is 128k miles too late?

Don't let anyone talk you into using the elusive dexTron fluid.

I would change it, no problem. My daughter had a 1995 Cutlass Ciera in high school. Shifting was notchy. I changed that bad boy out and it was smooth and solid. Drove that car until father winter claimed it's quarter panels.

I changed the ATF on my 2004 530i when it had about 100,000 miles on it. I used ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid. I changed it twice with a drive in between to fully mix the fluid. I sold the car recently with 240,000 miles on it and it was running perfectly - the transmission was still shifting fine.

If it were my car, I would change the fluid in your car with 128,000 miles and use the ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid. Even though I've heard good things about Maxlife fluid, I would definitely use the proper ZF fluid.

I changed the ATF on my 2004 530i when it had about 100,000 miles on it. I used ZF Lifeguard 6 fluid. I changed it twice with a drive in between to fully mix the fluid. I sold the car recently with 240,000 miles on it and it was running perfectly - the transmission was still shifting fine.

If it were my car, I would change the fluid in your car with 128,000 miles and use the ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid. Even though I've heard good things about Maxlife fluid, I would definitely use the proper ZF fluid.
My car does not have a ZF transmission.

Do it. I did a change on a 2011 328i X-Drive E91 (wagon) that a friend owns at 150k miles. It immediately shifted a bit harder as the car adjusted to the new fluid. A week later it shifted better than it ever has, and now has 172k miles with buttery smooth shifts. I only use MaxLife in the BMW GM transmissions. A fluid and filter change will never hurt, only a power flush can cause issues.
Sounds good.

Did you do multiple drain and fills?

I would still change the fluid and just use the proper fluid for that transmission. Sorry, I thought it would have had the ZF 8-speed.
Alright, I'll plan for a filter and fluid change a few times with Valvoline Maxlife ATF,

I'll make a post when I get around to it, as I'm waiting on the weather to warm up.

Sounds good.

Did you do multiple drain and fills
Yes I did two. First I just did a drain and fill, then drove around the block and changed the fluid again along with the filter. I bought the filter kit from FCP Euro and the MaxLife at WalMart. I've done this on two other cars (including my own) with the same fluid and filter with good results. One thing I do recommend is some sort of fluid pump to fill the fluid. You can use a hand pump, but the fluid pump is worth it's weight in gold for this job. Just seems to make for less of a mess.

This is the one I have:

I also can't remember if the FCP Euro filter kit included drain and fill plugs, but I would buy those as well, mine were a bit tough to get off and I'm glad I replaced them.

Yes I did two. First I just did a drain and fill, then drove around the block and changed the fluid again along with the filter. I bought the filter kit from FCP Euro and the MaxLife at WalMart. I've done this on two other cars (including my own) with the same fluid and filter with good results. One thing I do recommend is some sort of fluid pump to fill the fluid. You can use a hand pump, but the fluid pump is worth it's weight in gold for this job. Just seems to make for less of a mess.

This is the one I have:

I also can't remember if the FCP Euro filter kit included drain and fill plugs, but I would buy those as well, mine were a bit tough to get off and I'm glad I replaced them.
Ok, thanks for the info.

Any reason to change the filter after draining and filling it, as opposed to changing the filter after draining the pan for the first time?

I'll try the hand pump the first time, and I'll consider going the power fill route if it's too difficult to use the hand pump.

Will this work? BMW GA6L45R Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Genuine BMW 24152357284

Ok, thanks for the info.

Any reason to change the filter after draining and filling it, as opposed to changing the filter after draining the pan for the first time?

I'll try the hand pump the first time, and I'll consider going the power fill route if it's too difficult to use the hand pump.

Will this work? BMW GA6L45R Automatic Transmission Filter Kit - Genuine BMW 24152357284
Yes, that is the kit I bought. It shouldn't matter if you change the filter with the first drain or the second. I mainly just did a drain and fill first to see what the fluid looked like. It was still red in my car at 40k miles, but in the E91 with 150k miles the fluid was fairly dark.

