iPad Pro/magic keyboard complaint

Just purchased an 11 inch iPad pro and magic keyboard. After reading how capable this setup is, I believed all the bragging and spend $1400. Now, I'm not new to Apple products and have just about every one of their iPhone and iPad products. This combo is unique and therefore useless for my needs. (my old 2nd gen iPad Pro 12.6 inch works fine) (and no there is nothing wrong with my new unit, my wife's similar unit does the exact same thing)

I am always pressed for time and I expect to be able to do real work with my computers. Imagine my frustration when the iPad/keyboard combo simply refused to properly fill out forms. I could type at 1 character per second, any faster and the intermediate characters would not be there. Then trying to edit required using a combo of arrows, deletions, addition of other (useless place-filler text) text then adding the character I wanted, then deleting the place holder characters. Holy mother of god, that was frustrating. When it finally started putting text under the "line" and 2 hours had gone by, I gave up, went to the business center at the hotel and got the job done on a regular PC.

To make matters worse, after all that work, I could not save the PDF with the changes, to then email it. And before you ask I do have a PDF app. Saving then emailing the edited form is virtually impossible, short of taking screen shots and sending it as a Jpg.

Word to the wise, the iPad Pro is not for Pro's. It's for kids.

Last edited:
I've noticed on every iPad I have used, you cannot type very fast or it skips letters. Not bad in some places, but very bad with some apps.

I've noticed on every iPad I have used, you cannot type very fast or it skips letters. Not bad in some places, but very bad with some apps.
But that's the thing, my 2nd gen iPad pro 12.6/apple keyboard, can accept my typing rate, no prob. Plus editing is not a frustrating experience. I'll never claim it's as powerful as a PC, but at least it works. This new unit is getting repurposed, I'll probably put it on our new Pilatus PC-12. I just can't deal with that.

This is the setup I'm talking about:

fd7dace0-8283-11ea-bdbd-e2dfef5b65cc

Last edited:
I had a Pro since 2016 that I replaced last summer due to the battery getting really tired from heavy use. Got a basic $329 one to replace, and they gave me $190 trade-in for the old one. This cheap one is as fast as I could ask for. Not sure why I would need a Pro. And I'm an Apple fanboy. I do miss the Pro's speakers a little bit.

I had a Pro since 2016 that I replaced last summer due to the battery getting really tired from heavy use. Got a basic $329 one to replace, and they gave me $190 trade-in for the old one. This cheap one is as fast as I could ask for. Not sure why I would need a Pro. And I'm an Apple fanboy. I do miss the Pro's speakers a little bit.

I agree. I don’t get the allure of these tablets as compared to an actual computer with actual file system. I have a tablet for web browsing. Can’t see it thst useful for much else. I have a pro for work, and it’s really just an email interface.

But that's the thing, my 2nd gen iPad pro 12.6/apple keyboard, can accept my typing rate, no prob. Plus editing is not a frustrating experience. I'll never claim it's as powerful as a PC, but at least it works. This new unit is getting repurposed, I'll probably put it on our new Pilatus PC-12. I just can't deal with that.

This is the setup I'm talking about:

fd7dace0-8283-11ea-bdbd-e2dfef5b65cc
Maybe since the Pro has quite a bit more juice than a "regular" iPad, the processor can keep up.

I’ve got the smaller iPad Pro and a generic BT keyboard. Mine has been wonderful. I used it heavily this semester to assist in teaching on Wednesday nights - 25 page lessons in keynote - lots of kbd use both in creation, and also taking notes on the nights I wasn’t up to speak. The iPad has replaced most of my personal computing needs - though the PC sits downstairs for “real work.”

I’ve used these little generic BT keyboards for a few years, even with iPhones, and haven’t had many, if any issues with them. I think there’s an issue with yours that‘s not the norm??

-m

Back