Interesting potential twist in Mobil 1 saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strombony
Originally Posted By: RKBA
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I personally would find it hard to take anything a clerk at wal-mart told me as gospel..
smirk2.gif

No doubt.

I tend to be fairly skeptical of stories like that, it's why I asked if others had seen/heard the same.

What city is that Walmart in? I want to call them myself and speak to someone in the automotive department to see just what they heard. Heck, I'll call them...I have nothing better to do for the next hour.

Severn, MD

I googled it and found nothing. Could just be a Rumor floating around and nothing more. Time will tell.

I'll be waiting for Mobil to come out with an official recall (not wal mart hearsay) before I start loading up all my oil to return.

Originally Posted By: strombony
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I personally would find it hard to take anything a clerk at wal-mart told me as gospel..
smirk2.gif

No doubt.

I tend to be fairly skeptical of stories like that, it's why I asked if others had seen/heard the same.

What city is that Walmart in? I want to call them myself and speak to someone in the automotive department to see just what they heard. Heck, I'll call them...I have nothing better to do for the next hour.

Severn, MD

Just called...Now it may not have been the same W-mart you went to, it seems there are several w-marts in that city. They haven't heard a thing about any recall.

Originally Posted By: aaxb970
It could be a small recall for missing label, wrong markings anything really!
X2. Doesn't mean that the oil is bad. Didn't Warren have a huge recall a few years ago because they put 5w-30 stickers on 10w-30 bottles or something like that?

Can the vender in this case WM decide to pull the product themselves?, to possibly headoff any future hassels, because they sold the supposedly bad product. Not saying this is the case, but WM is big enough not to be bullied by XOM.

Wonder if they will recall all the brand new cars sitting in dealers factory filled with mobil 1 .... and the ones they sold...and the ones who went to a Mobil 1 lube express....on and on

mobil is probably getting some Mega advanced synthetics decals printed for there bottles, after all it has worked so well for edge's advanced synthetic decals.....
LOL.gif

I think it could be true that ExxonMobil is quietly trying to recall the Mobil 1 that hasn't been unwrapped and put on the shelves. Emphasis on the "could". The lady working at Walmart admitting what her boss told her was probably a slip of the tongue on her part. Think about this, it would be a dumb and unsmart business move for Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. or any seller of Mobil 1 to admit to the product being not to par. The potential in loss sales could be big. So, it would be in their best interests to deny, if asked directly, if there was a problem. It would be in Exxonmobil's best interest to keep it as quiet as possible, until the newly reformulated, but in the same original packaging, hits the shelves. Do you think ExxonMobil wants customers to know that their supposedly high quality lineup of oils has became, over the last couple of years been cheapened, and now is subpar? Their reputation would be plunged to the same level as "Pennzoil contains wax and causes sludge"
I'm not a Mobil hater. I'm just a person who wants to buy good oil and prolong his vehicles' useful life. For all we know, this could all be rumors and speculation, and Mobil 1 still protects just fine. However, I have tried their oil and gear lube and decided I didn't like them. To each his own. It also bothers me that customers are paying a premium price for a product that might not be up to par.

Last edited:
I think she could just plain old be mistaken. It is strange that every single bottle has been unavailable for sale and the shelves are wiped clean. The product is however clearly visible as having been hastily palletized in the back area.

It would have taken far more time than I was willing to give up at that store to speak to someone in charge to verify the veracity of the recall claim.

The timing of this observation and statement is great fodder for the conspiracy theorists among us.

I still have a bit of faith in the 0W40 and 10W30/40 HM Mobil 1 formulas myself.

Originally Posted By: njohnson
So, it would be in their best interests to deny, if asked directly, if there was a problem. It would be in Exxonmobil's best interest to keep it as quiet as possible, until the newly reformulated, but in the same original packaging, hits the shelves.

Nice, this thread turns into a conspiracy theory. A classic BITOG hallmark!
35.gif

Wal-Mart Store #2000
5400 N. Croatan Hwy/Suite 100
Kitty Hawk, NC 27949
(252) 261-6011 5.72 miles

2.Wal-Mart Supercenter Store #1527
101 Tanglewood Pkwy
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
(252) 338-336

full shelves of mobil 1 here, think we are off base here doubtful of recall and secret recall even more doubtful. Things like recalls have a tendency to become exposed to the press easily, and the press would love to jump on this...of course mobil could have bought the press
crackmeup2.gif

All they have to do is twist off the caps and add some SLOB. Maybe some BitOGers will volenteer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back