Interesting experience with MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Clevy
There's a growing fan club for MoS2 that's for sure!

And with great power comes great responsibility..........
Has mos2 and its greatness now got a target on its back as all the great additives do?
We shall see........
Hehehe

What do you think Buddy? LOL

We both know it has already begun.

Too funny. Hehehe

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
... The tank returned 28.9 MPG, above the 27.2 to 28.2 MPG range that I had gotten the past several. ...
An aggressive drive on twisty roads with the engine speeds mostly between 2500 and 5000 RPMs returned over 31 MPG, with large throttle openings on corner exits and acceleration all the way to the braking point for the next corner.
I am sorry but something does not compute. No vehicle is going to give you better gas mileage by aggressively driving.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
No vehicle is going to give you better gas mileage by aggressively driving.

It could, if low speeds. These are not tightly controlled experiments by far, LOL!

Originally Posted By: Vikas
... The tank returned 28.9 MPG, above the 27.2 to 28.2 MPG range that I had gotten the past several. ...
An aggressive drive on twisty roads with the engine speeds mostly between 2500 and 5000 RPMs returned over 31 MPG, with large throttle openings on corner exits and acceleration all the way to the braking point for the next corner.
I am sorry but something does not compute. No vehicle is going to give you better gas mileage by aggressively driving.

The 27.2 to 28.2 MPG is in mixed commuting during rush hour traffic, with stop lights and traffic. The aggressive drive was on a mostly empty country road where I rarely came to a stop, and speeds ranged between 25-55 MPH. I went on a similar drive this January and got between 31 and 33 MPG but there were significant differences. First, it was around freezing at that time so I ever engaged the AC compressor. Second, I had 14" wheels with 185 all-season tires versus the 15" wheels and 195 summer tires I am now running. Third, I had a hardtop installed at that time and I am running a fabric covered roof or running as a convertible today, both of which I would guess hurt aerodynamics significantly. I also used that trip to start cleaning out the engine, so I was running Mobil 1 5W-30 with about a 15% fill of MMO, probably thinning the oil down to an effective 0W-20. Too many variables to make any real comparison, especially the wheels which are now 4-5 pounds heavier each and noticeably affect acceleration since the motor only puts about 90 HP to the ground.

Just wanted to post some more observations. I've been driving a lot the past few days, and have had to run it hard up to near redline a couple of times. I notice today that the engine is now smoother in the 3000-4000 RPM range, and that gritty harshness that was there before is greatly reduced. It is still present above 4000 RPMs though. I haven't driven other Miata to know what is typical, though.

I've also noticed that engine braking is reduced. There were a couple of times today when letting off the gas that I ran up on the bumper of the vehicles in front of me in a way that was unexpected. Also, there's a very slight downhill to my house and I usually will coast, in 4th gear, down that grade as it maintains exactly the 25 MPH speed limit for our neighborhood. Today for the first time ever, the speed gradually increased over the three blocks of coasting to 27-28 MPH.

Tomorrow, I have to do a lot of driving and there are major freeway closures, so I'll be filling up in the morning. This tank looks to be especially good on fuel economy as I'm not even to the halfway point on the fuel gauge but I've logged the amount of miles that would normally take me to half tank.

Still no downsides to putting in the MoS2 that I can see. It has all been positive so far.

About another 90 miles of driving. The fill-up in the morning netted 29.7 MPG, which is about as good as I've gotten since swapping wheels. There's no difference in the engine performance.

However, I did check the oil and while there is no measurable consumption, the grey color is significantly reduced. So much so, and with only a 1.8 liter motor, that I find it hard to imagine so much MoS2 would have "plated".

Has anyone opened up an oil filter to ensure that it doesn't plug the element, or that it hasn't aggregated in the oil pan?

Has anyone opened up an oil filter to ensure that it doesn't plug the element, or that it hasn't aggregated in the oil pan?

I have opened multiple filters with full doses of MoS2 and you'd have to be told which ones they were compared to others that were run without it, you'd never know by looking.

As far as sitting in the pan I guess it's possible but I never noticed anything when draining the oil, that and when using MoS2 my oil starts gray and just gets darker. Continued use yields constantly darker oil sooner after the oil change than before, at least in my Jeep it does. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I have opened multiple filters with full doses of MoS2 and you'd have to be told which ones they were compared to others that were run without it, you'd never know by looking.

As far as sitting in the pan I guess it's possible but I never noticed anything when draining the oil, that and when using MoS2 my oil starts gray and just gets darker. Continued use yields constantly darker oil sooner after the oil change than before, at least in my Jeep it does. YMMV.

That's reassuring about the oil filter. The color change is significant enough that I can't believe I'm imagining this. And it's that the oil has lost the grey color but not yet turned the darker brown color from age and use.

I'll report back after another week of driving. Thanks.

Filled up again today. 220 miles, 29.4 MPG, and this would have typically been a low fuel economy tank, likely in the low 27's. Spent quite a bit of time crusing at 75+ MPH with the convertible top down (aerodynamics of a parachute, basically) plus a lot of time stuck in traffic with the air conditioning on. Also to reduce a bit of impact harshness, I've reduced tire pressures by 1 PSI all around, which would increase rolling resistance somewhat.

No discernable oil consumption. The engine remains smooth and responsive. No changes to the gauges that would indicate any worry, I am really impressed, and am about to try this on a couple of other vehicles I own.

