Is a house really an investment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Texas we have property taxes, so imo that kind of cancels out any appreciation the house may develop over the years, then if you mortgage it you end up paying like 250,000 for a 150,000 house after thirty years. Everyone always says you're throwing away money living in an apartment, to me it's all the same.

I would say yes,since it's something that has the potential to go up in value,unlike a car or something. Heck,life is all about throwing money away. Once spent,it's gone forever.

Then again we can assume that the 150,000 will be worth 200,000 after 30 years, so thirty 30 years you spent $50,000 since you can sell it for $200,000. Eh maybe it isn't a waste of money after all.

Opinions? Of course I'm not including insurance and all the other expenses that come with a house.

Plus too,I think in order for a house to go up in value,it has to be in a desirable and valuable area that will remain desirable.

A house is a liability for 100% of the time you own it. When (and if) you can sell it for a profit (including inflation and property taxes accrued over the length of ownership) does it become an investment.

Buying a house is a choice of frugality, not investment, and it comes with a lot of consequences.

It may also depend on whether or not the mortgage interest deduction and property taxes are more than the standard deduction. If you've got a $150,000 house that's one thing, but if it's a $900,000 house then that's real money. The other thing is that rents increase but if you don't refinance a fixed interest rate mortgage pretty much stays the same. When you're paying rent you're generally covering all expense.

At least in my neck of the woods, houses appreciate in dollar value, so in that case it's an investment. It's also a bit strange because a typical new monthly mortgage for a single family house is going to be more than the rent. Many of the landlords of single family homes can only make money because they bought years ago when prices were lower.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
A house is a liability for 100% of the time you own it. When (and if) you can sell it for a profit (including inflation and property taxes accrued over the length of ownership) does it become an investment.

Buying a house is a choice of frugality, not investment, and it comes with a lot of consequences.

Believe what you like. All I know is that many of the houses I sell for my clients have them laughing all the way to the bank.

In my region I figured I needed 3-5 percent annual appreciation just to cover maintenance/insurance/taxes for an aging home. During the roaring period of 1996-2007 my home price doubled. So that was a big win had I sold. But the last 10 yrs they have fallen 25 percent.

So it's all about timing. If you can find a growing community that will maintain that growth for 10 to 25 yrs then that's an ideal area to buy in. Buy the right home, in the right area when prices are rising...and avoiding heavy maintenance costs during that same time, you can make out very well. If you get saddled with a new roof, new septic, new burner, new plumbing, tree removal, a new kitchen or batch, etc....owning a home can be a lot worse than renting. Try to buy fresh that gives you at least 10 yrs where big ticket items shouldn't be due. Taking down half a dozen large maple/oak trees over the past 6-10 yrs has cost me $10,000....never expected that one.

One analyst I follow feels the housing market follows a 78 yr cycle. The current one began in 1955, peaked in 2007, and will bottom around 2033. Some portions of the country will continue to grow and appreciate. Others will stagnate. And others could decline in value. Don't expect the next 15 yrs to be anything like the boom boom years of 1970's to 2000's. Different side of the cycle now.

Silicon Valley, Orange County LA, greater Boston, San Fran, and other hot markets that are probably much higher now than in 2007 are probably not the norm. It's all about location, timing, taxes/insurance, and upcoming maintenance. It varies wildly from region to region. If you own your home long enough, you may end up rebuilding one third to one half of it.

Anything with a title loses you money anything with a deed makes you money.
Really you are all looking this wrong. My house will be paid for by the end of the month, I will now live in my house two miles from the beach for the cost of Taxes and insurance about $220 a month not to mention I have a $250,000 house. Location, location, location. That's what the Realtors tell you because it's true. If you think you are going to buy a $20,000 house in a bad part of town and double your value you won't, if you buy a nice house next to sought schools and natural landmarks you may pay $100,000 but it will double.
Yes it's a investment but you got to know what to buy.

I've never considered my primary home an investment. I have to live someplace, it has costs,mincluding mortgage interest,,property tax, and upkeep. Yes, I can get 30c on the dollar for tax and interesting my income tax. No thanks, I'd rather have $1 of that $1.

Someplace I read that after taxes, upkeep, interest, realtor fees, upgrades, etc were accounted for, the typical appreciation was very modest over the long run, like 1.5% pa.

