Enterprise rental sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rent from them often (just booked one) - and I see the car wash guy come and go taking them to the quick lube - and the little 3k sticker is on the glass
(no idea what they do about it, but it shows next change due in 3k)

Our 2018 van was a rental, had about 42,000 or 46,000 miles on it when we bought it. I can't remember right now lol... doesn't bother me, if they drove it harder than I do, I give them props.

Pretty sure the other is a repo, also doesn't bother me.

+1
"My car was a rental, doesn't bother me, it just means it was driven like I would have driven it anyways, and still do.".

Yes.

Have bought 2 from Hertz. 85 Celica, 2016 Optima. Hoping the Kia is every bit as reliable as the Celica was. And already is as much fun.
Base Optima is a hoot, would love to spend some time in a Stinger.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I work for Enterprise and it is true we cannot rent if it needs an oil change. It lets us know on the computer and corporate gets on our case about it if we dont handle it. The branches actually get rated on their oil change score in a company email that all branches can see and of course your branch always wants to beat the other branches. Yes the rentals get driven hard but they are always maintained and honestly i think driving them hard does them good because they always seem to run great. Plus if the car has any defects or issues i would assume they would probably show up sooner rather than later.

How often do the oil changes get done? Do they pay for the specified oil or does everyone get conventional?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I couldn't rent an enterprise rental even if I wanted. It seems you need to give them a couple days notice to rent one in my area.

Who doesn't? Any rental car establishment needs a reservation in advance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nick1994
My car was a rental, doesn't bother me, it just means it was driven like I would have driven it anyways, and still do.

One of the first cars I bought was a rental. Didn't bother me at the time and there was nothing major wrong with it. Drove it for several years and it just required the usual normal maintenance. Nothing really blew up, ran fine. I wouldn't do it again though because back then I didn't care if it was just basic transportation. Nowadays they're just basic models, you never really find rentals that are loaded so I'd rather buy something that has more options these days. But if I found one, I'd probably do it again.

The only official documented (carfax) oil change on my van that came from Hertz, was done by Valvoline instant oil change at ~16700mi. It was just shy of a year old with 32K miles on it when we bought it in 2017 from a Nissan dealership that had done an OC on it before we bought it. It could have only had 2 oil changes by the time I bought it. We're approaching 90K trouble free miles on it now.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
I'm thinking there is an extra zero to that OCI for their system to block the vehicle from being rented. 26000 miles sounds like a more reasonable gate.

A lot of those are sold off by the time they accumulate that mileage. Like the rest of you, I seriously doubt they're doing 2600 mile oil changes

My dad and my brother both bought Tahoes from Enterprise. My brother's already had like 75,000 miles on it so it was cheap but he was buying it as a work truck so it was fine. He still has it. has well over 200,000 miles on it now.

My dad's was almost new when he got it from them. Sparkly black with a black leather interior. If you didn't look at the odometer you'd be hard pressed to tell it wasn't brand new. I'm not sure why they sold it.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Rentals have seen more butts than a dive bar ashtray. Some people beat on them, especially the lower end models and the sports cars. Lincolns and Caddys, not as much. Usually they are mid-level equipped so don't expect to find a fully loaded version if that is what you want.

I have seen some pretty loaded rentals. Off the top of my head, a Chrysler 200 Limited, a Camry SE that seemed to have every option except the V6, and a Focus Titanium.

Originally Posted by Railrust
I have heard about the oil change intervals with rental cars and how frequently they perform them, which I think is great, but would I buy one? No, absolutely not.

I have debated with myself about it in the past...to buy/not to buy. Someone gave me very good advice when I said that I always drive rental cars easily and take car of them. He said, well you might drive them carefully, keep in mind if ten people rent that car, eight of them beat the ever living snot out of it. And I thought...well he's right.

Well, actually, no...I suspect his source for that "fact" was chugging prune juice, squatting, and bearing down mightily.

My sons mother has a 2003 Buick Century that I found and she bought in February of 2004. She still drives it every day with 200,000 miles on it now. The rocker panel's are rusted off and the intake gaskets had to be done around 85,000 miles. Been a very good car. It was a rental.

I once rented from Enterprise, it was a Crown Victoria or whatever brand that Ford's other branding put on the same platform (just like the cops drove at the time, so drivers around me seemed to behave a little bit like they were intimidated) in the Bay Area. They had a little button somewhere under the dash that you could press to change between metric and Imperial readings for the speedometer and odometer. Being the proud Canadian I am, I 'converted' the car to metric.

Ended up getting a call a few weeks later from someone with them wondering how I was able to put on 13,000mi in the 4-5 days that I was in possession....

:lol:

If your looking for a preowned Vehicle, rentals from the big companies are the way to go.

