Investing Strategies. What is your move?

Ehh...didn't you just agree with me? I don't see any difference between what I wrote and what you wrote?
"Their prices are based on what the market is willing to pay".

This is the part I don't concur with. If multiple companies had the ability to compete with Amazon- Amazon would not have the luxury of non-competitive price modifications on a MACRO scale of their choosing.

"Their prices are based on what the market is willing to pay".

This is the part I don't concur with. If multiple companies had the ability to compete with Amazon- Amazon would not have the luxury of non-competitive price modifications on a MACRO scale of their choosing.
Ok..."the market" are Amazon customers. Amazon tracks and modifies prices up to every 10 mins per item and some of that calculus is trying to determine what the market is willing to pay with a whole bunch of additional variables as well. I'm not making any direct comments about whether or not their competitors can or can't compete. If you find an item on Amazon that seems overpriced you can bet it's because the market is willing to pay that price at that moment and if the market is not to pay it will be modified relatively quickly.

Korger, Walmart, etc, re jumping on the Amazon business model as far as online ordering, grocery delivery, etc. They are late to the game. AT least one business (Sears) who was well position to have a similar business model didn't even try.

Let's Blame Amazon-the big bad cooperation. NO! Let's blame all the business who sat on their laurels and let Amazon flourish.

Korger, Walmart, etc, re jumping on the Amazon business model as far as online ordering, grocery delivery, etc. They are late to the game.
Kroger/Fred Meyer has had online grocery ordering for pick-up or delivery for many years now.

Korger, Walmart, etc, re jumping on the Amazon business model as far as online ordering, grocery delivery, etc. They are late to the game. AT least one business (Sears) who was well position to have a similar business model didn't even try.

Let's Blame Amazon-the big bad cooperation. NO! Let's blame all the business who sat on their laurels and let Amazon flourish.
Amazon down 50% (fifty percent) last 1 year and 2 year
Walmart Unchanged last 1 year and 2 year

Let’s go to 5 years;
Amazon unchanged
Walmart up 75 to 100%

Sounds like Amazon has been the lemon between the two.
Maybe better said who was most happy over the last 5 years? I was by buying and holding Walmart vs Amazon because I’m up in that 75 to 100% range from the price I paid.
Also Walmart has paid me dividends faithfully, Amazon doesn’t pay.

Last edited:
Let’s go to 5 years;
Amazon unchanged
Walmart up 75 to 100%
?
WMT.JPG

AMZN.JPG

Its uncanny that WMT and AMZN are about the same over a 5 year span but got their from different directions.

Both benefited from the lockdowns and government stimulus. WMT recently has benefited from the downgrading trend - shoppers that would normally shop higher end are going to WMT.

Still - during a fed tightening aren't we supposed to sell retail and buy smokestack and commodities?

Thanks for the correction. Im generally not so "sloppy" looking something up. No excuse,I just had to get that post in on the fly, on my cell phone short on time and was completely wrong. I was trying to compare initially AMZN to when I bought WMT ...
I actually bought into WMT on
03/25/19Buy
Bought at 97 (it was so long I looked at the price I actually thought I paid less) its up roughly 40% which I am happy with in this messed up market and world right now. Ummm.. maybe I wouldnt have minded dumping it at 150+ this year and sitting everything out but I haven't.
AMZN
If I bought AMZN instead I would have paid roughly $88 a share on 3/25/19 and today its still around $88 a share, no gain at all.
This is what I meant to post but got careless and lazy because I was rushing a post on my cell phone. Being I was holding this stock I couldn't even remember exactly the day, month and price I paid.
Thanks for the correction and for others who might have read what I posted as correct!

Its uncanny that WMT and AMZN are about the same over a 5 year span but got their from different directions.

Still - during a fed tightening aren't we supposed to sell retail and buy smokestack and commodities?
Yeah, I think Dave Hess knows I was wishing I got out around when he did or maybe even if I pushed it into the spring would have been great.

As I posted above to 99 Saturn ... I owned WMT since 03/25/19 it was a nice run for me, for what I considered safety in a messed up market.
I think I got that perfect right through COVID and more.
I hope I didnt wait to long on it, as I still own it and the world is still just as messed up. I keep waiting for another leg up but maybe compared to AMZN it is. From the time I purchased WMT Amazon is back down to what it was in 03/25/19 and Walmart still up 40% (Rough numbers as they are all over the place)

I think you are right and here I am thinking WMT will be different again, in the 3 years it kind of has because they have been expanding well into other areas which right now, the big difference between AMZN and WMT is Groceries. Groceries last I knew is what is saving WMT right now, both in sales growth and profit. What's more, more middle class America are buying groceries there now.
I live in an area where WMT is sometimes looked down on, I have seen that changing over the years and I walk in there now and they are booked with employees all over the place going up and down the isles filling grocery orders. Im thinking maybe it's losing its "sigma" I ahve to say though, if another big jump in price I might bail. Over time they were also opening health care centers and that kept me interested but I am not hearing much about that anymore.

