to not even be a major consideration. Even doubling something from 20 to 40mpgs is making trivial differences in price, while also probably huge sacrifices in build quality and materials (plastics where metal should be used), less HP, smaller size, etc. Much of these corner cutting measures COST money when plastic parts prematurely break, thereby eating away at any "savings" on fuel. Instead, get a safe reliable commuter car. A 2nd vehicle, like a car, will help keep miles off a very important valuable pickup truck. But keep the truck for truck jobs, like you mentioned.

An inexpensive V6 car from about 20 years ago will easily get 25-35mpgs highway and these are available for a couple thousand dollars. I would NOT chase some more expensive car that might squeeze 40mpg at any premium costs. You might look at the diesel cars from 20 years ago, those were able to boast 40+ mpgs; I am thinking the Jetta was one if I recall correctly. But then again, expensive to fix.

Any sale/trade/purchase should only be made when factoring everything, including the transaction costs of taxes and registration, in the mix.
Say you will pay 10% taxes/registration on the new vehicle. Let's say you buy a $5000 vehicle. You'll give the tax man $500. You're immediately behind and throwing money away. That's what, 20 or 30 tanks full of gasoline, flushed right down the drain to the tax man. It would take months, maybe years, of "fuel economy savings" to make that difference up.

I had a friend who had a similar situation; against my advice just basically gave a an extremely useful valuable Ram pickup truck, which he owned outright, at a huge loss, trading into a newer small engine car because he had a "long commute" and was spending too much on diesel. His pickup was infintely more valuable and useful. He took it in the shorts on the sale and the purchase, got into a financing situation. Then lost that job so the entire purpose of this foolish vehicle swap was for naught. I tried to talk him out of it but there was no convincing him. Now he has no truck, no job, and a commuter car he doesn't need nor can afford.
I’m all for the guy getting a hybrid and saving some money in his commute when you’re doing 35,000-40,000 miles a year, or more. But you do have a point about the amount of money we/us/everyone goes about trying to save a year on fuel...if we’re only talking a $1,000 bucks? It really isn’t a big deal to most, but if it’s $2,500? $3,000? $3,500? I mean at some point it does become worth something dele ding on how much money you earn a year...or even if you do earn quite a bit yearly, because it becomes maybe a matter of principal and common sense. But yeah I agree, $700-$1,000 bucks isn’t something to really get worked up about IF You like the other vehicle better. IMO.

OP, since you clearly like having the utility of a truck, but want better fuel economy, why not just upgrade to a 2021 F150 XLT Hybrid?
They are also offered in crew cab with 4x2.
Seems to me to be the best compromise
🤷‍♂️

I actually thought about holding off to see what the Maverick is going to do, but I'm afraid it's going to be too cramped on the inside for me.

A prius is out of the question, I couldn't see myself driving one of those. I'm not a fan of VW anything. I knew some one with a TDI and had nothing but trouble with it. Timing belt ended up popping 30k miles before it was due again and destroyed the engine. If I go the hybrid route it's either camry, accord, or avalon. I need to go drive one and see how I like it. I may end up hating the way the engine operates. If I go non hybrid I would want something with out a turbo and with out a CVT, which doesn't leave very many options.

I’m all for the guy getting a hybrid and saving some money in his commute when you’re doing 35,000-40,000 miles a year, or more. But you do have a point about the amount of money we/us/everyone goes about trying to save a year on fuel...if we’re only talking a $1,000 bucks? It really isn’t a big deal to most, but if it’s $2,500? $3,000? $3,500? I mean at some point it does become worth something dele ding on how much money you earn a year...or even if you do earn quite a bit yearly, because it becomes maybe a matter of principal and common sense. But yeah I agree, $700-$1,000 bucks isn’t something to really get worked up about IF You like the other vehicle better. IMO.

I think it's a psychological thing too...seeing every fill up inching closer to $100 (my wife's car is $100 to fill up from empty) knowing that I could probably be driving the same amount of miles per tank I am now on 12 gallons versus 23. Is $3000 a year saved gonna have THAT dramatic of an effect on my bottom line...probably not.

I think it's a psychological thing too...seeing every fill up inching closer to $100 (my wife's car is $100 to fill up from empty) knowing that I could probably be driving the same amount of miles per tank I am now on 12 gallons versus 23. Is $3000 a year saved gonna have THAT dramatic of an effect on my bottom line...probably not.

It could. It all depends on where that $3000 goes.

My thought here is that gasoline is not going to be cheap as we go forward. The trend is set.