Its better then private sales most times and beats used car lots and new car dealers by a WIDE margin.
Most people dont realise the vast majority of any resale vehicles from dealers and places like carmax are rentals/lease vehicles sold at higher markups.

Best part is, never the same driver driving the car, almost all people do not beat on rental cars anymore then a private owner would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
If your looking for a preowned Vehicle, rentals from the big companies are the way to go.

Its better then private sales most times and beats used car lots and new car dealers by a WIDE margin.
Most people dont realise the vast majority of any resale vehicles from dealers and places like carmax are rentals/lease vehicles sold at higher markups.

Best part is, never the same driver driving the car, almost all people do not beat on rental cars anymore then a private owner would.

Since the early 80's bought 8 rental cars [mostly 5.0 and 4,.6 Panthers] plus family members bought several Panthers,Impalas,Tahoes and Suburbans.. All were trouble free and made it easily over 200K miles without any major issues. According to service records they were all serviced around 5K miles and we also kept the service interval at 5K miles after we got them.

After we got them we switched them all over to Mobil 1.

Just a data point: last week I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee from Alamo at FLL airport. Odometer showed 10,8xx miles, OLM indicated 89%, oil on the dipstick was nice light amber color.

And I'm not sure if people realize it, but regular one owner cars can have owners beat on their cars too. They just don't know it. I don't care that much about my car, it's there to be used and enjoyed. If it breaks, I'll fix it. I'm not gentle with it, it's meant to be driven and I drive it. I end up going through brakes every two or three years. Not sure if that's because I'm hard on it or just because the city has lots of stop and go driving, some other people like to brag how theirs are good for 100k. On my 3rd set of pads in about 50k. Has decent handling, ask me how I know....

Originally Posted by Wolf359

And I'm not sure if people realize it, but regular one owner cars can have owners beat on their cars too. They just don't know it. I don't care that much about my car, it's there to be used and enjoyed. If it breaks, I'll fix it. I'm not gentle with it, it's meant to be driven and I drive it. I end up going through brakes every two or three years. Not sure if that's because I'm hard on it or just because the city has lots of stop and go driving, some other people like to brag how theirs are good for 100k. On my 3rd set of pads in about 50k. Has decent handling, ask me how I know....

Yes, exactly.
AS far as your brakes, wow! I assume you are in a lot of stop and go traffic. I remember those days, spent most all my life up in NY until 10+ years ago.
Here in SC, interstate driving, TRUE Story, and I know this will be VERY hard to believe so I dont blame you.
It is not uncommon to put 75,000+ miles on a set of brakes. Dont ask me how, but, now even on my own cars we are over the 70,000 mile mark.
Since its easy for me to change brakes and I rather do the pads sooner rather then later. I am thinking sometime in next 6 months or so I will swap out the pads on my wifes still OEM pads in her 2012 Mazda with around 72,000 miles on it.

I changed the pads ONCE on my 08 Dodge Durango, so long ago I forget but keep a log in my glove compartment. Truck now has 141,000 miles on it.

On Long Island, NY I would be afraid to go past 30-40,000 miles on a set of pads.

Last edited:

I can confirm that - we bought a lot of ex-Hertz or Avis cars from the auction back in my dealership days for "no credit needed" customers. My parent's van was a former rental. A friend just bought a 2018 GX460 that was a former Hertz rental. Except for a aftermarket Pilkington windshield(more than likely installed by a new hire from Safelite), the car seemed like it was in good shape.

Now, Hertz and Enterprise are going after rideshare drivers. I know Hertz has a deal in place with Uber, the local Enterprise also had some Uber specials. Lyft is now getting into the rental business more so for their drivers. I think it's $200/week to rent a Uber-ready car from Hertz, insurance and maintenance included.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by joegreen
I work for Enterprise and it is true we cannot rent if it needs an oil change. It lets us know on the computer and corporate gets on our case about it if we dont handle it. The branches actually get rated on their oil change score in a company email that all branches can see and of course your branch always wants to beat the other branches. Yes the rentals get driven hard but they are always maintained and honestly i think driving them hard does them good because they always seem to run great. Plus if the car has any defects or issues i would assume they would probably show up sooner rather than later.

How often do the oil changes get done? Do they pay for the specified oil or does everyone get conventional?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I couldn't rent an enterprise rental even if I wanted. It seems you need to give them a couple days notice to rent one in my area.

Who doesn't? Any rental car establishment needs a reservation in advance.

I will have to check on the oil change interval as im not sure. We get our vehicles serviced at monro muffler. They also service hertz cars. I was talking with the gentleman there and he said hertz only pays for conventional oil changes where enterprise pays for semi synthetic. Take it for what its worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back