iPhone 6 Bends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yepp, I am still loving my $180 Android powered LG Optimus L90. Solid phone that runs very well and has the LG self healing skin...AND a replaceable battery.
181795-Blog_LG_L90.jpg

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Seems mostly an issue with the 6 plus??

Seems to be the bulk of these complaints so far are for the plus.

Some engineering types have commented elsewhere that this is entirely predictable. Apple went to an AL frame with the 5. With AL being less elastic than plastic, at some point it doesn't recover from the force and permanently deforms. Apparently, this doesn't require one catastrophic bend like that video, but can result from repeated smaller events.

I was unaware that it also was a risk with the 5. But that phone was smaller and the frame sidewall was thicker and rectangular cross section, so the couple reports of it involved the most extreme cases.

But the 6 is larger and has thinner, curved frame walls which are substantially weaker than the 5. So the risk of bending is increased, especially at the control cutouts, where the frame is weakest of all. That seems to be where the bending is happening in the pictures.

The advice is to carry the 6 in a front shirt pocket and treat it more gently than a 5. I don't think Apple has commented on this. With Jobs gone, it will be interesting to see what they say about it, if anything.

Time will tell. But it looks like the 4, with its steel frame and glass back, is the most rigid of all.

Every new iPhone has this happen on release. With 5-10 million units handed out, it is going to suffer more real-world situations than the designers can ever contemplate. Even the 4 had its "antennagate", but we never had a problem with ours.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Time will tell. But it looks like the 4, with its steel frame and glass back, is the most rigid of all.

It's certainly the highest quality phone I've ever used. It feels like it was milled out of solid billet. No plastic phone compares in my experience.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

It's certainly the highest quality phone I've ever used. It feels like it was milled out of solid billet. No plastic phone compares in my experience.

But you have to put it in a case anyway, so what's the point? If you don't put it in a case, as soon as it slips out of your hands it shatters.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
AND a replaceable battery.

Every phone has a replaceable battery, including iPhones.

He meant easily replaceable battery than can be done in a few seconds with no tools......

You'd have to be a half-wit to try and cram the iPhone 6 Plus into anything other than an extremely large, loose, pocket. Especially, as noted, the new silly (and ugly) "skinny jeans". Of course, when you sit down the pockets get even more constricted.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
But you have to put it in a case anyway, so what's the point? If you don't put it in a case, as soon as it slips out of your hands it shatters.

I keep my phones in skin-tight cases, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/iFrogz-IP4CS-GRY-ClipStand-Case-iPhone/dp/B005GRG876

It's really not much of a case at all...it just allows the phone to be holstered. I don't usually carry it in a holster, but in my pocket instead with the rubberized skin wrap on it. You can absolutely feel a "flexy" phone vs. one that's not in slim cases like this one. You also still feel all of the buttons, and the tactile feel of a steel button against a steel chassis is something that's not easily replicated with plastic.

Sort of the difference in feel in the switch gear between a Mercedes and a Honda. The Mercedes stuff is just built to a higher level of craftsmanship and precision, and you can feel that every time you drive one. Same (for me at least) with phones.

Originally Posted By: Zeus33
He meant easily replaceable battery than can be done in a few seconds with no tools......

Yeah, I know what he was getting at, but a battery change is something that should happen at a frequency of between none and once in the life of most phones. From the perspective of something that should happen at most once in 2-3 years of phone ownership, I don't think the difference between a 5 second operation and a 5 minute operation is significant.

Yeah, I know what he was getting at, but a battery change is something that should happen at a frequency of between none and once in the life of most phones.

User accessible battery also allows you to quickly swap in fresh juice if battery #1 got depleted and you have no way to recharge. Or it allows you to install a primary battery with larger capacity than OEM.

Granted, you can just run around with an external battery pack instead, but it's less convenient.

Unless it's a rigid case, I don't see that helping much with bending. A lot of the impact absorbing ones are soft jelly types.

I like the Evutec Karbon SP - a hard kevlar shell with a soft inner liner.

The advice is to carry the 6 in a front shirt pocket and treat it more gently than a 5. I don't think Apple has commented on this. With Jobs gone, it will be interesting to see what they say about it, if anything.

Except that this is impossible with the obnoxiously sized phones that are out these days, apple now included.

Apple needs to branch out into clothing business now so that they can start selling shirts and pants with big enough pockets to fit these new iPhones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back