Investing Strategies. What is your move?

The woodshed has been busy today.

Roku getting walloped after hours, down more than 25%. Wow!

You seem to have latched on to 3 mismanaged companies. SWK never should have sold off their security business, META is trying to turn into TikTok and ROKU has been a dumpster fire for months, fighting with YTTV, HBOMax and Paramount. All three are garbage companies.

You seem to have latched on to 3 mismanaged companies. SWK never should have sold off their security business, META is trying to turn into TikTok and ROKU has been a dumpster fire for months, fighting with YTTV, HBOMax and Paramount. All three are garbage companies.

More to come.

You took the words out of my mouth.

Low income folks just need a $100 Android cellphone and spend the rest of the money saved not buying an iPhone on food for their kids. Food in the refrigerator is much more important than a new iPhone every 2 years.

I know a few very wealthy folks and they all have $100 Android cellphones…..

The boujee folks know you can buy a $300 Motorola that will run circles around a $1,300 iPhone.

Right now nothing looks really good for investments. Housing and real estate are showing signs of faltering in many US markets. Stocks and stock indexes are down. Bonds are poor right now. Crypto is down big-time.

The problem with going to cash by liquidating investments is that it locks in any losses.

Tighten your belt and keep the long haul in mind. Things will get better, but as in 2008 it might take a while. However, those near retirement probably will have some difficulties.

Right now nothing looks really good for investments. Housing and real estate are showing signs of faltering in many US markets. Stocks and stock indexes are down. Bonds are poor right now. Crypto is down big-time.

The problem with going to cash by liquidating investments is that it locks in any losses.

Tighten your belt and keep the long haul in mind. Things will get better, but as in 2008 it might take a while. However, those near retirement probably will have some difficulties.
That's what my wife told me about AMZN today. I'm in the red about 15% which is better than the 28% a couple of weeks back. Either ride it out or liquidate when at break even...

Amazon is a good stock to hold long term, so is Costco and Walmart.

I made a little money with Amazon over the past decade+ .

• Who knew so many people loved inflation?
That's the feeling I'm getting these days.

The consumer price index ("CPI") – the most widely watched inflation gauge – rose 8.5% year over year in July.

The CPI was down slightly from the 9.1% reading in June. And it came in below analysts' expectations.

For once, it wasn't the worst report we've seen in the past 12 months.

And one "not-the-worst report" is apparently all the proof most folks needed...

Domestic equity markets were higher Today as signs of an economic slowdown continue to emerge. That makes sense????
The August Empire State Manufacturing Survey fell 42 points month over month ("MOM") to -31.3, missing consensus by a wide margin and marking the second-lowest print on record.

Elsewhere, the August National Association of Home Builders Housing Market Index fell five points MOM to 49 – the lowest point since May 2020. Economists also predict that single-family housing starts will decline for the first time since 2011.

So hey!! lets buy stocks??

jetman,

Its the calm before the storm. Everything can be in shambles and things are OK on Wall Street.

I‘ve got cash on the sidelines after taking nice profits due to the volatility earlier this year, had some very good days.

Keep your eyes on your weather radar for those storm clouds brewing on the horizon….

Last edited:
I've got something I have no idea how to react to. I have no idea if it is good news or bad news.

The federal government just announced a 21% reduction in Colorado River water usage for Arizona. I am invested in GWRS who is a water utility in Arizona. I don't believe they feed directly off the Colorado, but I'm assuming this decision will have some far reaching effects across all-things-water in the state.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing financially for a water utility that owns a good chunk of water rights in the state?

I don't know much of anything about the stock market. But one thing I think I know is pension fund monies that should be in treasuries, bonds, etc are in the stock market. Along with millions of sr citizens savings in the stock market.

The federal reserve and the Treasury have a very vested interest to ensure the stock market does not fall big on a macro basis. I would not bet against the stock market no matter what the actual economic situation is. The federal reserve has unlimited tools to make sure the stock market does not go down hard.

Last edited:
Back