I wanted to come back to this conversation for a bit. Again, I drive A LOT. Doing 3000+ miles again next Monday. Here is the problem as I see it. Today's fuel prices are higher than ever, and some locations are now at $6 per gallon. Yes, it actually cost me $69 to put 11.5 gallons in my Jag's 13 gallon tank near NYC!!! Just last year, that would have been $20 in Jupiter, FL. Out of a $100 bill, I got $30 back, just enough for lunch.

OK, so what's that mean for me? I pay all travel expenses, and they are no longer deductible. Fuel and other operational costs to drive the F150 on a 3000+ mile trip are quite simply putting me in the poor house. If I start out with $1000 cash, it's gone by the end of the trip. That's insane! Just a few years ago, I could do it in the Ecoboost for less than $400. (keep in mind many tolls have doubled in recent years too)

Rental hybrids can do the trip for just over $300 in fuel now, but good god the cost of the rentals is double, maybe triple, and destination drop-off charges run in the many hundreds now. Got a Kia Rio for $200 bucks per day a few weeks back in Wisconsin, ugh. Bottom line, my last raise was in 2013, I might as well quit at this point. I earn good money, but this is killing me.

So, for now it's the Ecoboost F150, 500 pounds of cargo, and let the $100 bills fly. It's not a matter of how much I save, it's a matter of just how much this is costing me now.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add that anybody who thinks they can rent a car and save money today is generally incorrect. Those days are gone too. That Kia Rio cost me about $750 for a 3 day local rental and airport drop off. Ugh.

Bottom line, my last raise was in 2013, I might as well quit at this point. I earn good money, but this is killing me.
Sounds like it's time to move on. Only you can determine that. Sounds like a bummer though, I know you like your job and all.

Just wanted to add that anybody who thinks they can rent a car and save money today is generally incorrect. Those days are gone too. That Kia Rio cost me about $750 for a 3 day local rental and airport drop off. Ugh.
I wonder if all the advice we've given (and received) over these years about "just rent a truck when you need it" might be coming to end too? I am guessing Home Depot et al will keep offering rentals but I wonder if it'll ever be available if the winds changed and gas prices go up.

I actually thought about holding off to see what the Maverick is going to do, but I'm afraid it's going to be too cramped on the inside for me.

A prius is out of the question, I couldn't see myself driving one of those. I'm not a fan of VW anything. I knew some one with a TDI and had nothing but trouble with it. Timing belt ended up popping 30k miles before it was due again and destroyed the engine. If I go the hybrid route it's either camry, accord, or avalon. I need to go drive one and see how I like it. I may end up hating the way the engine operates. If I go non hybrid I would want something with out a turbo and with out a CVT, which doesn't leave very many options.
Sienna hybrid is kind of cool too and only available as a hybrid now. AWD version gets an extra motor for the rear wheels. Starts around 35k.

I wanted to come back to this conversation for a bit. Again, I drive A LOT. Doing 3000+ miles again next Monday. Here is the problem as I see it. Today's fuel prices are higher than ever, and some locations are now at $6 per gallon. Yes, it actually cost me $69 to put 11.5 gallons in my Jag's 13 gallon tank near NYC!!! Just last year, that would have been $20 in Jupiter, FL. Out of a $100 bill, I got $30 back, just enough for lunch.

OK, so what's that mean for me? I pay all travel expenses, and they are no longer deductible. Fuel and other operational costs to drive the F150 on a 3000+ mile trip are quite simply putting me in the poor house. If I start out with $1000 cash, it's gone by the end of the trip. That's insane! Just a few years ago, I could do it in the Ecoboost for less than $400. (keep in mind many tolls have doubled in recent years too)

Rental hybrids can do the trip for just over $300 in fuel now, but good god the cost of the rentals is double, maybe triple, and destination drop-off charges run in the many hundreds now. Got a Kia Rio for $200 bucks per day a few weeks back in Wisconsin, ugh. Bottom line, my last raise was in 2013, I might as well quit at this point. I earn good money, but this is killing me.

So, for now it's the Ecoboost F150, 500 pounds of cargo, and let the $100 bills fly. It's not a matter of how much I save, it's a matter of just how much this is costing me now.
Why haven’t you bought a fuel efficient car yet? For what you spend on a rental in 2 days would pay for the car payment, not counting fuel savings. Just that one 3k mile trip would save you $263 in gas in a 40 mpg car.

