Internal Rust on Champion COS16 and COS3980 oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a few Federal-Mogul Champion oil filters on clearance at Rock Auto. I saw on another thread where some folks were less than impressed with the quality of the filter so I decided to cut open the two different filters I had purchased. I was surprised to find rust on the internal part of the can where the leaf spring came into contact with the inner part of the can housing. At first I thought it may be left over glue residue but on further inspection I confirmed it is rust. Theoretically the filter should catch this before it gets into the engine but now I'm hesitant to run them. What do you think, run them or ditch them?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ryan

Last edited:
Working under the assumption that the original retailer didn't clear out new inventory...

It seems odd that a person would pick up old stock clearance items and then remark that they look old...

I mean, isn't this part of the assumption when you buy something for $0.97???

Got a date code to go with this, usually on top dome end? Possible a storage environment issue, iirc no first time an RA sold filter shown rust issues.

With the numerous threads about Rock Auto selling damaged or poor condition goods, for 97¢ what would anyone expect?

A lot of their stuff posted on here looks like it has sat in a leaky garage for ten years before somebody buys it.

Just curious, is that amount of rust in the filter going to cause any real issues when it gets mixed with the fresh oil? I know it's nicer to have a rust free oil filter but if you're paying $0.99 for a filter obviously you don't care very much for the longevity of that vehicle, aka it's usually a beater or less than prime. Unless the rust breaks off in huge chunks, which seems unlikely, all I see is possibly adding to the iron numbers if you do an UOA. If you buy filters in multiples then most likely some rust will form unless they are stored in a real dry climate. I've used filters that are 5 years and older that were stored in a container in my not so dry garage. They probably had rust in them but they never affected engine or the UOA's I had done. All is still good 21 years later
grin.gif

Whimsey

Rust is iron oxide, in optics it is used for fine polishing and called rouge. Not going to harm anything since the filter will take out the larger pieces, if much rust breaks free at all. The fines will break down rapidly and cause no harm, it's such a small amount in the oil.

Most of RockAuto's closeout parts are shipped from Sugarland, TX, near the Houston area. Several years ago, during the Houston flooding, I posted here the question about who had the courage to order RockAuto parts from the HoustonSugarland area and a few people didn't take kindly to that post. Now I have no idea where these filters have been sitting for a few years, but it looks like they were sitting someplace that had a humidity problem.
BTW, I've ordered many closeouts from RA since, including these filters, and I'm happy.

I have purchased filters from Rock Auto in the past with no rust inside the cans. I have purchased less than 90 day old Motorcraft filters from Walmart with rust on the inside of the center tube. The amount of rust on the Motorcraft oil filters is less than these filters but on the outlet side of the filter. I won't run the Motorcraft filters.

I wouldn't run any filter with rust on it. Still possible for some to get through the bypass vavle if it opens up. Any rust getting between engine parts is going to be very abrasive. Why chance it to save a couple of bucks?

Thanks for the posts, especially everyone who actually answered the question I asked. I don't think I'm going to run the filters. They probably wouldn't hurt anything but now that I know the corrosion is there I would worry about it and a few bucks isn't worth the stress. Sometimes good deals work out and sometimes they don't.

Cheers,

Ryan

Where were those made? They don't look like they're USA-born Purolator, Champ Labs, Wix or FRAM.

A lot of the overseas mfg'ers can make a copy-cat product from an aesthetic perspective but typically miss some of the fine performance details. For instance, the Asian paint usually performs poorly, and the steel may not have any / enough rust inhibitor (i.e. not tin / zinc plate, no nickel, etc).

But without a date code, I think the 97-cents sums it up. haha

Where were those made? …..
The topic Federal Mogul Champion filters have been Hecho en Mexico.

I inquired about the date code because I was trying more accurately speculate on the cause. And old(er) date code could be more a storage issue. New(er) date code, possibly manufacture issue.

There is another RA Champion filter posted here that looks ok.

It looks like my filters are old. The date code for the COS3980 is 141125 J and the COS16 is 141126 J.

Originally Posted by rrwildlife
It looks like my filters are old. The date code for the COS3980 is 141125 J and the COS16 is 141126 J.

Hard to say how that date code is read. They differ all over the map.

At times date codes can be difficult to definitively decode. However, that usually doesn't stop many from trying. Since you say they look old, I'll say first 11/25/14, 11/26/14. Another option using Julian code, 112 day 2014. In any case, don't see a code that would indicate recent manufacture. Storage 'could' be a factor here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back