Is 10W-30 Syn Oil Obsolete

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice the 10W-30 is not very popular in US & Canada but many prefers the 0W-20/30 or 5W/20/30. Or is the 10W-30 too thick to flow when cold resulting excessive wear during start-up. May I know what you guys think of 10W-30 grade oil.

Don't know what you're talking about - I belive 10W-30 is THE no. 1 consumer grade in NA.

10W-30 syns are good, b/c they often don't need VII's to make the spread, and can actually more often than not, pump and flow as well as a 5W-30 synthetic - the numbers for two are often VERY close...

10W-30 synthetics are really good oils in that they require little VII to be multigrade, so they do not tend to shear down as much and are less volatile.

In most climates above 0F (-18 C) 10W-30 will perform adequately, and in high temperature engines and conditions I would imagine it holds up somewhat better than 5W-30 for staying in grade and not thinning as much at high temperatures. Typically they offer an HT/HS viscosity closer to 3.3 than the 3.0 of 5W-30, and stay in grade.

North America encompasses everything from +50C temperatures in the Sonora Desert to -50C temperatures in Alaska and northern Canada, 10W-30 is a good choice for anything over about -20C but in this area anyway the local Quick Lube place tells me they use 5W-30 and 5W-20 the most with requests for 10W-30 only during the summer.

Originally Posted By: airwave
Or is the 10W-30 too thick to flow when cold resulting excessive wear during start-up?

That's gotta be it right there.

I've used nothing but Havoline 10W30 in my '97 Grand Prix and it has 345,000 miles on it now and still doesn't even use a quart between changes of 5000 miles. Good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back