Is 5 year old a problem with low miles?

I have two cars with Mobil 1 0w-40 in them.

The oil was changed in each at around four and five years ago. One of the vehicles has about 150 miles during that time, the other has 1000 miles. Is this a problem? Can I leave it another year or two unless I start using the cars on a regular basis?

The engines were in perfect condition before these last services, the oil never went these long periods before these past 4-5 years. It was always changed exactly on time and I've had the engines since brand new with 0w40 M1.

If you watch the YouTube people fire up cars with 17-35 year old nasty oil in them that was not synthetic and they don't immediately explode, I'd leave it in, but I'd change the filters per The Critic for sure.

I've got a 1997 Ford I bought new it currently has 41K miles and has had 12 oil changes since new. When I first bought it until about 30K miles I did 3K mile intervals regardless of time, now I do 5K regardless of time. I think it's been nearly 3 years since it's last oil change and has been under 2K miles. 1K of that was a road trip the other 1K has been mostly trips of 15-50 miles each so the oil gets heated up pretty good nearly every time I drive it. I use conventional 10w40. I would leave it as is.

Last edited:
ummmm ...what about the gas? 150 miles in 5 years ...the gas in the tank is a problem. Also my main concern would be if they got below freezing. Water will condense in the tank, engine and absorbed into brake fluid. With no heating to boil it out it will rust from inside out. Omce you get them running check the dipstick for milky look would indicate water. For return to full service id get full service done otherwise let it sit and don't use.

Last edited:
if your on the fence as far as an oil change , find yourself some good oil on discount and a rebate, and get it changed

With regards to the gasoline time and mileage let me suggest you use https://www.pure-gas.org/ to find E-0 gas in your area. Additionally I'd add some Star Tron to your gas.

Yes try to use regular gas whenever you can, the ethanol in today's fuel can create a ton of problems. I have a newer motorcycle that's fuel injected and the owners manual says I can run e10 but I've had problems twice with water in the fuel when using it. It's not always feasible for me to run the non-ethanol but I do try too whenever I can, I also keep some form of treatment with me and the Star-Tron is an excellent choice but I also use Seafoam and when I'm at Tractor Supply I pick up a little bottle called quick fix that is in their small engine section and since I've been treating the tank using any of these I've had no issues since.

This particular scenario is something no one really knows and we can only take a guess on. I suppose a UOA might help for the future OCIs. Everyone will have their own opinion on this.

Recently, I've gone ~2000ish miles in ~2.5 years(Oct 2017- Apr 2020) on PYB 5W30 in the Firebird in my signature and when I changed the oil it look fine and the engine ran well. Many years ago(late '80s-early '90s), I even went 3000 mi in 3 yrs on the same car using dino(probably Havoline) oil from the that period and the engine is still fine.

Engine is still fine to this day after 41 years/46K and it's never been opened up expect to change valve cover gaskets(RTV) and it looked GREAT!

Personally I’d just change it, that oil has been sitting in those crankcases for four years? And the oil does have some mileage so there is some fuel in that oil (and wouldn’t that slowly form acids/sludge/etc). I’ve seen some oil pans on cars that have sat for a long time, it’s not pretty, but then again I’m no mixologist or oil engineer.

Star Tron does claim to rejuvenate stale fuel plus it can be bought in higher concentrations which makes it a better deal than the others.

Even with premium oil, low miles and occasional 30-minute runs, the longest I would go on an oil service interval is about 2 years. Most owner's manuals say 1 year max, and even synthetic oil is very cheap nowadays. I would definitely change them both. The term "penny wise but pound foolish" comes to mind.

I'm not against changing oil/filter early for one reason or another however, I am against wasting resources. In other words, I don't want to just go ahead and change the oil every 3000 miles(any longer) just because I'm stuck in the past.

There has to be a balance between usage & time and no one can really put a "WHEN" to change the oil/filter on an engine that has only traveled 150 miles in the last 5 years. That to me is a BIG - Hmmmm! :unsure:

At this time, I wouldn't know exactly what I'd do in this situation except think about...if I did change the oil/filter, well, how long will this OCI be? Another 5 yr/150 miles? :rolleyes:

Back