Can I say I told you so yet.
I've been using this stuff for years. I've never seen sludge nor any indication of a plugged filter. The particle size is too small to be trapped by the filter. Only a by-pass system or centri can filter out the uber small particles.
And I think you've peaked. You are as plated as you are gonna be.
To maintain these gains only half doses are required at your next oil change.
Another convert.
And if you like mos2 then you need to read up on its daddy cera-tec. It works in a similar fashion however it uses ceramic nano particles to plate the contact points. It leaves a layer that's so hard you need a belt sander to remove it. Eliminates metal on metal contact for 30000 miles before re-treatment is required.
Look it up. Its the god of all anti-wear additives.
I'm in the process of stockpiling presently because after my mos2 trials I want to see if ceratec can improve on my consumption figures.
CERA-TEC. MOS2 is only the beginning.............

And if you like mos2 then you need to read up on its daddy cera-tec. It works in a similar fashion however it uses ceramic nano particles to plate the contact points. It leaves a layer that's so hard you need a belt sander to remove it. Eliminates metal on metal contact for 30000 miles before re-treatment is required.
I'm in the process of stockpiling presently because after my mos2 trials I want to see if ceratec can improve on my consumption figures.

Based on info from here at BITOG I bought both Ceratec and MOS2. Ceratec went in the Sequoia 1500 miles ago. I just did a trip to Hershey and averaged 18.9mpg out of the 4.7L V8. Best I ever got was when new and I was breaking it in at almost 19mpg but that was 10 years and 100k ago. Normal trips I can get low 17's to 18 (around town 10 is good).

I any event on the trip meter for over an hour driving at 70-ish mph it was showing avg 20.5 mpg. It dropped down when I sat at 2 accidents on the Cross Bronx Expressway/GWB combo. I also stopped at store for food and kids watched TV with truck idling for 20 minutes. I can't wait to do oil change on the Sonata and add the Ceratec.

Clevy,
Recommendations? I plan to do the MOS2 1/2 bottle for future oil changes to help maintain the coating and keep improvements. After 30K (which is 4 years in Sequoia and maybe 2.5 in Sonata) should I do Ceratec again or just stick with MOS2? Sequoia is 6.5qt oil, Sonata is like 4.7qt (but I normally do 5 since it's starting to use some)

I've been using this stuff for years. I've never seen sludge nor any indication of a plugged filter. The particle size is too small to be trapped by the filter. Only a by-pass system or centri can filter out the uber small particles.
Another convert.

I'd gladly have you say you told me so. I feel like I've been pretty lucky. MMO cleared up a problem with gummy oil control rings, and hopefully the Pennzoil will continue to keep them functioning well. Then, the MoS2 has really smoothed out the motor, all in a 148k, small, high-revving motor.

I'll read up on the Ceratec. It definitely seems worth a try. It wasn't on the shelf at the Napa whereas the MoS2 was, so I'll probably have to order it. But my question would be if adding it now, after using MoS2, makes the plating of the ceramic particles more difficult. If the ceramic plates on top of the MoS2 and the MoS2 wears off, won't it take the ceramic particles with it? Should I run without MoS2 for several thousand miles to wear down the MoS2 that has plated?

It started out because I had a question about why MMO seemed to make the engine so much quieter, even seemingly more so than changing out for a fresh fill of a full synthetic.

That drifted into "I was offered some MoS2 - should I try it" and off it went. . .

Another convert.

I'd gladly have you say you told me so. I feel like I've been pretty lucky. MMO cleared up a problem with gummy oil control rings, and hopefully the Pennzoil will continue to keep them functioning well. Then, the MoS2 has really smoothed out the motor, all in a 148k, small, high-revving motor.

I'll read up on the Ceratec. It definitely seems worth a try. It wasn't on the shelf at the Napa whereas the MoS2 was, so I'll probably have to order it. But my question would be if adding it now, after using MoS2, makes the plating of the ceramic particles more difficult. If the ceramic plates on top of the MoS2 and the MoS2 wears off, won't it take the ceramic particles with it? Should I run without MoS2 for several thousand miles to wear down the MoS2 that has plated?

I really can't say how that would work.
You might have to run an interval of just oil,then use cera-tec,or forget I said anything and just stick with mos2. Your at the point now where you only need half doses to maintain the fuel economy benefits,and its cheap and easy enough to find that there may be no point in even going the cera-tec route.
Cera-tec is tough to find although a can lasts 30000 miles so that gives lots of time to find more I guess.
Dunno. If you got a good thing going why mess with it.

That drifted into "I was offered some MoS2 - should I try it" and off it went. . .

It happens.

As far as Ceratec after MoS2, I'd stick with MoS2. I don't think it will work its magic with the residual moly hanging around, and it hangs around for a long time.

They have a pretty good tech dept, and they get right back to you if you ask a question. I would ask them and let us know what you find out if you decide to ask.

It happens.

As far as Ceratec after MoS2, I'd stick with MoS2. I don't think it will work its magic with the residual moly hanging around, and it hangs around for a long time.

They have a pretty good tech dept, and they get right back to you if you ask a question. I would ask them and let us know what you find out if you decide to ask.

I'm with DP here. Mos2 is already showing a benefit. Why mess with a good thing. Especially a more difficult to find,more expensive product that may gain you nothing.
If it ain't broke.....

Agree. I was pretty much ignoring this topic as I have decided not to get in to MMO fights but I do use LM MOS2 product and I like it. I just did not realize that we were getting updates after using MOS2.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll hold off on the Cera-tec for now, since it isn't stocked normally at the Napa whereas the MoS2 is, and frankly I'm not sure how much additional benefit I could really expect to get. The improvement so far is already beyond what I could believe, and if it just forever stayed as it was, I'd be one happy camper.

I am working on an OCI of probably 5000 miles, and will do half-dose at that time. This oil will take me well into the winter, and it'll probably be January or February before it's ready to be changed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back