ionic fogger for engine cleaning???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water injection has been used to clean the combustion chamber. I was looking at an Ionizer mister that creates a fog from water by ionization. I was wondering what it would do if you could pipe the fog into the air cleaner before the MAF sensor. It is 24 volts AC, so I would have to find something for 12 volts or get a DC/AC inverter. I am guessing that it will do as much good as driving on a rainy day.

ionizer fogger on ebay

How many gallons per hour do you think this might produce?
I suspect hardly a fraction of one.

It's better to find a vacuum line heading into the throttle body after the MAF to get the water in. It worked well on the Buick.

It's not really an ionizer, it's just a little piezoelectric element generating ultrasonic waves that creates a water mist. You can find a 12VDC ultrasonic humidifier to do the same thing without all the power supply madness.

One thing to consider though is that the water vapor entering the intake will vary with manifold pressure unless you regulate it somehow. Just be careful not to let it pull in too much water vapor or some nice, straight metal parts in your engine could get all twisty on you. Also shut off the vapor supply before shutting the engine down to make sure you don't have excess water sitting in the combustion chamber creating ferrous oxide.

Maybe adding some Pine Sol to the water would clean things up even better?
grin2.gif

Quote; Just be careful not to let it pull in too much water vapor or some nice, straight metal parts in your engine could get all twisty on you.

No way could any MIST Hydrolock an engine!

Originally Posted By: expat
How many gallons per hour do you think this might produce?
I suspect hardly a fraction of one.

Not very much. I don't know how much it takes to clean the engine. I am guessing that the mister would do about as much as a drive on a rainy day.

I was just thinking out loud. I felt that a mist in front of the air filter was safer for the engine as opposed to pumping water into the intake manifold. I had a water injection in my old 69 Vette, but my new car is computer controlled and I don't want to screw anything up.

The pump up misters people carry around to cool themselves down are good for water cleaning. Ive read that the droplets need to be large enough to make a thermal change that lets the carbon break off. A fog would just cool the intake charge like what performance racers use to keep detonation under control.

Right before an oil change get your car nice and hot and mist the intake at 2000 rpm with distilled water out of a spray bottle or mister. Black goo will drip out of your tailpipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back