2008 Honda Jazz/Fit 1.4 i-dsi CVT Fluid Level Check

Hello all,
I came across this very interesting Forum on all things related to motor oil which searching for the correct method of how to check the Cold and Hot CVT Fluid level of a 2008 Honda Jazz/Fit 1.4 i-dsi.

I recently had to top up the oil level after I detected a slow leak from the drain plug. The previous owner from whom I purchase the Honda from had supposedly change the CVT Fluid so I suspect he did not tighten the plug bolt properly.

After topping it up with new oil, but struggling to figure out if I might have over filled it. When I check with the engine hot after driving say 10 miles the oil level is showing correctly at slightly higher then A in the diagram attached.

However, when I let the engine cool down overnight the oil level should be between B and C but it appears to indicate well above the A marking on the dipstick as though it had been over filled.

Very strange behaviour. Don't quite know whether I should drain out some of the oil or leave it.

Any help on the above will be greatly apprecited.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• hondaCVTdipstick.jpg
    hondaCVTdipstick.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 62
Always check transmission fluid in strict accordance with whatever the owner's manual or the FSM states. Most of them state to check when the fluid is hot, not cold. Usually the "cold" marks are only there to ensure adequate fluid in the transmission prior to a hot check.

Reactions: hrv
Thank you for your note.

Yes, you are right the transmission fuild is always checked with the engine hot and the owner's manual also states the same.

The mistake I made is I added probably about 3/4 litre in one go instead of adding in small amounts and checking the level after driving the car for a few minutes each time.

I was somewhat concerned the gearbox could be overfilled and it could "negatively" affect the CVT system. As it is these Honda CVT's are not very reliable and I don't want to kill it prematurely. The car drives fine in town but I haven't taken it out on a high speed run on the highway as yet.

Back