Interesting claim by Amsoil

I'm not trying to stir up an argument here, but this caught my attention. This is not the first time I've read something like this.

"When a competitor’s oil easily passes an industry-standard test, they often reformulate to reduce cost and performance to where it barely passes the test."
Liqui Moly: MADE IN GERMANY! LOOK, PEOPLE, MADE IN GERMANY!!!!

Amsoil: Hold my beer.

Freshman Marketing 101 .... how to make choices:
- pick a market price and modify the product to fit that level (price is constant; product is variable)
- pick a product level and adjust the price to fit (price is variable; product is constant)
Neither is right or wrong; it's a result of choices any company makes to attempt to succeed and gain market share.

Are we really that blind in a rudimentary sense that we cannot see the forest for the trees?

7l0rty.jpg

I'm not trying to stir up an argument here, but this caught my attention. This is not the first time I've read something like this.

"When a competitor’s oil easily passes an industry-standard test, they often reformulate to reduce cost and performance to where it barely passes the test."

I think all major brands have cheapened their products to increase profit.
Mobil 1 used to have PAO and Esters, now it appears they are just regular group III full synthetic oils, so they can sell the oil at the PAO/Ester price, but blend the oil at the Group III price, and make more profit.

That's why I believe there is no benefit to using name brand oils anymore. They've all been cheapened.
I prefer to use the lowest priced full synthetic oil I can find.

I believe that Group III Full Synthetic is all you need for extreme heat situations, and cold weather flow, so that their cheapening is justified. But I wish their prices would have come down with that cheapening, but of course they didn't, as they pad their profits instead.

Last edited:
It's part of formulation in most any industry. If you are ,say, a formulating chemist, you won't go to the boss with something that knocks it out of the park and cost $100/qt. Products need to be within a given set of parameters and cost IS a parameter.
This is the same idea I say about oil filters here. People want the most extreme, best of the best with every aspect of a filter, then want to pay $9 for it. Not gonna happen..... Then they say that company "X" cheaped out on a filter design because they used "fill-in-the-blank-about-something-they-think-is-inferior".

Why doesn't everyone here drive a Bugatti Veryons or McLarens and so on ? Hehe, because they settle for less !

A specification and product data sheet is technically good enough, but I like when companies like HPL/Amsoil give you a bit more information. Consumers just don't have access to all that kind of information.

Why doesn't everyone here drive a Bugatti Veryons or McLarens and so on ? Hehe, because they settle for less !
I’d daily a Koenigsegg Gemera (need those seats for the kids y’know) but I’m poor 😭

I’d still put HPL Supercar in it though

Mobil 1 used to have PAO and Esters, now it appears they are just regular group III full synthetic oils, so they can sell the oil at the PAO/Ester price, but blend the oil at the Group III price, and make more profit.

Cheapened in what way? I'll take a group 3 SP rated oil over a group 4 SL one any day. If they perform better with less expensive base stocks, why fret?

That's why I believe there is no benefit to using name brand oils anymore. They've all been cheapened.
I prefer to use the lowest priced full synthetic oil I can find.

I believe that Group III Full Synthetic is all you need for extreme heat situations, and cold weather flow, so that their cheapening is justified. But I wish their prices would have come down with that cheapening, but of course they didn't, as they pad their profits instead.
Which motor oils with Group IV & V are available for the price of Mobil 1 products at Walmart?

How many oil-related engine failures occur when the someone uses Supertech or Valvoline or Quaker State (or many other common oils) and changes it on a reasonable interval ? The number must be huge, I mean, 'cause all of those manufacturers are making oils that just barely go over the minimum requirements. 🙄

Back