An investment home which generates rental income certainly is an investment, but it's a different beast.

I look at it this way, when you are ready to retire do you want to own a home free and clear or pay rent? In my area a mortgage is only slightly more than renting, however in 10 years the mortgage looks cheap compared to rising rent. So in the long term I see home ownership as a cheaper way to live than renting and you get the bonus of a big payout or free rent 15-30 years down the road. Financially free people own houses.

No one can assume what tax and insurance rates will be in 10 to 20 years. You could see your payments go from $5K to $10K per year. And that's the last thing you need to have to worry about when you're retired. But things seem to be headed in that direction as baby boomers move on and many towns search for revenue sources. My mil rate has doubled in 20 yrs. It will probably double again in another 20 yrs.

There are ideal periods to own a home....like 1970 to 1988. The next good period was 1996 to 2007. You certainly want to be in during those moves if you can afford it. The 2012 to 2017 period was a nice bounce back. I suspect that 2018 to 2021 will be a lot tougher.

Yes, a house is an investment. However, with an investment of any sort, one has a hope that it will appreciate in value, and that is the risk you take with housing since there are boom and bust cycles; same with the stock market.

Renting vs Buying: somebody mentioned property tax: well, rental property has tax as well, so that is factored into your rental costs. There are a handful of online tools that can help you decide between buying and renting. I am on my 4th home, and have kept some of my previous property as rental units and long term investments. My first place was a small condo in a lower-middle class area near D.C. , and required the most work to attend to tenants. After 20 years the mortgage was paid off, and I decided I did not want to be a landlord anymore and sold it. I barely broke even on it.

Also, think about the pride of ownership, vs renting; much like the decision to buy or lease a car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've never considered my primary home an investment. I have to live someplace, it has costs,mincluding mortgage interest,,property tax, and upkeep. Yes, I can get 30c on the dollar for tax and interesting my income tax. No thanks, I'd rather have $1 of that $1.

Someplace I read that after taxes, upkeep, interest, realtor fees, upgrades, etc were accounted for, the typical appreciation was very modest over the long run, like 1.5% pa.

An investment home which generates rental income certainly is an investment, but it's a different beast.

Right, average appreciation basically tracks inflation so if paid cash, your return isn't that good. But even if you did 20%, it's more like 1.5%x5 or 7.5% on your 20% down payment. Deduct your interest on your taxes. Pay no capital gains (up to 250k single/500k married) when you sell unlike the stock market which has long term capital gains.

You're leaving out a very important number. You can purchase the house in 15 years, you can live there till you die, could be 30 years and it only costs you taxes and some repairs. Or reverse mortgage till you die and get a check every month from your house.
If you rent you pay a higher and higher rate with no break your entire life.

If you're doing a comparison and coming to the conclusion that the apartment is better than your house, What this is saying is you have too much house if you feel you would be perfectly fine in an apartment.
It would be like someone saying why should I buy a car, I should just go to Hertz and rent one monthly, or to a lesser extent people who lease cars. If you have a huge expensive car that makes you feel it's cheaper to rent a car, then that means you have too much car.

If you feel the apartment is really the right move, this signals to me that either you should rent out your house and take the rent to pay for your apartment living while earning equity, or move and downsize your house, perhaps even to condo size.

Last edited:
It's definitely an investment for me. When I first got married, we moved to a bigger city. A few years later, our area became the "it" place to be, and rents skyrocketed. Also, the maintenance costs are minor, because I can do most repairs myself. Renting just makes someone else rich.

Last edited:
The whole time the debate rages on about whether or not a house is a good investment, don't forget that you lived in that house while you paid for it. You still need a place to hang your hat. If you're a hobbyist and your house has a big garage that's even better. Living in, and paying, for a house that suits your lifestyle has its advantages that payments buy for you.

It sure is an investment. It carries risk and definite winters and losers. I think most folks do better then inflation.

I got lucky on first home at 21 for $100k with 3% down that 7yrs latter and $5k small repairs/Reno flipped to $250k. Interst then was 7.5%!!!!! I know folks though who bought after a similar small place and had to pay $50-$100k At closing to walk away or claimed bankruptcy when easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back