With that said, its not right to judge a company by your own personal experience, other than a hope and prayer others are doing the same.
Back in 2019 I didnt buy Target because my impression of our store here was like, stupid, I couldn't (and still cant) understand why people shop there, so maybe its just our store here, maybe jaded by the uni-sex bathroom commotion still too. Well TGT would have been the stock to buy at the time as it shot to the moon. I STILL would have been better off owning it today if purchased on the same date above but I dont cry about should haves.

Gosh another long post and hope I got this one right because I am starting to rush. ;)
But to address the last line in your post, retail as a group doesnt seem like a wise idea but somehow I think WMT will be different. We all knows what happens when you think something will be different, sometimes!

I think you are right and here I am thinking WMT will be different again, in the 3 years it kind of has because they have been expanding well into other areas which right now, the big difference between AMZN and WMT is Groceries. Groceries last I knew is what is saving WMT right now, both in sales growth and profit. What's more, more middle class America are buying groceries there now.
+1, something like 50% or 55% of WMT's net sales was groceries in 2022. Amazing to me as locally I at least don't find them the cheapest on a number of items I buy, but obviously YMMV.

I was trying to figure out where the technical support levels were at. I think we have blown through them?

I think it might have a ways to fall - especially since a bunch of people likely want to sell and realize the loss this year maybe? Still, P/E below 40 - time to catch the falling knife? I may never own a Tesla - but I would own TSLA stock.

+1, something like 50% or 55% of WMT's net sales was groceries in 2022. Amazing to me as locally I at least don't find them the cheapest on a number of items I buy, but obviously YMMV.
Not sure if you know my posts, Im from Long Island, NY, born raised, spend over 4 decades of my life there, moved south 16 years ago.
I dont even think there was a WMT on Long Island until we moved South and I thought at the time it was a gross one.
Anyway, didnt shop there and it wasnt exactly around the corner either.
They have a newer one near us in the South, not bad, pretty nice, it's a huge one but no automobile services, it does have everything else though.
I think it's something about the South, people looked down shopping there, at least in the more affluent areas.
Almost everyone we knew here at first didnt go there, then I saw the change over the years and now the place seems packed all the time.

I think for a nice experience Publix is the place, they are all over down here, their shopping carts sooooo smoooooth and clean, glide effortlessly and quietly along the highly polished floors, the employees nice. We go there for a specialty thing once in a while (like the standing rib roast my wife just bought for Christmas Day, at an amazing price too) but to us Im not going to pay their prices for other stuff, way more expensive to the point it's a turn off at times. For example I can buy Yasso Frozen Yogurt bars in WMT for $4.99 and also in Food Lion for $4.99 in Publix they are $6.59 Its the same product.

Just one extreme example. We also have Kroger here similar theme to Publix to us, more wallet friendly and competitive on the yogurt bars *L*
A local food lion comes in Handy, we also have Aldi and Lidl here, very competitive but a bit farther from us. We use a mix of them but by far WMT is our main place to go, after all they have all those other departments like oil and filters! Boating Supplies, fishing ect.

This is obviously a stock that is traded on emotions.
Boy it can be REALLY tempting, darn it, that stupid "falling knife" thing in my head!
Maybe that "thing" is a good thing though, emotion might send TESLA into the toliet even further so todays margin might look expensive next week or I could be saying "darn it!" I should have bought in!
Really, we know how the media thing goes and think I mentioned it in here. TESLA from can do no wrong in the media to now, cant do anything right. Now besides all the negative press, new today (at least I think its new today) are questions if Tesla overbuilt production capacity.
I do feel a little vindication over some debates about this company, just suggesting that high flying companies that are doing everything right in the media with super high valuations would get me flamed over the last year, by me just stating that all it takes is a hic-cup and people lose their shirts and its not the fault of the company, its the fault of the investing public and media owning a high flying, high P/E stock ... though I have to admit, this is looking pretty bad short term but what do I know?

Last edited:
Back