Is 300K miles unreasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"With Honda products the rubber parts will rot before you get there if you take more than 10 years to do it... but the engine will be sound."

Are Honda's rubber parts more susceptible to deterioration that the rest of the industry?

Just to make you feel better.....I am in sales and I drive about 50K each year. My counterpart in GA has a 2001 Accord with 281K miles on it. It has had regular preventative work, but nothing major. I think the rotors have been replaced (plus several sets of brake pads and tires). He was going to buy a 2007 Accord....but now he thinks he will try to get one more year out of it.

So to answer your question.....I don't think that 300K is out of the question for your Accord. Just do the maintenance and cross your fingers.

I don't think this is a particular weak spot for Honda. I think plastic and rubber parts getting brittle from sun is the beginning of the end for all cars. I've had old Honda products kept in the sun, and with some rubber protectant a few times a year, they were OK. But real shade would be ideal. A garage-kept car with well-fed plastic and rubber parts can seem like new for a long time.
Salty roads are a car's worst enemy. Inescapable doom.

This car is garage kept, babied if you will, other than the many miles it's going to be driven. Protectant is a regular treatment, shinetsu on the non-drive-train moving parts, where applicable, e.g. sunroof seals and hinges, door trim seals, other hinges and seals where appropriate, etc.

As for salty roads, not really a problem here, although I've been known to be pretty salty myself.
grin.gif

To me 300k miles is nothing for a highway driven car. Even newer front wheel drives can last that long. My girlfriends mom has a 94 Chevy Lumina minivan with the 3.1 engine and it has 564,xxx km's on it (350k miles) on the original engine and transmission. Only repairs have been normal parts like alternator, suspension, brakes and tires, etc.

I also know a guy with a 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme with over 1,000,000km's on it. The original 267 V8 lasted 1,000,000 and then it was replaced with a rebuilt 305 V8. The transmission and differential are still original.

The older Caprices would last well over 500k even under severe service stop and go driving.

LouDawg
regarding the quote below, I asked my brother about his trannies. He confirmed that he'd never had a single problem with any of them. Bear in mind that they were all manual, 5 speed transmissions. In terms of service, he would change the transmission case oil periodically (every couple of years or something), but that's all. He also said that the shifter mechanism got to be very stiff on one of the cars. He bought a $30 bushing kit from the dealer and after that it shifted like new.

FYI....Phil
Quote:

Quote:

It is indeed an '07...
va3ux, that's encouraging to hear about the mileage your brother had. That's what I'm shooting for...did he have any tranny problems or if not, how and how often did he service it?

Not a single tranny problem. Don't know how often he had it serviced - I'll ask him.

My cousin, Larry, who has posted here has a Honda Civic with almost 400k miles, and to answer the previous post about the ruber parts, they are in great shape. But the car is in the San Diego area and is in a garage or under a car port when not being used. 300k is easy given the right conditions. Without that, no so easy. The oil and engine are the easiest part of the deal. It's the other stuff that will kill the car.

Quote:

What are some good products to keep the rubber parts from "brittling" away over time?

I've also had good luck with protectants (e.g. Armor-All, Son of a Gun, etc.) on the rubber and plastics. That's pretty much what they're designed to do, but don't use them on your seats, leather, or your dash if it's going to be shiny (glare).

Highway miles just flat ARE less stressful for any kind of motor vehicle: engine and transmission are warmed up, rev's are usually steady, the entire powertrain is in what is hopefully it's optimum configuration vis-a-vis torque, hp, and gas mileage...

This is ALL presupposing the vehicle is ACTUALLY being kept in optimum condition: air filter, fuel filter, OIL & OIL FILTER
deadhorse.gif
tire pressure, coolant and brake fluid, etc.

Otherwise,
crushedcar.gif

But, TRUE STORY, there are also those like a gentleman just described in an article last week in the Dayton Daily News who bought a BioDiesel converted 1986 Mercedes Benz 300SDL with 369K on it for $6,000
nono.gif
dunno.gif
offtopic.gif
assimilation.gif
, then put a new engine ($15K with installation), a "new interior" for $1K (probably MB-Tex plastic seat covers, eh?) and a $1,500 re-paintjob just SO HE COULD BURN THE VEGETABLE OIL HE GETS FROM THE LOCAL GREASY SPOON for a $ a gallon!

Cheers!

I hope 300K is reasonable, because tomorrow I'm buying a C1500 1988 Chevy pickup with 200K on it!

Eh, the price reflects the mileage. But this owner really appears to know how to take care of stuff. The engine compartment looks like it's been carefully and thoughfully handled. The interior is immaculate. And, he's been running Amsoil in it! I think I'm getting a good deal.

Oh, and it has a manual tranny. Cheers!

Not this guy. He's good. (Well, is there some trust going on here? yes...) But sometimes you can look at how things are being taken care of, and figure out that you're dealing with the right kind of person. Everything from the interior upgrades to the way he has attached the battery connections tells me that he likes to do things the right way. I could look at 100 old pickups and not find out cared for like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back