Why haven’t you bought a fuel efficient car yet? For what you spend on a rental in 2 days would pay for the car payment, not counting fuel savings. Just that one 3k mile trip would save you $263 in gas in a 40 mpg car.
My Jag gets 27MPG. That's good for an AWD "winter" car. But I'm carrying things like this (heavy aircraft support tooling or parts) on these long trips:
The 2nd week in Sept, I'm going to have to move it all back down to FL. Heck Monday's trip is going to be at least 500 pounds worth of boxes of paperwork, records and books, and some tooling. It's also common to carry 2 to 4 executive aircraft seats and an entire setup for a crew rest area (pilot's sleeping configuration) Just can't do that with a car.

One of our seats:

9C6empY.jpg

That seat is for this:

d4rs49z.jpg

QXBp

dWxsLmpwZw

Last edited:
Get a Prius Prime and rent it out on Turo when you aren't commuting in it. Let it pay for itself with the rental fees and tax incentives. Wear a disguise so you don't see yourself compromising. 😃

But seriously the camry eCVT system should be all you need in a road hugging lead sled.

If the goal is to SAVE MONEY then the advice to "buy a new car" is wildly wrong. Between the taxes, registration, increased insurance (generally double the price of a used car), and the immediately 20% depreciation hit you're going to lose 5 years worth of price of driving and gasoline. E.g. on a $30,000 new car, you're going to pay $3000 in taxes/registration right out of the gate, lose probably $6000 in year one on depreciation, and pay larger insurance premiums. Year 1 is a $10,000 hit. By year 10, you've lost probably $20,000 in depreciation. I don't care how "fuel efficient" a car is, you'd need 40 years of heavy driving to break even, if you ever do break even, versus buying a $3000 20-year old Accord, Camry, etc. something reliable and safe that gets 25-30mpgs hwy.

Let's crunch some numbers, assuming a 30,000 annual commute, which is ~3x national average.
Car A, 20 year old V6.
30,000 / 25 mpg (a typical V6 from early 2000 era) = 1200 gallons of fuel x $4 per gallon (national average) = $4,800 annual fuel costs.

Car B, brand new XYZ
30,000 / 45 mpg (an excellent modern fuel efficient ride) = 667 gallons of fuel x $4 per gallon = $2, 667 annual fuel cost.

Difference is $2133, in this extreme driving situation. Cut that in half if the distances are the national average, so about $1600 annually difference.

There's FAR MORE important aspects in a car than fuel economy IMHO.

Plus, again, while car A is ~40% less efficient, it's 90% less expensive up front and insurance and taxes. Ownership over a 10 year period, car A crushes car B for ownership costs. Car B represents better economy, but at the costs of many tens of thousands of dollars in 10 years over car A.

Last edited:
Well we bought a prius 2 months ago and love the savings. If you don't NEED the truck, or want one, personally I would go Camry, as I think its a better hybrid system. Truck prices are at an all time high, so good time to switch. Maybe rent one for a few days? That way u can see what u save, and if you like it? I get what folks are saying about keep what u have, or buy a beater, but who wants to drive a beater for that many miles a day? If you can get a nice driving newer car that gets great mileage, AND get great money out of truck, doesnt seem like a bad idea. The savings we are getting , is almost paying for the car in our case. Plus still have the XC60 if we want something bigger. Maint. should also be quite a bit less on the toyo. Brakes esp. should last almost forever.

Are they? I thought we were in the midst of some great drought of vehicles, with massive markups. Every time I look that is what I see. Maybe if one travels down south and looks for rust free examples, but up here, anything cheap is at the end of its life (rust).

While I agree with the sentiment of keeping the truck and adding a beater for the drive, it's not for everyone. I did that several years ago, and I've had my fill. I miss my truck but a small utility trailer is actually easier to use for moving things I think. Most ideal, nope, but I found it hard to justify keeping a truck around when I only put 5 miles a week onto it.

I look at used cars constantly on local classifieds. Just looked at a car I'll probably be buying at auction soon. I watched a nice Volvo go at auction for only $1100. I looked at it in person. I sorta regret not bidding on it. A good deal.

Yes, used cars are up a bit in price, say 20%. That means a car that might have been $2000 is $2400. $3000 is $3600.

Plenty of very reliable $2500- $3600 cars out there, about 10-20 years old, 100-150k miles, and two decades of remaining life with a little TLC. And the V6s and V8s from the early 2000s can easily cruise at 30 mpgs and 25 mpgs respectively. Four bangers even better if it's just for long range commuting needs. A 2002 Honda Civic is a great car and will give 35 mpg hwy all day long.

This really isn't difficult stuff folks.

Back