Instrument Cluster plastic cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Corolla was my first new car, but its come time to clean the instrument cluster plastic as dusting is no longer doing the job. So since it has no scratches on it presently, how do I keep it that way and get it clean? Any suggestions?

I take a terry cloth that is slightly damp and blot the dust off keeping the cloth turning each time (don't want to use the same part of the cloth over and over) then once its clear, more damp then clean dry cloth till done.

Paper towels are BAD.

Never had a scratched surface in my vehicles.

Bill

I like the Plexus suggestion. But if you don't care for being that fancy, Eagle 20/20 applied with a microfiber towel should work fine, too.

I have used Plastic X and a little drill buffer to smooth out all of the plastic in my Honda, works great for only 5 bucks.

I find those "Swifter" wipes that my wife has work great for getting the dust off. They're dry wipes and very soft.

I use Stoner's Invisible Glass. Spray it on heavy to wet all the dust and wipe with a microfiber cloth. Never scratched on yet.

I just use my mini california car duster to clean my dash and gauge cluster. Depends on how much it needs cleaning, mine have only ever needed dusting..

Mequire's plastic polish will clean the lense up and hide scratched if you're already at that point.

Otherwise - I agree with Bill in Utah..papertowels are bad...use only a damp soft rag or best yet - microfiber.

damp microfiber, then i wax the cluster plastic.. keeps it like new!.
laugh.gif

Be careful with glass cleaner. Years ago I was cleaning a 97 Camaro and, I believe, was using windex on the instrument panel and it wreaked havoc.

Always felt bad everytime I was in that car after that.

What's wrong with it? You say no scratches, but more than dust? Are there smudges? Megs Quick Interior Detailer should be fine. It's doesn't sound like you need an abrasive here ("no scratches"). Just use a damp MF cloth. If there were scratches, or yellowing, Megs PlastX works good.

Up here in my region of Canada we get down around -40C occasionally each winter. A fogged mirror effect sometimes takes place occasionally on the instrument cluster as the car warms up and the snow in the floor mats melts...anyways dust mixed with this moisture creates water marks if you will over the period of a few cycles. I have never touched the IC with fingers either so there are zero scratches under these marks.

So no, I need the furthest thing from abrasives. The idea about the soft terry/micro fibre cloth and water really seems like the best solution as its least invasive.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited:
do NOT use any kind of abrasive towel. Plexus or Meguiars Interior detail with a microfiber towel.

Plus a MF towel will leave no dust or lint behind.

I also use my air gun to blow the dust out of the nooks and crannies around the stearing wheel stalks and radio buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back