Cool new Features = iPhone 14 and Watch 8

This just out the other day.
New iPhone 14 being released with some more lifesaving features. Including new Watch 8.
Cool new feature in iPhone 14, SOS !
Can be pretty handy for sports people in areas with no coverage AND the marine industry.
Your iPhone 14 can send out an SOS without a cell network or wifi by using satellites.

Also new this year is crash detection in the iPhone 14 and in the new watch 8 (more lives saved)
(no USA price increase on the iPhone 14 was the biggest industry surprise)

My own personal story;
Amazing stuff, with in 2 or 3 months of getting the watch 7 last Christmas the ECG function most likely prevented heart damage to myself because of early intervention.
The Cardiologist's looked the ECGs from the watch and did their own heart monitoring with their equipment, it confirmed what the watch was reporting (14,000 PVCs, PACs and one VTACH in a 24 or 48 hour period) and got me what I need to get my heartbeat under control which wasnt showing up as severely during EKG and Stress Test examinations at the office.

Last edited:
I think the SOS via Satellite communication is very cool. I bought a 4 wheeler and really want to get into riding a lot, with that said, I've considered a Garmin communicator numerous times for those "what-if" and emergency scenarios. I have an iPhone XS Max that I didn't think I was going to upgrade from, for a while, but with this feature, I think I might re-consider.

I think the SOS via Satellite communication is very cool. I bought a 4 wheeler and really want to get into riding a lot, with that said, I've considered a Garmin communicator numerous times for those "what-if" and emergency scenarios. I have an iPhone XS Max that I didn't think I was going to upgrade from, for a while, but with this feature, I think I might re-consider.
Yeah, I thought of it for my family circle, very few midsize boats carry satellite communications and just another safety device when on the Ocean besides VHF, I know there is EPIRBs for boating most neglect that though> I also thought about, at times, what if god forbid I have a motorcycle crash with no one around in a rural area or if your younger and have teenage kids out and about all hours at night.

Here is the catch though, right now its free and will be for at least two years, I wonder if they will ever start charging for it. I would think, for now, it will be a perk and reason to buy into their products. I suspect it will stay that way and great marketing tool.
... and I think that is what I am saying, its a nice thing to have and built into the device. Kind of like their ECG function on my watch 7 at the least helped prevent damage to my still healthy heart which may not have been as healthy anymore if it wasnt for the watch.

Last edited:
I like these new upgrades. The AirPods Pro are also improved.

iOS 16 is another upgrade that has some very interesting additions especially in the fitness portion.

Oh man, I didnt know about the new AirPods Pro (Gen2) thanks.
I currently have 2 other brands that I like, but wife loves the Pros I got her last year and I was thinking about a set for no other reason than I am looking to buy something ... and I like music too of course.

Edit - Just found a review here, they sound (no pun intended) pretty good too = https://www.zdnet.com/article/airpods-pro-2-vs-airpods-pro/

Last edited:
Oh man, I didnt know about the new AirPods Pro (Gen2) thanks.
I currently have 2 other brands that I like, but wife loves the Pros I got her last year and I was thinking about a set for no other reason than I am looking to buy something ... and I like music too of course.

They get a new chip and better noise canceling. Also improved Transparency mode

I'm ordering two 14 Pro models from the Apple Store tomorrow. Probably won't ship until 10/9/22. More than likely going with T-Mobile for service. My wife and I have had 7+ models since 2016. Buy them outright and never get a contract works best for us.

I'm ordering two 14 Pro models from the Apple Store tomorrow. Probably won't ship until 10/9/22. More than likely going with T-Mobile for service. My wife and I have had 7+ models since 2016. Buy them outright and never get a contract works best for us.

The new phones are using a E-sim.

I never went for contracts either, at least not in the last 14 years. However for the first time in that 14 years we did sign up for T-Mobile a few months back.
First off with T-Mobile there is no contract, second we took them up on a deal where we got two new iPhone 13’s in exchange for our iPhone XR and iPhone 11 at no other additional cost.
Being we are over 55 we got the magenta 55+ plan which is fantastic.
With all the above said however even though there is no contract if you cancel the service before two years are up you will be paying the difference in lost cell phone bill credits.

Anyway might be worth it to check out but since you want the phones right away chances are T-Mobile will not have them right away. I just saw they do have some good deals on the standard non 55 magenta plan right now as well.

The new phones are using a E-sim.

If you have your old iPhone with a physical SIM and new iPhone signed into the same Apple ID, your new phone will give the option to convert and activate on an E-SIM from your old phone. No popping SIM trays, no store visits, much more secure option.

Back