Integra Coolant Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

My GF has a 94 integra with 167k. Like every other honda product, the radiator failed at one point and had to be replaced.

The car has had 'green' coolant in it for some time, likely because before she knew me, she used a local garage that did good work, but used green coolant in a Honda product
shocked.gif

Anyway, she has had the car serviced at the dealer a few times over the last two years, and they did do a coolant flush. All the same, the car still has a green coolant in it. So, I have to ask:
-Is Honda/Acura coolant green (though it is no silicate)?
-If the dealer used standard green because that was in it when they got it, what ought my course of action be as a replacement (note I dont have the facilities or time to do a full complete flush at this point, its just intermidiate PM, as she will be going on a rotation for a while and needs the car daily, in a varied sort of traffic and weather patterns).
-What coolant should I shoose? Perhaps prestone that is compatible with all makes and antifreeze colors?

Is there anyplace that sells regular green anymore? Even wal-mart supertech is "all models and colors' stuff these days, as is standard yellow bottle prestone.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JMH

Honda long life coolant is dyed green.
Prestone extended life that's compatible with all makes is a DEX-COOL clone (OAT, no silicates, no phosphates). Prestone supplies this same syrup, dyed green, to WalMart as SuperTech extended life. I'm using that for the past year in my Sonata V6 with no problems whatsoever. If you're uncomfortable with the DEX-COOL notion, and don't want to buy the pricey Honda antifreeze, you might consider Zerex G-05. It's a hybrid - reduced levels of silicates and organic acid technology at a reasonable price. The same technology is currently used in Chyrysler, Ford, and Mercedes Benz vehicles (and has been in use by MB for over a decade). It's apparently a good fit in just about anything.

Private label antifreezes such as Pep Boys and Autozone are apparently still old full silicate green snot of death technology. (The "big three" Japanese automakers are not fond of full silicate antifreezes out of fear of waterpump seal damage if the high level silicates fall out of solution.)

thanks! If the honda stuff is dyed green - thats what they charfged her for so Ill run on the assumption that thats what is in there and get the real stuff.

Unsure of what makes honda fluid honda fluid, compared to say a dex-cool clone as you mention.

MB fluid is good stuff, btw. Its been in my 83 turbo since new, and replaced with citric acid flushed as prescribed. The hoses and radiator are still original, after so many years and 228k!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
...Unsure of what makes honda fluid honda fluid, compared to say a dex-cool clone as you mention...

DEX-COOL: Ethylene Glycol, Buffers, Potassium 2-Ethyl Hexanoate, Water, and Marker Dye (The Prestone gray jug DEX-COOL, Prestone yellow jug "All Makes" extended life (reportedly dyed yellow by some posters using it) and Prestone-made private label extended life DEX-COOL clones (SuperTech's is dyed green, dunno about Advance Auto's) substitute Sodium 2-Ethyl Hexanoate and Sodium Neodecanoate for Potassium 2-Ethyl Hexanoate - anyone's guess whether there's actually any functional difference)

Honda, Nissan, and Toyota: Ethylene Glycol, Buffers, Sodium Benzoate, Phosphates (as co-anticorrosion protection for aluminum), Water, and various Marker Dyes. Ironically MB, and other Euro-automakers want NO phosphate in coolants, but the Japanese INSIST on its presence.

Regardless whether Honda's current antifreeze is green, blue-green or blue*, dye marker color is NO specific indicator of type any longer. Chrysler's version of G-05 is dyed orange just as is any brand of GM-licensed DEX-COOL.

*A lot can depend on any given individual's particular color perception capability as well as the lighting under which a sample is viewed.

[ October 09, 2005, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back