Computer reprpgramed
New air filter
All fluids changed/flushed
Fuel filter
Smoke test shows no smoke
Pressure test shows it holds.vacuum
MAF swapped
New dash instrument cluster
Throttle cables not catching on anything.

Car takes off up to 30 mph without touching accelerator. Needed smog test in March but have been waiting to fix this issue as it wont pass like this. At wits my end. Car runs like a champ 95 k on the clock. Family Owned since new. Meticulously maintianed. Already 4 grand deep into a 2k car.....too late to go back and scrap it now. Mechanic who did the work cant find problem is "taking a step back/break for a week to come back to job from new angle" .

Open to suggestions. Last issue to fix and then this 6 month headache will be over.

All replies and opinions appreciated.

I usually start by pinching off each vacuum hose one at a time to see if any make a difference. What are the fuel trims?
That I'm not sure of. I will ask when he opens tomorrow.

As someone said in your other thread about this same problem (please don't do that), installing the TPS improperly can prevent the throttle plate from closing fully. Take off the big hose from the air cleaner side and confirm the throttle plate is against the side of the throttle body when no one is pressing the gas.

What year is this bad larry?

If it's speed density (no MAF) take the air intake tube off so you can see the throttle body, and put your thumb over the idle air bypass hole when it's running. If that cuts the speed then the ECM wants it that high, for stupid reasons. Edit, I see it's a MAF, what the heck, try the test anyway.

Does it have an EGR valve? Those can be a vacuum leak but they usually sound "cammy" at idle.

Reactions: JC1
Some vehicles with the 3.1 V6 engine have a nylon vacuum line that is located behind the alternator and is then routed in a very round about manner into the passenger compartment and is used by the HVAC controller to control various HVAC actuators. Check the vacuum line to make sure it has not been chewed on by a rodent, broken, etc.

A rodent chewed a nice hole into the one on our 1999 Buick Century a few years back. Hole was located close to the alternator body and was a pain to find.

+2 on the IAC concerns.

Have you tried taking it out for a test drive? Maybe the IAC doesn't "re-set" itself until it reaches a predetermined speed.

Back