Is 5 year old a problem with low miles?

You should drive it at least enough to get 2 or 3 tank fulls of gas ran through it per year. Use STA-BIL or similar.

Thanks for all the replies regarding the oil. :)

The filters are both the synthetic variety, hopefully they aren't doing too poorly. If I start to drive them more often, I will change the oil and filters.

Great replies!

I have a question. If you haven't changed the oil, filter, or the gas in 4 to 5 years, would you claim the vehicle was WELL maintained if you were to sell it?.,,,

I can't see myself ever able to sell them. However, I do have extensive spreadsheets with all the maintenance documented, so they would see the gap themselves.

I'd change the oil and filter. I'd be concerned about the media possibly breaking apart.

I can't see myself ever able to sell them. However, I do have extensive spreadsheets with all the maintenance documented, so they would see the gap themselves.
I say keep doing what you're doing. Oil doesn't go bad, and the filter will last a long time sitting in oil. There's a chemical rule of thumb that every 10 degrees rise in temperature doubles the reaction rate. Let's assume 10F instead of 10C (which it really is). If your oil filter temp is 190F operating and 100F resting, it breaks down 2^9=512 times slower sitting there than while operating. Basically, if your filter is quality it should last many years (decades?) just sitting there. It's probably better coated in oil than sitting on the shelf, where oxygen can get to it and cause the filter fibers to oxidize.

I've done two year oil changes (10-13k miles) and the only time the filter didn't look normal was when I used an el cheapo from Rock Auto. Everything was still intact, but it didn't inspire confidence, so I've been buying the 12 dollar filters again, $6/yr ain't bad.

Just change the oil and filter in both cars at the 5 year mark. Try to run them at least 30 minutes every month to get the engine up to normal running temperature to evaporate some of the volatiles that gets sucked into the oil, e.g, gasoline, acids, water, etc.

I have a 2010 civic with 47k miles. Bought it in 2013 with 7k miles. The paint has faded and gone to crap (thanks honda) but I keep it very well maintained. 3k mile oil changes. Function over form I say.

Back