Insurance company shenanigans

Why pay a middleman? I can get quotes from 7-8 major insurance companies (based on history I have a good idea who'll be competitive) in the span of < 30 minutes.

Erie. They are not the cheapest but in 35+ years I have never had one single complaint. Don't buy insurance on the lowest price policy. Go for the lowest cost.

Just had my 4Runner in today for an estimate for some body work. Painter said Geico would nickel and dime him to death. Erie was the best. I'll not bore you with
his stories.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Insurance companies are just basically white collar criminals.

Insurance is one of the more highly regulated businesses in this country, each and every state has laws and regulations on the books impacting policies sold with federal oversight of the bigger (too big to fail) insurance companies. If insurers are committing crimes, the governments all have to be asleep at the switch.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Why pay a middleman? I can get quotes from 7-8 major insurance companies (based on history I have a good idea who'll be competitive) in the span of < 30 minutes.

My broker gets me a better deal with Progressive Agent Policy than I could have gotten from going to Progressive.com myself.

I checked.

They also have access to more discounts than I can apply.

Progressive started calling me "Platinum" and subtly raising my rates so they had to go.

Yeah, everybody gets Platinum if they have been continuously insured by ANY company for the previous 5 years.

I enrolled in their Snapshot program. No big deal, I had it with Allstate for years. You plug the device into the OBD2 port and drive normally. It's way too sensitive to sudden braking, which dings you, but otherwise pretty good. Anyway, I got an "A" rating and earned an $85.00 discount on renewal. UNFORTUNATELY, when you first enroll, you get a "New Customer Discount" (spelled teaser rate, which they deny) and upon renewal, that goes away, effectively cancelling out the Snapshot discount.

Talked with several reps from the company, all with varying stories as to whether the discount continues after the first renewal. Manager finally assured me that it did, even though the device is sent back after the first renewal. It remains to be seen what will happen to my rates upon renewal.

No accidents in 50 years of driving.

I will happily pay $85.00 more not to be spied on.

Thank you..........................

Just about all insurance companies offer a first time discount that usually goes away 12 months later.

I will happily pay $85.00 more not to be spied on.

Thank you..........................

Just about all insurance companies offer a first time discount that usually goes away 12 months later.

Yeah there's no way I'm driving around with one of those spying devices. They'd drop me in a week!

Originally Posted by JohnG
I have now started dealing with Progressive. By far the shadiest I have found yet! But at this point, they are saving me about $400 every 6 months so I'll stay with them for a while at least.

I've heard decent things about Progressive when they are your insurance carrier. It's the other person that they screw over (when the Progressive insured person is at fault).
I have Progressive and they are wonderful for me as insured and inexpensive.

Back