*Investors Blog*

Thanks for this post.

The answer to your question is = No
The reason for that may be procrastination and or if I roll it over into anything I would roll it into an existing Roth and the thought of paying taxes at this point led me to procrastinate more.

The other part of the equation is, I have a Roth account right now which I use as a speculative account investing in individual stocks.
In my mind, leaving the 401k alone in index funds is a safety that I can’t screw up.
Meaning, I consider the index funds a safe investment and my Roth IRA can afford to lose, but would be depressing LOL yeah would still have the safety of the 401(k) as a back up that I never touch

Not sure if this makes any sense and it certainly most likely can be improved upon. It’s just right now it’s working for me and whether it’s procrastination or my life is just so occupied with other things right now I haven’t taken the time.
It makes perfect sense. You use your Roth as "pin money" and can do whatever you want with it since you don't need it to live. Your 401k account is a firewall - it's invested for aggressive growth, but not in a speculative manner. Your needs being met by other reliable income sources means you won't be hit with sequence of return risks if the market goes south, so you don't need a large cash or bond portfolio.
I'm in a similar situation, but as soon as I left my company (retired) I rolled the balance from a Fidelity managed 401k into a Fidelity IRA. Each year after that I rolled a variable amount from the taxable IRA to the Roth. My only mistake was not to be more aggressive in rolling to the Roth.
I mention company shenanigans as the company I worked for was bought out by a lowlife corporation just after I retired. The made a small name change, organized under a different LLC, and told Fidelity to transfer the 401s to a different organization (some miserable bank with limited investment opportunities). Those under 59.5 years old weren't allowed to roll their funds out as Fidelity was lied to and were told the company was the same.

Thanks for this post.

The answer to your question is = No
The reason for that may be procrastination and or if I roll it over into anything I would roll it into an existing Roth and the thought of paying taxes at this point led me to procrastinate more.

The other part of the equation is, I have a Roth account right now which I use as a speculative account investing in individual stocks.
In my mind, leaving the 401k alone in index funds is a safety that I can’t screw up.
Meaning, I consider the index funds a safe investment and my Roth IRA can afford to lose, but would be depressing LOL yeah would still have the safety of the 401(k) as a back up that I never touch

Not sure if this makes any sense and it certainly most likely can be improved upon. It’s just right now it’s working for me and whether it’s procrastination or my life is just so occupied with other things right now I haven’t taken the time.
Doesnt sound like you have a need to rollover but in case you don’t know, you can just roll to a pre-tax IRA (assuming your 401k is pre-tax) rather than your Roth IRA if you ever desire to make the switch.

Whew, lucky I sold off my GM last week for a 7.5% profit to buy META and NVDA, if I waited until today I would have had another 4% profit in GM for a 11.5 gain.. oh well... I just hope it doesnt go to 60 *LOL* But that is part of the shorter term investing. Sometimes better off left alone, than again, unless it goes down.

If you remember me saying I rarely check or play with my 401k. I just let it sit, currently 50/50 S&P index fund and Nasdaq index fund. I think an important message for some who may let an "advisor" pick out certain stocks instead of index funds. Im only saying this if they are going to invest in individual stocks, I personally believe one day things will go down in a ball of flames maybe but dont listen to me or anyone else.

Anyway, just checked my return on the 401k for last two years and I dont want to give it back *LOL* but I am going to let it ride. My wife manages her own 401 without input from me, she used to ask me and I told her many times she is doing well to better without me and again, she is in index I think but I dont ask nor want to interfere. I only wish a very long time ago I did do index more steady rather then go for the golden goose.
This is my 401 last two year performance just on those two index funds.

