Interesting read in Nissan GTR 2015 manual

The nissan gtr vq38dett engine is based on the reqular nissan vq engine series.
This is just an n/a alluminium v6 engine which is sold a lot in the US.

In the gtr its capable of 1200 hp+, but in the base its not a verry spectecular engine.
Its not built like a race engine from the ground up like for example a ferrari or porsche engine.

Hence why it doesnt have dry sump lubrication. For a car like this its a shame that it doesnt have a dry sump.

Dry sump is superior to wet sump but of course more expensive/complex.

The change or measure oil level on a dry sump car is not something an amateur can do without any info.

Besides that the vq38dett is an absolute marvel.

Attachments

• 5a12379e277aa571691376d03cd6bcaa.jpg
    5a12379e277aa571691376d03cd6bcaa.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 18
With most race engines they also want to prevent the crank from splashing in the oil. This is elminiated with dry sump.
This. ^^^

When I head for track days and continue to *WHIP* the tail off my sister and her HEMI Jeep?
The SS gets an oil change of Mobil-1 0w-40, a fresh Fram Ultra spun on and left a half quart low on the stick. The idea is to keep oil sling and crank churn to a minimum. She's got a windage tray but if filled to factory level of 6 Qts, you can see the engine oil pressure gauge bounce until she's burped the entrained air out of the oil. Keeping her low and only track weekends in mind? A low-filled sump keeps oil pressure stable through the romp-on-roaring straights and through the burns in turns. *^.^*

It makes total sense. Look at the temperature versus dipstick position chart that @clinebarger posted on my AT dipstick thread:

The variation is pretty significant. For a high performance car making lots of power and lots of heat, it’s sensible that the oil will get very hot, and so they probably don’t want it to go too high.

Mobil1 10w40???

Would that be:

And no 5w40?

I wonder what the oil temps are..... please run your oil level lower because when highperformancedriving, we run out of control of the oil temps.

Interestingly - the Corvette C6 (non-dry sump) requires that you overfill the sump by 1qt for performance driving
I think that nissan and corvette have a different view on performance driving.

Where nissan probably expects a lot of high g force nurburgring circuit type of driving, corvette probably expects more like mountain roads and maybe some fast highway or light track work..

But i could be wrong on this.

When my cars sees more extreme conditions on like for example prolonged 120mph highway driving i also like to have the oil level to max.
However with fast highway drivinh there are no high g forces.

In my opinion: more oil= more cooling/ more heat capicity.

Engine masters proved that lowering the oil level did increase HP. I watched the video quite a while back. I think the difference was even more so without a windage tray in the oil pan.

I think that nissan and corvette have a different view on performance driving.

Where nissan probably expects a lot of high g force nurburgring circuit type of driving, corvette probably expects more like mountain roads and maybe some fast highway or light track work..

But i could be wrong on this.
Corvette says put in one extra quart for track use - same was said for the C5 Corvette (non-dry sump system). They don't want the oil pickup to starve with high G corners and high engine RPM. Don't need to be driving on the Nürburgring in order to have that happen.

Corvette says put in one extra quart for track use - same was said for the C5 Corvette (non-dry sump system). They don't want the oil pickup to starve with high G corners and high engine RPM. Don't need to be driving on the Nürburgring in order to have that happen.
Yeah that would also seem more sensible to me, but from what i can understand from the gtr thread is that the later gtr's where fitted with a different dipstick that lowered the max oil level so it was correct during normal driving and track use.

I have also never heard of a car before that recommends less oil when being driven hard.

It seems that more and more modern ''supercars'' do not use dry sump anymore. Also because wetsump is sufficient 99% of the time.
I am guessing that its probably mainly due to the costs, but also the method of changing/filling oil is not really understandable for somebody who is not familiar with it so it might also result in more engine failures due to miss use etc... Most people these days can not even fill up there wiperfluids without putting it in the powersteering etc... :ROFLMAO:

Also generaly speaking dry sump systems contain much more oil then wet sump systems. For example a lamborghini murcialago contains around 14 liters of oil, it probably takes a lot of time to warm up the entire 14 litres, also because its stored outside the engine and this might also be difficult for modern emission regulations etc...

I dont think it matters a lot on cars in this price range but this also raises the costs of maintenance intervals by a lot (14liters x 30 euros a liter=420 euros on oil alone, i think that in the ''lowerend'' sportscar segment this might matter a little more.

Back