Investing Strategies. What is your move?

The markets will likely be sideways until the Fed announces their next hike which by all accounts will be 75bp. The Fed statement following the hike will be the center of attention.

WalMart Pre-Announced BAAAAAAD Guidance looking forward

From CNBC;

“Walmart on Monday cut its quarterly and full-year profit guidance, saying inflation is causing shoppers to spend more on necessities like food and less on items like clothing and electronics.”

This is a classic symptom of consumer defensive spending.

PS: Walmart shares are down almost 10% in after hours trading.

JP will leak the rate hike early not to startle the market.

Walmart comments are a snap shot of what’s happening at other retail stores.

JP will leak the rate hike early not to startle the market.

Walmart comments are a snap shot of what’s happening at other retail stores.

WMT sneezes and the retail sector catches the cold. Amazon is stumbling as is Target and the rest.

We are being put into a recession. When we live on credit money costs effect us all.

Shopify = :ROFLMAO:

My sense is that Shopify, like a lot of newer tech driven companies have a over abundance of employees. Even the big boys, Apple, Alphabet and so on are slowing down on hiring.

This is not new. Most large companies have their share of water cooler guards and wall bracers.

Trading for income:

Last Tuesday July 16th I made a bullish bet on nat gas, sold out of the money put options on BOIL when its price was $67. Today its $96. Sweet!

Made bearish bets on Tech and Financials by selling out of the money put options on TECS and FAZ.

I'm long O&G with shares od ERX.

This is typical of MSM.

Apple to report earnings on Thursday. From the article:

“So far, Apple’s sales have remained strong, partially because its customers are a fairly well-off group.”

Someone at CNBC should research better. This article is full of foibles. Anyhoo, this will be one to watch.

Lots of idiots will buy an iPhone on a payment plan just to have the latest phone / technology.

Just because people buy an iPhone doesn’t mean they are of a ‘well off group’ .

Lots of idiots will buy an iPhone on a payment plan just to have the latest phone / technology.

Just because people buy an iPhone doesn’t mean they are of a ‘well off group’ .

If you have the Apple Card you get 3% cash back right off the bat plus the purchase of a iPhone can be set up for monthly installments at 0% interest for 24 months. This is the way to go and it makes it easier for anyone to purchase a iPhone or any Apple product for that matter.

If you have the Apple Card you get 3% cash back right off the bat plus the purchase of a iPhone can be set up for monthly installments at 0% interest for 24 months. This is the way to go and it makes it easier for anyone to purchase a iPhone or any Apple product for that matter.
I think what's Dave's talking about (and he can jump in here to correct me if I'm wrong 😁) is that regardless of the tricks, discounts, payment plans, etc, there are millions of people who spend a significant (ie like some measurable percentage of their income) on expensive stuff like iPhones or other "luxury" goods who could get by just fine with lower cost options and should by any objective measure be putting that money towards paying off debt, making rainy day funds, saving for retirement, etc.

My street for instance is lined with many cars that cost a whole hell of a lot more than my 2006 Accord but I'd bet dollars to donuts their retirement accounts aren't as large as mine 🤑

I have an iPhone SE, bought "refurbished" for $300. There isn't a person on Earth who actually needs one of the big ones at 4x that price, yet Apple sells a ton of them to people who make a quarter what I do.

jeff

Back