Interesting info at Honda dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped by my local dealer to have them take a look at a trim piece. Anyway, while talking to the service advisor, there was a one pager. Basically said they suggest 0w20 for fuel efficiency and ultimate protection, but...."you may use 5w20 without any warranty repercussions." I like the honesty.

The owner's manual in my 2014 Altima insists on 0w-20 motor oil. If you notice footnote number 7 next to that verbiage, then actually read the footnote, it basically says an API-SN 5w-30 oil is an acceptable substitute and will still keep the warranty in effect.

Same with honda. I'll use 0w20, as any pick is great. Good to know the alternatives are accepted.

Honda's recommendation is the other way around for their older vehicles as well. In my girlfriend's 2001 Civic LX, it originally called for 5W-20. However, they have since stated that 0W-20 is also "acceptable".

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Honda's recommendation is the other way around for their older vehicles as well. In my girlfriend's 2001 Civic LX, it originally called for 5W-20. However, they have since stated that 0W-20 is also "acceptable".

Yep. Originally my 2006 Accord 2.4 spec'd "premium detergent 5w20 with the API starburst symbol. They has since revised that and now 0w20 is the recommended fill with 5w20 being optional.

Using synthetic oil in either viscosity and changing the oil on a realistic schedule with reasonable driving habits in a good weather environment means the engine will probably outlast the rest of the car and certainly outlast your interest in continued ownership.

My Civic made it to 420K before an overhaul and then the only parts that wore out were the oil control rings. Compression was even withing about 8 to 10 psi highest to lowest and within new car specs. Because of visible smoke it failed California smog even though the test values were all good. Everything else was good for more miles. I used 5w-30 and then 0w-30 synthetic oil.
The now overhauled engine is running great and does not burn a drop of oil between changes. Leading up to the overhaul it was really burning the oil and I did go up in viscosity during that last year but that's all gone now.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I saw a one-pager as well when I stopped in to get the "Blinking Drive Indicator" issues checked/get some plastic engine cover fasteners--the form stated that 0w-20 was acceptable for Pilots as far back as '09--which is what my wife's car is. I mentioned it to the parts guy as he was ringing me up and he was like, "You wanna stick with 5w-20 unless you have a 2011 Pilot or later"--the engine clearances were adjusted to be a little tighter and it's a little too thin for the models before '11.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
The owner's manual in my 2014 Altima insists on 0w-20 motor oil. If you notice footnote number 7 next to that verbiage, then actually read the footnote, it basically says an API-SN 5w-30 oil is an acceptable substitute and will still keep the warranty in effect.

Manual for my '13 Sentra is exactly the same.

And many of the exact same Honda engines spec 5-30 elsewhere all around the globe, except the CAFE burdened US. Maybe one day people will realize this, LOL.

Originally Posted By: CDot
I saw a one-pager as well when I stopped in to get the "Blinking Drive Indicator" issues checked/get some plastic engine cover fasteners--the form stated that 0w-20 was acceptable for Pilots as far back as '09--which is what my wife's car is. I mentioned it to the parts guy as he was ringing me up and he was like, "You wanna stick with 5w-20 unless you have a 2011 Pilot or later"--the engine clearances were adjusted to be a little tighter and it's a little too thin for the models before '11.

Your dealer is mistaken on that. Besides the fact that 0W-20 and 5W-20 have the same operational viscosity and HT/HS viscosity, 0W-20 is listed as either recommended or acceptable for all model years of Pilot. Here's Honda's Engine Oil Application Guide:

89e763240a0d028a0074f160a54d6cbc.jpg

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
And many of the exact same Honda engines spec 5-30 elsewhere all around the globe, except the CAFE burdened US. Maybe one day people will realize this, LOL.

Haahaa... maybe one day the rest of the world will know that these vehicles can go just as far on a spec'd 20 as they did on a 30, and that either is fine.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Stopped by my local dealer to have them take a look at a trim piece. Anyway, while talking to the service advisor, there was a one pager. Basically said they suggest 0w20 for fuel efficiency and ultimate protection, but...."you may use 5w20 without any warranty repercussions." I like the honesty.

That's significant, or at least noteworthy. With all of their new models on 0W-20 now, the OLMs are presumably calibrated to a higher quality of oil (0W-20s being marketed as a synthetic or a synthetic blend). Perhaps not, though...if Honda is saying that you can run any 5W-20 for the same duration.

I say this is noteworthy because Toyota seems to have taken the position that their OCIs are good for 10,000 miles if using 0W-20 (a syn or syn blend only), and 5,000 miles if using either 5W-20 or 5W-30, which could be a conventional.

It's nice to have a 5W-20 dino option for those of us who like shorter OCI's and more reasonable maintenance costs.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
It's nice to have a 5W-20 dino option for those of us who like shorter OCI's and more reasonable maintenance costs.

+1

It's also nice to have the option to switch over to an 0W-20 for the coming winter even though winters here in New Jersey are for the most part pretty moderate.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Haahaa... maybe one day the rest of the world will know that these vehicles can go just as far on a spec'd 20 as they did on a 30, and that either is fine.

I was a thicker is better guy all my life til I found bitog and after reading all the posts,and a lot of googling I learned something.
I learned that engines using a 20 grade oil here last/stay on the road, just as long,and in many cases longer in North America than on any other continent.
And for many different reasons. Some countries impose large taxes on older vehicles and it's cheaper to buy new vs keeping an older model.
In some countries there are high vehicle maintenance standards that keep many vehicles from "roadworthy" status.
In North America we tend to have easier/lax automobile maintenance laws and some states and provinces don't require any yearly inspections.
Some require no inspection prior to operating a vehicle at all,so here we can see a brand new vehicle being followed by a flintstone car.
So truth be known,CAFE or no CAFE our vehicles aren't getting penalized with shorter lifespan,in fact when compared to the rest of the world it seems the contrary is true,so why not use a 20 grade.
I don't feel one size fits all in all circumstances though and still believe that how a vehicle is operated and ambient temps are an important consideration as well.
Honestly I don't really care about whether thick or thin makes an engine last longer because the engine is the least of my concerns when I consider vehicle maintenance.
There's lots of great running engines at the auto wrecker with over 300k on the odo,it's not the engines that doom a car to the crusher.
Oem's have torture tested the recommended lubricants in their equipment. They know what it needs.
Oem's will specify what's easy to acquire in the respective markets their vehicles are sold in.
Ever tried to get a 20 grade in Australia or New Zealand?
Engines will run on a range of lubricant viscosities,but only 1 can be optimal.

I just never get how that logic translates into the rest of the world being better, or "more correct". Can you elaborate on how we (here in the CAFE burdened US) are at a disadvantage because heavier weight oils are specified elsewhere?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
I just never get how that logic translates into the rest of the world being better, or "more correct". Can you elaborate on how we (here in the CAFE burdened US) are at a disadvantage because heavier weight oils are specified elsewhere?

Why would you ask me to defend the global choice of weights over the exception of the US? Anyone who thinks can easily make the connection that thinner and thinner oils in the US is ultimately borne of CAFE, not engine longevity. What does caFE stand for? (Hint - look at the last two letters in the acronym).

Can you elaborate on the logic that the global standard must be justified vs. CAFE? Instead of the other way around? The tail does not wag the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back