*Investors Blog*

Yep. I’m afraid my financial info gets into the wrong hands.
OMG, after decades of the same accounting firm. I can’t ever remember such a screwup. They mailed my tax returns to my old temporary address which was an apartment after we sold our SC house and before our NC house was finished.

Even though at the top of my work sheet in bold type I put my new address to update. It was for the first time in decades a different person working on my stuff.

It was a lost cause, two weeks later no return and they mailed out new copies to the proper address.

I was freaked out, had my Fed and multiple states in there. I was just imagining an apartment dweller using our info. Somehow even though I allowed my 1yr mail forwarding to expire, a few weeks later the original ones arrived at my new home. Talk about relief and praise for the USPS.

It made me realize using the USPS is a loose cannon compared to digital information delivered through the internet.

I always told people this for decades, those who would worry about making payments on the internet vs a paper check with your account numbers on it and sending it to a stranger through the mail. Here our entire tax returns were missing with all the documentation that I sent them to do the returns being returned to me along with the returns themselves.

Last edited:
I already have a workplace account there. Wouldn't that disqualify by for any bonus?
I’ll chime in that I did a couple of promos with Fidelity last year for small potatoes. But having a workplace account (or existing brokerage for that matter) didn’t exclude me from taking advantage of them. You’ve got to read the fine print or give them a call and ask what if any deal they are going to make you.

Fidelity (my opinion) has the best user interface for a brokerage account.
I like how user friendly everything is and how website is layed out.

I will find out if there’s any promotions besides a Fidelity credit card.

I got a few hundred bucks for opening a fidelity account a year or so ago.

I just opened one for my daughter. There were no offers online. I did an online chat with someone and they gave me a number to call and ask. Since she has well under $10K to deposit I just opened it.

E*Trade was offering a bit of money to switch. I was thinking of doing it - I could move the account I only hold T-bills in to them.

Was the 10k a standard promotion or did she have to reach out and ask for it based on how much she was transferring?
She asked. And yes it was well into the 7 figures. $X,XXX,XXX.XX

Fidelity (my opinion) has the best user interface for a brokerage account.
I like how user friendly everything is and how website is layed out.

I will find out if there’s any promotions besides a Fidelity credit card.
They all have their warts.

I don't like how Fidelity (doesn't) tell you very precisely about dividends, especially specials.

You know, I agree with many comments on over hyped AI talk BUT NVDA?
Is it really over hyped? It’s growing profits by leaps and bounds.

Is the P/E at 60 ish really that outrageous?
I’m SERIOUSLY thinking about jumping in on this one. I think their their growth will be unstoppable?
Profits unstoppable?

I watched this stock loosely since maybe some in here were born *LOL*
From riches to rags back to riches.

Please give me some valid points to not jump in big next week.
Nobody can predict the future but based on my understanding of NVDA (ex wife holds it because we bought $5000 14 years ago), it has the following pros and cons:

1) It was betting a lot on GPU, basically everything, unlike AMD / ATI / Xilinx. The CEO was a risk taker and a very good marketer, knowing how to price his product very well and how to splice scrap GPUs to just the right price and performance to maximize profit, etc. You are buying a lot of premium because it is run by Jensen, not just another accountant or consultant from Wall Street with an MBA.

2) It bought out almost all the near term TSMC capacity for the best chip capacity, not just the lowest nm process but also the more expensive HBM packaging / silicon interposer. Having the memory run faster closer to the GPU actually cost more than the GPU itself and that's where the cost is. You have to go to Taiwan for that and I am not sure if US or S Korea has that advanced of a HBM process.

3) CUDA, you need many years to come up with an alternative even if everyone else collaborate on it.

4) Mellanox, they bought the best data center network chip company and they use that to make their whole rack work faster than anyone else in the industry

5) They are sold out, everyone wants to catch up after OpenAI / Microsoft went so far ahead. Sovereign nations want to make sure the future is not English AI monopoly so everyone wants in at all cost.

6) Wall Street are buying a lot of NVDA because fund managers don't want to look bad not having it

7) It is too expensive so every big tech is trying to build their own chips, even if they are 5x as much they want second sources + their own so they have more control over it. AMD / Amazon / Meta / Intel / Apple / Google / Qualcomm / Chinese probably all have them planned right now but they are fighting for TSMC schedule to build them. In 6-10 years they would be over supplied.

I may buy a bit just as a hedge but I wouldn't buy it just to get rich. My investment is in MSFT because of the cloud (Outlook, Teams, Office 365, Azure), plus a bunch of 5.4% T Bill laddered from 90 days to 1 year. Everyone and their moms are buying NVDA right now and I am thinking it is time to cash out on that.

No doubt NVDA has good tech, good pipeline, great company.

But worth more than all the companies in Germany… Germany, combined?

AI is a buzzword. Not to downplay it, but it’s a buzzword. Data analytics, deep learning. Sure, all have promise. Not denying any of it. As someone who not only resources, but executes cutting edge research, sorry, AI isn’t truly there for most things. So like we talk about for other tech, it’s the “paper reactor”.

But if NVDA went away tomorrow, folks would still be working on the same buzzwords, and the next tech entity with a good idea would be coming in behind.

You really want to fathom and wager what would happen if these German companies went away tomorrow? I can tell you one thing, NVDA wouldn’t be able to execute. Nor would countless other industries. And that’s just Germany, and German industry and tech…

And I get it that tangible utility and products and all isn’t how we value businesses… but still..

So, sorry, but it’s absurd.
Germany is more in industrial business than software or chips. NVDA have been profiting from crypto for a long time. I think NVDA knows how to create market and invest ahead of everyone else when there wasn't a market yet (i.e. somehow convince people to buy GPUs to not just play games but also can make money mining crypto on the side).

I am not discounting Germany's tech i.e. automation / robotics etc but the profit margins and economy of scaling industrial goods are different than scaling chips and data center / software stuff.

I don't think NVDA would stay hot forever either, but I don't anticipate it go out of business like Sun or fall like Cisco. Jensen was able to manage inventory very well back when it was just doing GPUs for gaming and crypto mining. I would bet he know how to handle soft landing of the company and pivot the GPUs to other kind of market. I heard currently there's a hiring freeze at NVDA despite the record stock price, and they did try to buy ARM even when they were making so much money on GPUs already. I think they may get into other data center products, or some hybrid chips that works differently.

Saw this in my email today - thought it is interesting as HealthEquity allowed for investing the HSA balance through various funds (similar to "typical" a 401k setup already), but the Schwab option is new as far as I know. Fidelity has an HSA as well that in my case it not related in any way to HealthEquity or my employer's plan.

1717123258323.jpg

Back