View attachment 224167
Well done AG!
The S&P and Nasdaq are, of course, tech heavy. Tech for the win!
Top 25 Companies by Index Weight
1MICROSOFT CORP (MSFT):7.20%
2NVIDIA CORP (NVDA):6.40%
3APPLE INC (AAPL):6.24%
4AMAZON.COM, INC (AMZN):3.76%
5META PLATFORMS INC, CLASS A (META):2.36%
6ALPHABET INC CL A (GOOGL):2.34%
7ALPHABET INC CL C (GOOG):1.98%
8BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY INC. CL B (BRK.B):1.66%
9ELI LILLY AND COMPANY (LLY):1.46%
10BROADCOM (AVGO):1.38%
11JPMORGAN CHASE & COMPANY (JPM):1.29%
12EXXON MOBIL (XOM):1.16%
13TESLA (TSLA)1.10%
14UNITEDHEALTH GROUP INC (UNH):

Unbelievable. No secret in here that I actively trade GM, after holding it again 2 months I gave up on getting more than a 7.6% gain.
TRUE story, I sold it last week before the NVSA 1 to 10 split and purchased NVDA and META ( I always wanted META) Anyway, I missed out on the another 5% yesterday alone (sad I am) on top of that I sold off some but WMT to buy META... not upset but sometimes I should just stay put (until you dont) Same with TMUS that I sold off last year and WMT is doing well this week and always will.

Good news is everything I held has done very well, Im a bit nervous holding tech stocks, but ... well, anyway, wish I didnt jump in NVDA but glad I am in META.

GM stock is a bargain and has been for quite some time now. Just keep in mind for 5 decades the stock has gone no place BUT with a stock at 6 times earnings compared to the industry I look at it as a safe bet, more so with the CEO talking about how good business is and producing the numbers to prove it. Anyway ... not sure what I may or may not do this week ... got not such a great feeling short term about NVDA if timing is perfect I would pick up my GM again, should the market tank. but what do I know? NOTHING *LOL* Except GM is killing it, business booming until it's not.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:
So, Sat morning was interesting for Schwab customers with NVDA shares. They adjusted the # of shares, but not share price until about 9am cst

I was quite happy for a few hrs.
That happened to my sister and BIL once on their small qty of Tesla stock. Too good to be true, but it was fun for awhile.

Re CPI today, and fed meeting. Pretty big day.

Per my post on May 15th, I predicted due to the base affect we get headline CPI slightly up (current consensus is down), and core down a bit (current consensus for core is also down)

My current guess - and that's all it is - is the same as then most likely. Possible exception headline is flat instead of up due to falling gas prices. I still agree with consensus of core going down a bit. We will see.

Many believe this is the last fed meeting they can do anything prior to the election. I disagree with that idea, but I also don't think they will change anything here.

IMHO.

Going out on a limb here, we will see. Im loving META, why? because I use it and have for a very long time. Their new algorithm to me is amazing me with content and advertising that draws you in. It's amazing and effective, also I think for the first time a reversal of young once again tuning into it.

I know nothing about META company stats. A lot of what I invest in I am a user of the product. Im wishing I bought more, I cant bring myself to sell off more WMT but seriously thinking about selling off my NVDA I bought both last week and split my investment roughly 50/50

We will see, open to comments! *LOL*

Another day, another record high. Yup. If you can't make money in this market, well I don't know what to tell you.
Tech? Anyone mention tech?
Honestly the general market not great today. Normal. Settling

Time will tell with tech- never act like tech up will never stop and it doesn’t- really- just can have some long pauses. Think from the 1960s

I can’t predict the future but there is almost always a rally in something

Honestly the general market not great today. Normal. Settling

Time will tell with tech- never act like tech up will never stop and it doesn’t- really- just can have some long pauses. Think from the 1960s

I can’t predict the future but there is almost always a rally in something
Tech is a roller coaster. Tech accelerates the rate of change.
IMO, the biggest thing is AI. The only question is, where will requisite data come from? The AI algorithms are one thing, and certainly doable, but AI runs on data.

For tech to grow, we need requisite chips. The Semiconductor Manufacturing companies and fabs are the foundation for the NVIDIA, Google, IBM, Microsoft, Tesla and the rest run on the most sophisticated geometries and especially packaging.

AI is algorithms that generate advanced statistics. Statistics are simply representations and interpretations of data. Here's a video that brings a little reality to this AI thing...
AI Explosion? from Sabine Hossenfelder, a Theoretical Physicist. Along with her brilliance, Sabine brings reality and a little humor to today's incredible technologies.

Back