Yes, that is the kit I bought. It shouldn't matter if you change the filter with the first drain or the second. I mainly just did a drain and fill first to see what the fluid looked like. It was still red in my car at 40k miles, but in the E91 with 150k miles the fluid was fairly dark.
Did you do any reset or relearn procedures?

It seems the common consensus is to not worry about it.

DO NOT RESET ADAPTATIONS

The attachment is from xHP concerning ZF6 and ZF8 but, unless you find something other than forum anecdotes, I would apply the "adaptation" reasoning here to yourself as well. Better safe than sorry. As you'll read, transmission adaptations are not one to reset willy-nilly, especially as mileage increases. A lot of forum folks are adaptation reset crazy.

[ as it turns out, I cannot attach the PDF copy I have. Instead I post a link to the article. Unfortunately, xHP only posted it on facebook - sorry ]

[ EDIT 2: I can't even insert the facebook link as a link. Plain text below ]
[ EDIT 3: It might be my adblockers and browser plug ins, but the forum seems to be converting even a plaintext link to embedded content that won't display. Google "xhp flashtool adaptations" and follow the article "adaptations - the most misunderstood...." Maybe the embedded link works for some of you. Sorry]

Last edited:
DO NOT RESET ADAPTATIONS

The attachment is from xHP concerning ZF6 and ZF8 but, unless you find something other than forum anecdotes, I would apply the "adaptation" reasoning here to yourself as well. Better safe than sorry. As you'll read, transmission adaptations are not one to reset willy-nilly, especially as mileage increases. A lot of forum folks are adaptation reset crazy.

[ as it turns out, I cannot attach the PDF copy I have. Instead I post a link to the article. Unfortunately, xHP only posted it on facebook - sorry ]

[ EDIT 2: I can't even insert the facebook link as a link. Plain text below ]
[ EDIT 3: It might be my adblockers and browser plug ins, but the forum seems to be converting even a plaintext link to embedded content that won't display. Google "xhp flashtool adaptations" and follow the article "adaptations - the most misunderstood...." Maybe the embedded link works for some of you. Sorry]

Thanks for the confirmation.

has anyone changed the x drive fluid and not reset adaptations m?

The whole “late” thing is an old tale. Plus 128K isn’t late no matter what.
I got a garage who has a policy not to service transmission who haven't had any service in over 100,000 miles. And they service a TON of transmissions. "He told me they don't wish to buy anybody a new transmission!".

I got a garage who has a policy not to service transmission who haven't had any service in over 100,000 miles. And they service a TON of transmissions. "He told me they don't wish to buy anybody a new transmission!".
I suppose they can do what they want. The logical problem with that position however is that since many manufacturers don't call for a fluid change in the vehicle's lifetime, that means they will never perform the service for a customer unless the customer states it has been done before 100,000 miles. Up to them I guess.

That policy is more about lawyers and liability than engineering judgement. IMHO.

I suppose they can do what they want. The logical problem with that position however is that since many manufacturers don't call for a fluid change in the vehicle's lifetime, that means they will never perform the service for a customer unless the customer states it has been done before 100,000 miles. Up to them I guess.
I'm planning on changing it.

I've been reading through the Bentley repair manuals, and it's interesting that they say to do it at 100k miles.
I'm definitely NOT going to flush it.

From a business perspective, it is strictly a liability and/or customer satisfaction issue.

The type of customer who is diligent about maintenance will not wait until after 100k for their first transmission service.

The customers who come in wanting a trans service after 100k have a high likelihood of being ones who are asking for a transmission service to solve an issue, which it usually won't.

I'm planning on changing it.

I've been reading through the Bentley repair manuals, and it's interesting that they say to do it at 100k miles.
I'm definitely NOT going to flush it.

I don't have a Bentley-but a Hyundai. I changed my wife's 2017 Santa Fe XL-Limited because at 45,000 the transmission was not shifting like new. The manual says 100,000-the dealer says 50,000. So while dealers get a bum rap on here-in this case they are right. I took it to an Independent garage and switched out the old with Maxlife. It's at 50,000 now and so far it's great.

Back